[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #3,271 of 3,678
@amery you mentioned you purchased the btr15 in this thread and your experience with it , have you also owned any one of the btr5's? I ordered the btr15 as the battery on my btr5 has deteriorated and doesn't last more than an hour running my HE400se on balanced, since I bought it in 2020 so it's expected (I have the OG one) if you have the btr5 could you be so kind to give me an idea about if I can expect any improvements / differences in sound quality? Haven't come across anyone mentioning difference in sound yet and I understand that it doesn't sound better than the btr7 so that's not what I'm expecting anyway but I am curious to how it will fair against the btr5. Would appreciate any input and if not I'll try to provide some of my own once I get mine sometime next week (not an audio nerd but i am a sound engineer and can do my best to compare them if anyone cares to find out)
I've had two BTR5s, one stopped charging one day and Amazon took it back, the other worked perfectly for almost two years and is now rehomed :)
I haven't noticed sound improvements but I'm amateur on that field. BT/LDAC seems to have significantly better (longer distance inside the house) reception before cracking.
My main motivation was the 4.4mm jack as I broke the 2.5mm three times

Nov 14, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #3,272 of 3,678
I've had two BTR5s, one stopped charging one day and Amazon took it back, the other worked perfectly for almost two years and is now rehomed :)
I haven't noticed sound improvements but I'm amateur on that field. BT/LDAC seems to have significantly better (longer distance inside the house) reception before cracking
My main motivation was the 4.4mm jack as I broke the 2.5mm three times
Thanks for your input buddy, appreciate it🤙 I agree the 4.4mm and feature upgrades in general were what drove me to pull the trigger without any real reviews available online. My brother has the he400se too so I'll be able to do an apples to apples comparison. Will try to give a quick update if anyone cares for it 😉

Nov 19, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #3,274 of 3,678
I would like to buy an iPhone, but it doesn't have the LDAC codec to use it with my Sony WH-1000XM4. If I buy a BTR15 and connect it with the cable (is it included?), is it compatible with the iPhone in order to take advantage of the LDAC codec?

Nov 19, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #3,275 of 3,678
I would like to buy an iPhone, but it doesn't have the LDAC codec to use it with my Sony WH-1000XM4. If I buy a BTR15 and connect it with the cable (is it included?), is it compatible with the iPhone in order to take advantage of the LDAC codec?
If you use it as a dongle dac, you'll have lossless audio (yes for that) but the btr15 through the Bluetooth connection will still require the source of the Bluetooth signal to use LDAC codec or it's still going to output AAC so you'll have the same issue as just using the xm4 over Bluetooth. If you're only looking to use it wired I would suggest a cheaper dongle dac instead as your xm4's have Bluetooth and if those are the only headphones you're going to use with it's not worth getting a btr15 in my opinion. Hope I have been of some help :)

Nov 19, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #3,277 of 3,678
Yes, I would use it with the cable connected to the iPhone when I'm in the office so I can have ldac. When I'm at home I use it with headphones with the jack, always with the cable connected.
LDAC is a "Bluetooth only"codec if your source doesn't support LDAC the whole set up won't use LDAC . I don't see how you would need the btr15 in this case. I feel like a dongle dac would be more appropriate as you're planning to just use the setup completely cabled. Only thing you'll get out of the btr15 is that it can use its own battery when connected to your iPhone and not drain it's battery to get power but.

Nov 19, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #3,278 of 3,678
LDAC is a "Bluetooth only"codec if your source doesn't support LDAC the whole set up won't use LDAC . I don't see how you would need the btr15 in this case. I feel like a dongle dac would be more appropriate as you're planning to just use the setup completely cabled. Only thing you'll get out of the btr15 is that it can use its own battery when connected to your iPhone and not drain it's battery to get power but.
I don't understand this part. If the iphone is connected with the cable to the fiio, why doesn't the fiio transmit in ldac to the headphones? iPhone bluetooth should be bypassed by the fiio since it is connected with the cable. what am I missing?

Nov 19, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #3,279 of 3,678
I don't understand this part. If the iphone is connected with the cable to the fiio, why doesn't the fiio transmit in ldac to the headphones? iPhone bluetooth should be bypassed by the fiio since it is connected with the cable. what am I missing?
…because LDAC is a a wireless (Bluetooth) protocol. That’s its entire purpose.

Nov 19, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #3,280 of 3,678
LDAC is as mentioned by EdgeDC above me a protocol to transmit high sample rate audio "high resolution audio" over Bluetooth as before LDAC existed the Bluetooth audio transmission quality was not as "hi-res" but a direct connection was and still is hi-res, when you connect a btr15 or any good dongle DAC to the phone directly it bypass the need for LDAC completely as now you have a direct connection to the source and you can have it output at the highest sample rate without Bluetooth codes as you're not using Bluetooth in a wired connection. LDAC transmit 32-Bit/384kHz audio but Direct connection to a dongle DAC/ BTR15 will also output a 32-Bit/384kHz signal but without the need for LDAC. LDAC=BLUETOOTH ONLY. also LDAC not some revolutionary tech that'll make your headphones sound better so if you're doing all this to make the 1000XM4 sound wayyy better that's not going to happen, maybe some additional details in sound but they are still XM4's afterall so don't focus on LDAC that's all.

Nov 19, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #3,281 of 3,678
Ok i understand that now, is only a bluetooth receiver.
The problem is that iPhone does not support high resolution Bluetooth codecs. So how should I go about listening to Bluetooth using the iPhone as a source without sacrificing quality loss?

Nov 19, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #3,282 of 3,678
iPhone & BTR15 - AAC only.

If you are Ok connecting BTR15 to your iPhone by cable, you will probably be better off with a standard wired dongle.

Nov 19, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #3,283 of 3,678
The problem is that iPhone does not support high resolution Bluetooth codecs. So how should I go about listening to Bluetooth using the iPhone as a source without sacrificing quality loss?
Basically you can't because the iPhone only supports hi-res audio over a wired connection which you can get with a smaller dongle DAC that support 32-Bit/384kHz (hi-res audio) but over Bluetooth with an iPhone you won't and that's that no workarounds for it. Also a btr15 Vs a cheaper dongle DAC won't show any major audible difference in sound quality or increase the volume of the headphones or anything substantial as your XM4's are active headphones and the audio processing is done inside the headphones themselves and you can't bypass that so quality of source doesn't matter that much imo but someone can correct me if I'm totally wrong here. Pretty much the BTR15 or anything like it that Bluetooth is useless to you and you should only look into a cheap dongle DAC at the most but don't expect your headphones sound quality to be drastically better either and if you aren't going to use streaming platforms like tidal/qobuzz or download/purchase HI-RES audio files (FLAC,WAV etc..) and you just use Spotify Apple music or something similar instead and don't do anything and don't even waste your money not even on a dongle DAC.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #3,284 of 3,678
I believe you have that part correct: BTR15 is, for BT, only a receiver. But something like a Hiby R2-II can act as a BT transmitter: you connect it to your iPhone via a “smart” cable (or cable + adapter) to get lossless audio, and set it to transmit BT LDAC to your XM4…. Not sure it’s a very practical configuration though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back