[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #1,681 of 3,679
Thank you to all for answers!

I always mess up with these descriptions. You mean: an adapter with a 3.5 SE MALE connector, and a 2.5 BE FEMALE one - right?

I've been using this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Yes, exactly!

Beautiful this ones! The DJ35AG is the new model and it costs 5$ more than the DJ35A.
Is it worth spending more because it is a decided improvement over the previous model, or is there not a big difference?

Jun 1, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #1,682 of 3,679
Thank you to all for answers!

Beautiful this ones! The DJ35AG is the new model and it costs 5$ more than the DJ35A.
Is it worth spending more because it is a decided improvement over the previous model, or is there not a big difference?
Nice catch, I blew past the "A" vs "AG" differentiation, I thought it was a "typo", but no, the "G" is "GOLD" as in plating:
1591008332893.png

You could buy both, test them out and see if you can tell any audible difference, but I'd assume "no difference".

My Stainless Steel versions will wear fine over the years, IDK if Gold plating will help or hurt - sometimes it flakes or peels off...

If you do get both, please let us know what you think about the Gold vs Stainless Steel finishes :)

Jun 1, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #1,683 of 3,679
Could anyone tell me the average battery life for the BTR5 in USB-DAC mode and charging set to off? Has anyone tested it?

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #1,684 of 3,679
...I did break down and order the "Realm of the Sky Edition" BTR5 from the FiiO Store because it came with DHL shipping, and it's almost here - arrived at LA Gateway 2 days ago... - estimated delivery Wed June 3:
  • Departed Facility in LOS ANGELES GATEWAY,CA-USA
    2020-05-31 21:38:58

• Processed at LOS ANGELES GATEWAY,CA-USA
    2020-05-31 21:38:14

• Processed at LOS ANGELES GATEWAY,CA-USA
    2020-05-31 02:26:26

• Clearance processing complete at LOS ANGELES GATEWAY,CA-USA
    2020-05-30 22:14:00

• Arrived at Sort Facility LOS ANGELES GATEWAY,CA-USA
    2020-05-30 22:09:51

• Departed Facility in HONG KONG-HKG
    2020-05-30 13:48:58

• Processed at HONG KONG-HKG
    2020-05-30 12:47:10

• Customs status updated
    2020-05-30 09:36:00

• Arrived at Sort Facility HONG KONG-HKG
    2020-05-30 06:24:37

• Departed Facility in HONG KONG-HKG
    2020-05-30 04:53:58

• Processed at HONG KONG-HKG
    2020-05-30 04:53:22

• Shipment picked up
    2020-05-29 23:52:49
Amazingly my DHL shipment of the FiiO BTR5 "Realm of the Sky Edition" made it from LA to SF over night, and was delivered at 12 noon today. :)
  • Delivered - Signed for by
    2020-06-01 12:00:14

• With delivery courier
    2020-06-01 09:55:19

• Arrived at Delivery Facility in SAN FRANCISCO,CA-USA
    2020-06-01 05:32:12

Ordering from FiiO on AliExpress (with DHL shipping) is a great - fast - buying experience. :)

Could anyone tell me the average battery life for the BTR5 in USB-DAC mode and charging set to off? Has anyone tested it?
For me it was between 4-5 hours, it was a rough estimate based on clock watching not a timer or anything exact like that. It was also early on in my ownership of the BTR5, and usually the battery run time improves after the first few charge cycles.

I've continued with "Charge=On" since then, so it's always fully charged. Fortunately none of my devices care much if the BTR5 is drawing power. :)

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #1,685 of 3,679

I did, as I only use it as a USB DAC (I don't like BT sound quality).

It fluctuates a bit depending on
- input file resolution
- output port mainly (balanced consumes more than single ended)
- volume

Playing a mixture of 16 and 24 bit flacs, 30/60 volume, single ended I could get 4h30. Playing the same mixture balanced ended I got 3h55.

Quite disappointing as - in general - I am with this product that should much more honestly be marketed as a BT-only box.

When used via USB
- battery life kinda sucks
- internal EQ does not work
- internal MIC does not work
- DAC must be reset every time source file resolution changes(*)
... I'll find another quirk today stay tuned :frowning2:

(*) To avoid that
- if the host is a pc, using Foobar / MusicBee with ASIO drivers is mandatory
- if the host is an android phone, setting BTR5 to USB 1.0 mode is mandatory, but this way max supported input resolution is 24b/96K

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #1,686 of 3,679
I just picked up my BTR5 today, charged it up paired it with all my devices. I have only spent about 2 minutes listening to it and I'm already very happy with this little device.
I owned the BTR3 briefly last year but sold it when moving on to a Q5s. I loved the Q5s but I have reassessed my gear and decided to keep things simple so have sold it and now use a Sony WM1A for my music. My main reason to get the BTR5 was when using with my Nvidia Shield's bluetooth for movies etc, but I could also benefit from having an ultra small option to use with my phone if I didn't want to take my WM1A out.
I just chose the BTR5 expecting it to be a BTR3 with balanced output giving myself the option of more power, but have realised how awesome this is - I had no idea it had a display with ability to make changes to settings, or the options available in the app. From my very brief listen while setting up it sounds impressive too - well done Fiio.

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #1,687 of 3,679
- if the host is an android phone, setting BTR5 to USB 1.0 mode is mandatory, but this way max supported input resolution is 24b/96K

This, I've been looking for on how to use USB-DAC in my android. So, i need to change it to USB 1.0.
---
So far BTR5 is pretty decent, two main complain being the BT signal sucks and its not as seamless as Dragonfly when being used as USB-DAC.
Sound wise, It's cleaner and have better seperation than my Dragonfly Red, but the vocal still nicer on Red.

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #1,688 of 3,679
This, I've been looking for on how to use USB-DAC in my android. So, i need to change it to USB 1.0.

You can also use it as USB 2.0 but every time you switch from playing (e.g.) a 44.1K file to a 96K file on the source, the BTR5 won't switch for you and distort big time.
The workaround is disconnect and reconnect the USB cable. That will properly reset BTR5's internal DAC.

So far BTR5 is pretty decent, two main complain being the BT signal sucks and its not as seamless as Dragonfly when being used as USB-DAC.
Sound wise, It's cleaner and have better seperation than my Dragonfly Red, but the vocal still nicer on Red.

BT signal is not great, and especially (although this is not BTR5's fault) even LDAC990 introduces sound degradation which I do hear on quite a few well masterd high resolution tracks. I never auditioned a DF Red but I concur on finding BTR5 clean and resolving, especially on BE out. Much less warm then Hiby R3. Slightly warmer than Meizu Hifi DAC Pro (CS43131) on the other hand.

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #1,689 of 3,679
I managed to use my BTR5 with my Android phone using USB 2 with no difficulty.
USB 1 on Android limits the BTR5 to lower sampling rates - eg DSD wont work.
On my Huawei (they say they are problematic on USB audio) I had zero problem.
You do need to have the right software player though - Fiio's own works fine.
You see, the software player needs to connect through the Android system to the DAC. not all players can do this.

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #1,692 of 3,679
if the host is an android phone, setting BTR5 to USB 1.0 mode is mandatory
Not correct - it works fine with USB 2 - switches sampling frequency automatically, even native DSD works flawlessly.
Now if you manually choose USB 1 - then you will be encountering the problems you were explaining.

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #1,693 of 3,679
Not correct - it works fine with USB 2 - switches sampling frequency automatically, even native DSD works flawlessly.

Which Android version have you tested this on?

On Android 7 (Samsung S6) it does _not_ switch sampling frequencies automatically when using USB 2.0 neither by using Fiio app, Hiby Music, or UAPP as a player.

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #1,694 of 3,679
Which Android version have you tested this on?
Version 9 I believe.
if your phone is old, then that's an incompatibility particular to that version or phone.
Time to get a newer phone?
As I said, everything worked flawlessly with my Huawei and BTR5.
BT worked fine, although range is very temperimental on 990kb/s LDAC.
USB worked perfectly up to DSD - automatically.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #1,695 of 3,679
Version 9 I believe.
if your phone is old, then that's an incompatibility particular to that version or phone.
Time to get a newer phone?
As I said, everything worked flawlessly with my Huawei and BTR5.
BT worked fine, although range is very temperimental on 990kb/s LDAC.
USB worked perfectly up to DSD - automatically.

I'll check on another Android version, I should have at least 1 Android 8 at home.
That said, this does not forgive Fiio by 1 bit: if their product supports Android just from a certain version up fine, but they should state that on their published specs.

LDAC990 is picky, yes, and offers lower sq when compared to cabled connection anyway so I'm not considering it. But that's a personal choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back