[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #1,201 of 3,679
Charging seems broken.
When I only listen on BT or charging from disabled state the unit is cold (around 20C).
However, when I charge when the unit in powered on state, even not listening to anything, the unit is getting hot (>40C).
It seems something is not working properly (firmware), as in such case the unit could be slightly warmer...
I've noticed the same thing and I prefer to run the BTR5 battery cool during charging and drain, so I've started disabling charging (Charge=Off) while using the BTR5 and only charging with the BTR5 powered off.

@FiiO - I was wondering if the BTR5 temps when charging while in operation is something that the engineers can tune to reduce temperatures? I don't need high current high voltage rapid charging while I am listening to the BTR5 - I'm sure a trickle charge would be enough to keep the BTR5 topped off when full (most of the time), and even if the BTR5 battery is low when running + charging the BTR5 could be a little less aggressive in restoring full charge. Thanks for checking this out @FiiO

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #1,202 of 3,679
Guess what? My BTR5 has just been stolen. I met with friend in a bar, and when he came I've put iems in a case and in my pocket, and totally forgot about BTR5, I left it on the sofa. After we left an hour later when I realised it's not in my pocket I went back there. Needles to say waiter doesn't know anything, no one reported it and it's not there on the sofa.
I cannot describe how I'm feeling right now. Yes it's my fault but still I wanna get drunk and start a fight right now.
Take good care of your gear, it hurts a lot when something like this happens. I am always very careful, but this time I messed up :frowning2:

Mar 10, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #1,203 of 3,679
Started to feel worried that I am going to ruin my 3,5 mm audio out on my new laptop by accidentally bumping my hand into the male connector from time to time.
So I just bought the BTR5 from https://www.fiio.eu/

Do any of you guys know if that site is legit? Are there any better deals to be had for a person living in the northern "communist" parts of Europe?

Mar 10, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #1,204 of 3,679
It should be. :wink:
If you're struggling with it, go to Fiio-shop.de .
This is where i've bought mine.

But it shows out of stock atm.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #1,205 of 3,679
Guess what? My BTR5 has just been stolen. I met with friend in a bar, and when he came I've put iems in a case and in my pocket, and totally forgot about BTR5, I left it on the sofa. After we left an hour later when I realised it's not in my pocket I went back there. Needles to say waiter doesn't know anything, no one reported it and it's not there on the sofa.
I cannot describe how I'm feeling right now. Yes it's my fault but still I wanna get drunk and start a fight right now.
Take good care of your gear, it hurts a lot when something like this happens. I am always very careful, but this time I messed up :frowning2:

Ah, bummer. I left an expensive camera on the seat of a cab in Cancun many moons ago. I feel your pain.

Mar 11, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #1,206 of 3,679
At least you didn't lose your wife's wedding ring...

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #1,208 of 3,679
At least you didn't lose your wife's wedding ring...

You won't believe this but I lost the ring too. Lol.
I lost it doing some work around the house. She was surprisingly OK with it :) but 2 years later I found it exactly where I thought it slipped. I was just too lazy to move literally a ton of stuff I put on top of it.... :) true story.

Either way f.. k it, new BTR5 is on the way.

Mar 12, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #1,209 of 3,679
Has anyone else had any problems with the 2.5mm jack on their BTR5?

Have had mine since December and have been really enjoying the unit. Great sound both over Bluetooth and also wired from iPhone.

In the last few weeks however the 2.5mm jack has been having problems. It seems to be slightly loose and so even the slightest movement results in the sound breaking up. This makes the 2.5mm jack pretty much unusable when out and about. If kept absoluitely still it is fine. Have reverted to using the 3.5 jack with an adapter for my balanced IEM cables.

Have raised it with Fiio support but they can't replace it without me first sending it back to China for inspection which will leave me without a unit for quite a while I would imagine. Interested to know if anyone else has had the same problem or not.

Great unit otherwise.

Mar 12, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #1,210 of 3,679
Has anyone else had any problems with the 2.5mm jack on their BTR5?

Have had mine since December and have been really enjoying the unit. Great sound both over Bluetooth and also wired from iPhone.

In the last few weeks however the 2.5mm jack has been having problems. It seems to be slightly loose and so even the slightest movement results in the sound breaking up. This makes the 2.5mm jack pretty much unusable when out and about. If kept absoluitely still it is fine. Have reverted to using the 3.5 jack with an adapter for my balanced IEM cables.

Have raised it with Fiio support but they can't replace it without me first sending it back to China for inspection which will leave me without a unit for quite a while I would imagine. Interested to know if anyone else has had the same problem or not.

Great unit otherwise.

No issues with mine yet but not a heavy user.

Mar 12, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #1,213 of 3,679
Hi!

I saw that it was answered before that in SE only one dac from the BTR5 will be used, while both will be used in the balanced output. I have a 2.5mm male balanced to 3.5SE adaptor, which basically just cancels the output from R- and L- before it arrives in the SE 3.5mm connector. Is it worth using it for my earphones, besides the extra output power from balanced? In another words, will the dual-dac make a difference?

I ask that because I have a shanling m0, and although the btr5 have dual oscilators, is a hard sell to buy one of those things if I'm going to use the same dac in a very similar configuration. Of course, voice support is a plus but even though... I'd just like to know if I'll have any improvement on SQ. :)

Mar 12, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #1,214 of 3,679
Hi!

I saw that it was answered before that in SE only one dac from the BTR5 will be used, while both will be used in the balanced output. I have a 2.5mm male balanced to 3.5SE adaptor, which basically just cancels the output from R- and L- before it arrives in the SE 3.5mm connector. Is it worth using it for my earphones, besides the extra output power from balanced? In another words, will the dual-dac make a difference?

I ask that because I have a shanling m0, and although the btr5 have dual oscilators, is a hard sell to buy one of those things if I'm going to use the same dac in a very similar configuration. Of course, voice support is a plus but even though... I'd just like to know if I'll have any improvement on SQ. :)
I don't use IEMs much and the ones I have a decidedly mid-fi (which are still quite enjoyable), so for me, I always go for more power to drive my full-sized headphones, assuming the implementation is good. You may experience better dynamics, but that's a rabbit hole debate. I would try both and see which setup you prefer. In the end, your opinion is the only one that matters.

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #1,215 of 3,679
Hi im quite new here but i had so many daps and iems and i bought this dac because my note 10+ doesn't have jack. Sound of this little fella is very good and i like how it sounds with my dn2000j but i don't understand what are those filter options used for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back