[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 27, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #2,101 of 3,707
Can this be used as a Bluetooth receiver and connect it to an analog receiver/amp? Via the 3.5mm output? Or I just connect my a Sony WM1A via the 3.5mm output? Will it make any difference?

Can it be used as an external DAC for iPhone and iPad?

Thanks!

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #2,102 of 3,707
Can this be used as a Bluetooth receiver and connect it to an analog receiver/amp? Via the 3.5mm output? Or I just connect my a Sony WM1A via the 3.5mm output? Will it make any difference?

Thanks!
I am not certain but I believe the USB port on the BTR5 is input only. The only outputs are the headphone jacks. I might be wrong though.

You should be able to use the BTR5 with iOS devices with the right cables. I have had spotty success on my iPad - seems to try to simultaneously connect to my Android phone via Bluetooth while also connecting to my iPad over my lightning to USBC cable (Lotoo brand cable). In the FIIO app settings I have the USB input prioritized, so that’s not my problem...

Edit: Seems that if I first connect the BTR5 to my iPad and then turn on the BTR5 I get a more reliable connection with the iPad, that is I don't have problem of the BT and wired alternating for control of the audio stream. So, yes, I suppose you could use it this way. Other than possibly balanced mode and more power, why would you want to use this approach, out of curiosity? Certainly could understand if you are driving moderate to power cans, otherwise the headphone jack on the iPad seems pretty good (though my iPad is a couple of years old, maybe new ones don’t have one?)

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #2,104 of 3,707

Thanks!
I own both and although I don't use for this set up I would deem the WM1A to be the better quality option. From information I have read it is recommended to use the 3.5mm output at 80 volume. Apparently there is about a second lag with the bluetooth audio for the WM1A so for movies or games you can either adjust in the player software if available or the BTR5 may be the better choice. I use android but it can be used as an external dac for both - the appropriate cable for Apple products may be included in the accessories(?).
For the amp/receiver the WM1A may be the best quality option but for portability the BTR5 is a great size, this was one of the reasons I chose it although I have yet to purchase a cable for android and try it out.

Sep 27, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #2,105 of 3,707
I'm looking for a portable DAC/AMP able to drive headphones up to 250/300 Ohm or hard to drive like the Sundara, is the BTR5 up to the task?
Probably but not optimal. The balanced connection outputs 240 mW into 32 ohms. I tried it with my 300 ohm ZMF Auteur and it didn't quite do it justice.

Sep 27, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #2,107 of 3,707
I am not certain but I believe the USB port on the BTR5 is input only. The only outputs are the headphone jacks. I might be wrong though.

You should be able to use the BTR5 with iOS devices with the right cables. I have had spotty success on my iPad - seems to try to simultaneously connect to my Android phone via Bluetooth while also connecting to my iPad over my lightning to USBC cable (Lotoo brand cable). In the FIIO app settings I have the USB input prioritized, so that’s not my problem...

Edit: Seems that if I first connect the BTR5 to my iPad and then turn on the BTR5 I get a more reliable connection with the iPad, that is I don't have problem of the BT and wired alternating for control of the audio stream. So, yes, I suppose you could use it this way. Other than possibly balanced mode and more power, why would you want to use this approach, out of curiosity? Certainly could understand if you are driving moderate to power cans, otherwise the headphone jack on the iPad seems pretty good (though my iPad is a couple of years old, maybe new ones don’t have one?)
Thanks!

I want to use it so I can get a better DAC when using my phone or tablet. The USB C- 3.5mm dongle it’s capped at 48khz. And the Ligthing to 3.5mm is only16bit 44.1khz. And yes, neither my iPhone, nor the iPad have a headphone out. The Bluetooth on iOS devices is AAC only, not LDAC or AptX HD.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #2,108 of 3,707
I own both and although I don't use for this set up I would deem the WM1A to be the better quality option. From information I have read it is recommended to use the 3.5mm output at 80 volume. Apparently there is about a second lag with the bluetooth audio for the WM1A so for movies or games you can either adjust in the player software if available or the BTR5 may be the better choice. I use android but it can be used as an external dac for both - the appropriate cable for Apple products may be included in the accessories(?).
For the amp/receiver the WM1A may be the best quality option but for portability the BTR5 is a great size, this was one of the reasons I chose it although I have yet to purchase a cable for android and try it out.

Thanks!

I use my WM1A with the 3.5mm headphone out to a RCA cable to my pre amp. But most people says I shouldnt do that, that it could damage the DAP. So I want to use the BTR5 as a LDAC receiver. But don’t know how good will that be? I could buy a Bluetooth receiver like the ifi Zen Blue, or similar. But since I cañ use this as an external DAC and a BT receiver, I thought I just buy one device, instead of two.

Sep 27, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #2,109 of 3,707
Thanks!

I use my WM1A with the 3.5mm headphone out to a RCA cable to my pre amp. But most people says I shouldnt do that, that it could damage the DAP. So I want to use the BTR5 as a LDAC receiver. But don’t know how good will that be? I could buy a Bluetooth receiver like the ifi Zen Blue, or similar. But since I cañ use this as an external DAC and a BT receiver, I thought I just buy one device, instead of two.
You're welcome.
I am looking into getting an amp to use with my WM1A 3.5mm output and from what I have read on the WM1A/1Z thread this is the common/only method and I think is even recommended by Sony - I am certain it won't cause any damage as it is purely output but you may want to double check as I don't have actual experience. The 4.4mm output is a no-no unless it the amp is specifically designed to accept the balanced output like the Oriolus BA300s.
If you want to save money you can just use your WM1A but otherwise the BTR5 may offer other uses. Depending on specs for your earphones or headphones the new Fiio Q3 might offer higher specs if you need them but the BTR5 wins for size, although it can be slightly awkward to tether to a phone.
If from using your WM1A you have 4.4mm cables for you earphones the new Q3 will have 2.5/3.5/4.4mm.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #2,110 of 3,707
Thanks!

I want to use it so I can get a better DAC when using my phone or tablet. The USB C- 3.5mm dongle it’s capped at 48khz. And the Ligthing to 3.5mm is only16bit 44.1khz. And yes, neither my iPhone, nor the iPad have a headphone out. The Bluetooth on iOS devices is AAC only, not LDAC or AptX HD.
I just checked and playing Tidal out of my iPad into the BTR5 through usb shows up to 96khz. I have a few sample wav and flac files that I can confirm run up to 192khz (as demonstrated on the BTR5 LED display). The specs say up to 384khz so I can believe it, though I don’t have source material to prove it.

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #2,111 of 3,707
I just checked and playing Tidal out of my iPad into the BTR5 through usb shows up to 96khz. I have a few sample wav and flac files that I can confirm run up to 192khz (as demonstrated on the BTR5 LED display). The specs say up to 384khz so I can believe it, though I don’t have source material to prove it.

Thanks, that might be a Tidal limit. Do you have Vox? I use Vox and have all my music in the cloud, about half of it high res. It supposedly outputs at the DAC highest resolution. Can you doenload Voxm upload some high res files and test it? It’s free with some limitations.

I know it’s just a minute difference between 96khz and 192khz. Or in my case 48khz and 96khz. But I can use it for that, to be a bluetooth receiver for my main analog system, and for my car, my car stereo only accepts SBC Bluetooth, I’m guessing LDAC will be a huge improvement.

Thanks again!

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #2,112 of 3,707
You're welcome.
I am looking into getting an amp to use with my WM1A 3.5mm output and from what I have read on the WM1A/1Z thread this is the common/only method and I think is even recommended by Sony - I am certain it won't cause any damage as it is purely output but you may want to double check as I don't have actual experience. The 4.4mm output is a no-no unless it the amp is specifically designed to accept the balanced output like the Oriolus BA300s.
If you want to save money you can just use your WM1A but otherwise the BTR5 may offer other uses. Depending on specs for your earphones or headphones the new Fiio Q3 might offer higher specs if you need them but the BTR5 wins for size, although it can be slightly awkward to tether to a phone.
If from using your WM1A you have 4.4mm cables for you earphones the new Q3 will have 2.5/3.5/4.4mm.

Thanks, yeah, I use my WM1A with 4.4mm cables and IEM’s, I don’t have anything fancy, just Chifi. And Sony XM with LDAC. I only want the BTR5 to bypass the DAP 3.5mm out connection. And use LDAC to the BTR5 and connect that to my preamp. And I would also use it for the same with my car, the stereo in my car only uses SBC, so I guess LDAC would be a huge difference. And I also want it to get better audio form my iPad and iPhone as an external DAC, and connect headphones directly to that.

I’m between buying a Sony MDR 1AM2 and this BTR5. Or buying a better Bluetooth headphone, like the Shure Aonic 50.

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #2,113 of 3,707
Thanks, yeah, I use my WM1A with 4.4mm cables and IEM’s, I don’t have anything fancy, just Chifi. And Sony XM with LDAC. I only want the BTR5 to bypass the DAP 3.5mm out connection. And use LDAC to the BTR5 and connect that to my preamp. And I would also use it for the same with my car, the stereo in my car only uses SBC, so I guess LDAC would be a huge difference. And I also want it to get better audio form my iPad and iPhone as an external DAC, and connect headphones directly to that.

I’m between buying a Sony MDR 1AM2 and this BTR5. Or buying a better Bluetooth headphone, like the Shure Aonic 50.
The 1AM2 would also go nicely with your WM1A and using the 4.4mm output would give you more battery life. I prefer wired over bluetooth headphones for various reasons, I feel the BTR5 gives you the ability to have the advantages of having cabled headphones but also the ability to use them with a great sounding small bluetooth device that can also be used like a remote - 2 for 1

Sep 28, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #2,114 of 3,707
New added Custom button function,BTR5 FW2.0 is now available!

The following changes and improvements have been made in FW2.0:

1.Added a new function of renaming the Bluetooth device. (FiiO Control App->Setting menu->Custom device name)

2.Added new options to the APP: Custom button function, Long press/Double tap the volume button to switch songs. (You would need to install FiiO Music APP V3.0 or FiiO Control APP latest version)

3.Fixed the issue where there was no prompt when turning the device off and when plugging in earphones after the device is turning on.

4.Fixed the issue where under Bluetooth multipoint pairing, if Device A is answering a phone call and Device B also had one later, after Device B hung up, the voice of Device A could not be heard.

5.Fixed the issue of text misses under USB in-vehicle mode.

6.Miscellaneous bug fixes.

BTR5 FW2.0: Click here

How to update the BTR5: Click here

USB DAC Driver(v4.47.0):
Click here
hey there, i have updated my BTR5 and install the FiiO Control App, which menu to custom the button function?

Sep 28, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #2,115 of 3,707
New added Custom button function,BTR5 FW2.0 is now available!

The following changes and improvements have been made in FW2.0:

1.Added a new function of renaming the Bluetooth device. (FiiO Control App->Setting menu->Custom device name)

2.Added new options to the APP: Custom button function, Long press/Double tap the volume button to switch songs. (You would need to install FiiO Music APP V3.0 or FiiO Control APP latest version)

3.Fixed the issue where there was no prompt when turning the device off and when plugging in earphones after the device is turning on.

4.Fixed the issue where under Bluetooth multipoint pairing, if Device A is answering a phone call and Device B also had one later, after Device B hung up, the voice of Device A could not be heard.

5.Fixed the issue of text misses under USB in-vehicle mode.

6.Miscellaneous bug fixes.

BTR5 FW2.0: Click here

How to update the BTR5: Click here

USB DAC Driver(v4.47.0):
Click here

IOS app not updated yet? Dont see any new custom button function yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back