[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #1,231 of 3,679
Anybody else have "pop" issue with their btr-5? Mine was perfect for around a month until it started to have all kinda sudden crazy loud pop noises randomly, Im using aptx HD and LL modes with balanced output, pops are much louder on HD mode but LL does similar thing aswell, this problem has gotten worse over time and now I cant even use the adapter anymore, it does it all the time.

My older BTR-3s are still working perfectly, nothing such in them.

Mar 15, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #1,233 of 3,679
Anybody else have "pop" issue with their btr-5? Mine was perfect for around a month until it started to have all kinda sudden crazy loud pop noises randomly, Im using aptx HD and LL modes with balanced output, pops are much louder on HD mode but LL does similar thing aswell, this problem has gotten worse over time and now I cant even use the adapter anymore, it does it all the time.

It only happens over balanced output AND only with aptX HD and LL?

Balanced with SBC, AAC, or LDAC works OK?

Is the 3.5mm still good?

Mar 15, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #1,234 of 3,679
It only happens over balanced output AND only with aptX HD and LL?

Balanced with SBC, AAC, or LDAC works OK?

Is the 3.5mm still good?
I just tested with both outputs, happens on both but havent tested other codecs as I only use those. I wonder if its somekinda overheat issue even though Im always running from battery only, it can work fine for like an hour in the morning before it starts acting out. Definitely broken unit. I dont have this issue with btr3 though, I can run that 8h straight.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #1,235 of 3,679

Do you use any other BT devices - like keyboard / mouse / speakers? Usually interference can sound like that - brief interruptions or "catchup's" in data come across as a sharp interruption. See if turning off other BT devices near you helps.

Maybe try switching to SBC or LDAC? On LDAC allow Adaptive Bit Rate... have you looked at the Android Developer Bluetooth options? Changed them from default? You might try resetting to defaults and see if that helps. Or, are you on PC only - or iOS/MacOS?

If you aren't charging the battery while on 2.5mm balanced the temps shouldn't be too bad. On 2.5mm balanced it's going to run warmer, but as long as you don't cover the unit - allow good air-flow over it - it should be fine.

Perhaps try starting out on 3.5mm from "cold" and see if that's it. Starting out on 2.5mm you might be heating it up enough for it to be too late to switch to 3.5mm - if heat is involved at all.

Distance interference can also cause the same issue. If I get my body or other obstacle in the way - between the BTR5 and the BT transmitter I can also get sharp interference. When you say "pop" I usually think of a sharp discharge like a bad capacitor, but there is a definite difference between that and simple BT signal corruption due to interference or interruption of signal.

Try switching to USB DAC if you can to eliminate BT as the source of the "pop", and see if the BTR5 runs better - try with Charge=Off and start with 3.5mm before moving to 2.5mm. If the noise stops it's not the DAC / AMP, it's the radio / BT somehow loosing signal integrity.

Also, see if there are any other close by 2.4ghz devices that might be overloading the BTR5. If you are sitting close to a 2.4ghz router or 2.4ghz extension phone, or other 2.4ghz device - again keyboards and mice. Try to distance them from your use area for the BTR5 - or get the source closer to the BTR5 without anything blocking the signal path.

Even "holding" the BTR5 can block the BT signal if you wrap your fingers around it, or get it stuck in a pocket with other things, etc etc - anything active or passive that can get in the way of the source BT signal and your BTR BT receiver can cause signal interruptions.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #1,236 of 3,679
Sorry, should have edited this before now. I found out that upon trying to recreate using EQ on USB DAC mode with the BTR5 it turns out that it must have been 1 of 2 things, both of which involve a BT connection vs the USB DAC connection.

1) When switching from BT to USB DAC mode the BTR5 didn't actually do that completely - I must have still been on BT.

2) When firmly connected via USB DAC I must have pushed up the BTR5 in it's leather case and the cable slightly dislodged and the BTR5 switched to BT.

The odd thing is I used the BTR5 EQ back and forth for a long time and checked the display every time to see if I was still seeing the 384k instead of APTX, so I don't know how the BTR5 could have been in BT mode - it's very strange.

I'm adding this as I was looking for this post to add what I just experienced with the BTR3k I just got today. It seems to be connected to both BT and USB DAC at the same time, as I even thought the USB cable was firmly in place it didn't sound like it switched out of BT and in to USB DAC mode - so I had to disable BT on the PC and then the audio changed right as I disabled BT.

I'm gonna need to see what's really going on at that transition point between switching from BT to USB DAC mode when connecting / disconnecting the USB cable from the BTR5 and BTR3K.

I'll post a reply when I get those results, eventually...

@FiiO - I've noticed that the BTR5 EQ actually "works" over USB DAC. :)

After switching over from IEM's on 2.5mm to over the ear headphones 3.5mm - driving them at H Gain and higher volume (100% on PC) set to mid 20's on the BTR5, I finally can hear real effects from the EQ settings.

On my IEM's the EQ doesn't kick in at all, maybe the Gain / Volume are not high enough?

The BTR5 doesn't act like a "loudness" EQ that affects low volume playback, so far as I've experienced the BTR5 EQ it needs serious drive to have a discernable effect.

I've found movie soundtracks using EQ "Classic" are more dynamic, with EQ Hip Hop a bit less so, and EQ Jazz (clear voicing) is good for clarity. I haven't tried any custom / User settings yet.

I also played a bit with the Filters. I wouldn't swear it's so, but I think I enjoy Fast over Slow, and both those over the default APOD 1.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #1,237 of 3,679
Anybody else have "pop" issue with their btr-5?

I did and it was part of the reason I parted ways with mine. My UP4 never did so. No clue why. It was only one reason for the switch so I didn't troubleshoot it very much at all, but there was absolutely no other BT activity in my home in either unit's use cases at the time. UP4 has other annoyances but that isn't one of them for me personally.

@FiiO - I've noticed that the BTR5 EQ actually "works" over USB DAC. :)

Was there a firmware update recently that provided this change. EQing was obvious at any volume with any source when using BT connection mode during my time with the BTR5, but EQ had absolutely no effect whatsoever when using it via USB-DAC mode for me.

Mar 16, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #1,238 of 3,679
I did and it was part of the reason I parted ways with mine. My UP4 never did so. No clue why. It was only one reason for the switch so I didn't troubleshoot it very much at all, but there was absolutely no other BT activity in my home in either unit's use cases at the time. UP4 has other annoyances but that isn't one of them for me personally.

Was there a firmware update recently that provided this change. EQing was obvious at any volume with any source when using BT connection mode during my time with the BTR5, but EQ had absolutely no effect whatsoever when using it via USB-DAC mode for me.
Definitely sounds heat related. I would maybe try and place it on top of some kind of cooling gel pad (with a fabric cover to avoid condensation) and see if it makes a difference. If so, then it's likely heat related and you'll have to decide what to do from there.

Mar 16, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #1,239 of 3,679
Definitely sounds heat related. I would maybe try and place it on top of some kind of cooling gel pad (with a fabric cover to avoid condensation) and see if it makes a difference. If so, then it's likely heat related and you'll have to decide what to do from there.

I already parted with it, as I mentioned. It wasn't for me. Prefer the simplicity of the UP4 (though I may not even hang onto that one).

Mar 16, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #1,240 of 3,679
I was on USC C and the display showed 384khz connected on the BTR5 and that's why I made the post, Previously I hadn't noticed any EQ effect by enabling any preset, but now after switching from IEM's 2.5mm L Gain and low volume required to drive them - where I didn't hear any EQ on either BT or DAC - now on 3.5mm H Gain on PC DAC in Movies I am hearing a difference in EQ settings, not in some other content though... so I need to spend some time finding out what material is favoring the EQ working.

I'll post an update after some more listening later this week...

Update: Sorry I thought I'd have time by now to try to recreate what I heard, but I haven't heard it again - the only thing I can think of is the tight fit of the USB C cable might have popped out and switched to BT, but that doesn't make sense either as I know I double checked to make sure that wasn't what happened at the time - I know I saw 384K in the display not APTX. I just tried it again going back and forth, but it might have been the source material I was listening to at the time. I think it was Midway DVD... but I can't recreate that now with the material I have here today. I'll keep looking for it and see if I can get Midway back to test it.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #1,241 of 3,679
So far under normal operation there hasn't been a problem with heat. The only time I had a heat problem was when I buried the BTR5 between 2 pillows, with Charge=On, 2.5mm running for over an hour and a half - then I heard distortion which disappeared when I cooled down the BTR5. But, there were no "pops" related to heat.
I already parted with it, as I mentioned. It wasn't for me. Prefer the simplicity of the UP4 (though I may not even hang onto that one).
What else are you looking at as a replacement for the BTR5/UP4?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #1,242 of 3,679
I was on USC C and the display showed 384khz connected on the BTR5 and that's why I made the post, Previously I hadn't noticed any EQ effect by enabling any preset, but now after switching from IEM's 2.5mm L Gain and low volume required to drive them - where I didn't hear any EQ on either BT or DAC - now on 3.5mm H Gain on PC DAC in Movies I am hearing a difference in EQ settings, not in some other content though... so I need to spend some time finding out what material is favoring the EQ working.

I'll post an update after some more listening later this week...
I can tell you when I charge my HiBy R6 Pro in the case by USB-C from a fast charge power bank it gets REALLY hot...

Mar 16, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #1,243 of 3,679
What else are you looking at as a replacement for the BTR5/UP4?

I'm largely not. In all honesty I'll probably just hang onto the UP4, but it's sort of novelty and pure convenience. The thing is I rarely use BT. If I'm listening on the go I'm just plugged into my LG phone and I'm more than happy with the wired quad-DAC in that case. I get the appeal of BT units generally but also don't need another thing to charge. :)
That said.... the LDAC performance on the UP4 is *very* good. (I'm also not in this thread to knock the BTR5 - I just found it too big and fiddly and just not quite refined/simplistic for a mobile device, though I fully understand why some love it. I just didn't get on with it though I wanted to.)

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #1,244 of 3,679
I can tell you when I charge my HiBy R6 Pro in the case by USB-C from a fast charge power bank it gets REALLY hot...
I've only used my 25w fast charger when I first got the BTR5 to top it off, but otherwise my PC or Note 10+ have been charging it while I listen on 3.5mm and on 2.5mm I've been trying to run on battery only after the BTR5 is topped off in charge. That lets me reduce the heat generation in the BTR5, but I'm probably being too aggressive - after running it overheated once I want to not do that again.

Even for my Note 10+ I don't use fast charging that often, as I don't wear down the battery enough to need a fast charge (below 60%), so I have it default to normal charging to keep the battery heat down in the Note 10+ as well.

Maybe you can find another charger that doesn't support fast charging to feed your Hiby R6 Pro to reduce the thermals when charging it too?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #1,245 of 3,679
I'm largely not. In all honesty I'll probably just hang onto the UP4, but it's sort of novelty and pure convenience. The thing is I rarely use BT. If I'm listening on the go I'm just plugged into my LG phone and I'm more than happy with the wired quad-DAC in that case. I get the appeal of BT units generally but also don't need another thing to charge. :)
That said.... the LDAC performance on the UP4 is *very* good. (I'm also not in this thread to knock the BTR5 - I just found it too big and fiddly and just not quite refined/simplistic for a mobile device, though I fully understand why some love it. I just didn't get on with it though I wanted to.)
If the BTR5 were any smaller my large hands might have trouble operating it. :)

The BTR5 is great for me so far and gives me the ability to get up and walk around with only a short transfer interruption when changing from DAC to BT and back again. BT headphones going outside have been cumbersome, and I'd rather take my IEM's with me much of the time, the BTR5 lets me use either easily.

I hope my BTR5 keeps running well for a long long time...but I guess there's always the UP4 if it doesn't...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back