[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #3,316 of 3,678
That's disappointing.

I am yet to find a bluetooth amplifier which does display the music which is playing. Very odd as other devices (eg cars and watched) have had this sort of basic functionality for many years!
This is a niche device and fiio is not as big as the companies making the car and watch software and nor are they selling their software to third parties and they definitely have a smaller R&D department than these bigger companies doing car and smart watch stuff. also the display is small and black/white so your album art would look terrible on there. They didn't make this device to be a standalone audio player/DAP so it not a necessity really the priority is sound and battery life on this device which it does well for the most part and remains relatively small if you added a better display to view your album art it would kill the battery faster as the battery is pretty tiny and for how long it lasts it's already doing a great job for what it's advertised to do. For the price and for what it does not many companies out their developing better alternatives qudelix and ifi don't even have displays on their devices and they cost more as of currently so...

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #3,317 of 3,678
That's disappointing.

I am yet to find a bluetooth amplifier which does display the music which is playing. Very odd as other devices (eg cars and watched) have had this sort of basic functionality for many years!
You're looking in the wrong place look for a DAP with two way Bluetooth like the hiby R3 II for example. It will show you album art etc as per your expectations and you can use your phone as the streaming device and count to the DAP and use it like a BTR but obviously being a bigger device you will lose out on portability. Win some lose some

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #3,318 of 3,678
That's disappointing.

you don't usually look at the dongle's screen and it's OFF most of the time.

Dec 5, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #3,319 of 3,678
That's disappointing.

I had the same thoughts before buying. Especially when they make such great DAPs they need to have this in their DACs too.

Dec 5, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #3,320 of 3,678
Hey bro, I tried the btr15 with the he400se, you will need a balanced cable to run it at max potential as the 3.5mm doesn't do enough and my unit may have issue where it gets only slightly louder than my old btr5 at high gain on balanced and if this is just how it is then you possibly need to bump it at possibly even the highest volume on both your source and BTR15 but I know the he400se can get much louder without any issues with a dedicated amp desk/portable amp so I don't know if it's just my unit that doesn't output the advertised 340mv or if it's just that my expectations were too high going from 240mv to 340mv at 32ohms. I would wait to get more clarity about this situation. I have contacted hifigo and fiio for support to understand what's up and if it's just my device that's underperforming but I do think that it's still loud enough to enjoy your music if you are okay with the headphones only reaching about 70-80% of their actual ability. For me it's a bit on the low side as if I have to run high gain max volume on both the btr15 and my phone I'm assuming it's going to kill the battery of the btr15 much quicker making it less than ideal. I'll update you once I hear from fiio or hifigo. Also quick update for anyone that cares. The btr15 and btr5 don't have a major audible difference is quality of sound they seam to have a similar sound on stock settings and I don't think that's a bad thing. Sorry long for the rant😅
Hehe, no worries and thanks for responding. I guess saving for K11 seems the best bet for now.

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #3,321 of 3,678
I had the same thoughts before buying. Especially when they make such great DAPs they need to have this in their DACs too.
That's right - I'm not talking about album art, just scrolling text showing the name of the artist / song etc. I think even minidisc and walkman players did this sort of thing years ago! Would be a cool feature! @FiiO ?

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #3,322 of 3,678
That's right - I'm not talking about album art, just scrolling text showing the name of the artist / song etc. I think even minidisc and walkman players did this sort of thing years ago! Would be a cool feature! @FiiO ?
I hope they add it with a firmware update very miraculously. xD

Any Fiio BT DAC owners getting audio cutoffs when listening to Spotify on a laptop and an iPhone (both connected same time) and switching between listening on either of the two? I think after 2 days I can conclude with surety that it might be a problem with Spotify itself. If anyone knows a workaround lmk!

Edit: I logged in and out of Spotify and it worked once but now it gives no audio once again when switching to Spotify on the phone from laptop.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #3,324 of 3,678
I own betr 5. Does it make sense to upgrade to btr 15?
This is the question many of us are contemplating with currently no clear answer. I went ahead and ordered one a few weeks ago but still haven't received it yet. Early reports don't seem particularly promising though.

Dec 10, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #3,326 of 3,678
I own betr 5. Does it make sense to upgrade to btr 15?
I have both (btr5 is the older one not 2021) Sound wise it's the same, power output on my btr15 unit doesn't feel that much higher at max settings but the pre eq is nice and the 4.5mm is definitely much sturdier and the battery life is better, it's lighter too. The upgrade tho apart from the fact that my btr5 a weeker battery now that's it's really old but compared how long I remember it lasting when I got it the btr15 seems better. I have not had my 2.5mm port on the btr5 break once yet but I'm very gentle with my devices so take it with a grain of salt. I personally if my btr5 and good enough battery life, wouldn't upgrade to a btr15. Wait for a year or something till an even better device is out to upgrade as this is not sooo much better. just my experience tho.

Dec 10, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #3,329 of 3,678
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back