FiiO BTA30,Hi-Fi desktop bluetooth receiver&transmitter,RCA/Optical/Coaxial interface
Dec 3, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #168 of 584
- Does anybody tested how good or bad is AptxLL TX connection, when signal comes from TV to optical input on BTA30? Is there any lip-sync delay, or unstable connection?

- And, do you have to select AptxLL codec on BTA30 manually, or when your connect heaphones (which support AptxLL) it will automatically switch?

Dec 3, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #169 of 584
- Does anybody tested how good or bad is AptxLL TX connection, when signal comes from TV to optical input on BTA30? Is there any lip-sync delay, or unstable connection?

- And, do you have to select AptxLL codec on BTA30 manually, or when your connect heaphones (which support AptxLL) it will automatically switch?
Hi, I have tried transmitting AptxLL via optical from my tv without any problems or cuts and theres not an appreciable delay, at least for me, I even consider than transmitting LDAC got tolerable delay for watching movies ( not for competitive gaming).

-You can select your default codec in the app I think, and you can switch easily between codecs making double tap in one of the Fiio BTA10 buttons. I guess if you do that it will always start in AptxLL. Mine always use LDAC by default

Dec 3, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #170 of 584

Hi,

Even though I have not tested aptx-LL I think I can reply based on my experience with other codecs.

All I can say is that the BTA-30 offers a wide transmitting range and that the connection is stable.
If it is stable in aptx-HD, I see no reson for it not to be in aptx-LL.

If you only need aptx-LL, then my suggestion is to connect the BTA-30 to your smartphone over Bluetooth.
Open the deicated FiiO App.
There you can select which codecs to use.
You can uncheck everything except aptx-LL and I assume that you'll automatically get connected with aptx-LL.

Regards.

FRED

Dec 5, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #171 of 584
Great to see Fiio product manager here! I have just picked up a BTA30 and indeed I really love the versatility since my PC, TV, and stereo system are all in the same place.

Unfortunately, I came across an issue that kind of is a deal breaker for use with a PC: whether using USB or optical in from pc, I find that the BTA30 goes idle as soon as it isn't actively receiving audio (pairing light switches off), and whenever going from idle to audio playing it drops a clip of audio off the start of the sound playing (plus some annoying popping when going in and out of idle). The behavior is such that many notification type sounds (anything just 1-2 seconds in length) just don't get played out at all (just the popping sounds from going in and out of idle state). I made a short video to demonstrate the issue posted here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QbpP7DVuXdRvn39m7

I wonder if this is something that can be fixed or worked around or if it is just a design limitation. Ideally you could fix the BTA30 to an input source (and keep it active always) instead of it trying to automatically select a source based on input signal level.

Dec 5, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #172 of 584
Great to see Fiio product manager here! I have just picked up a BTA30 and indeed I really love the versatility since my PC, TV, and stereo system are all in the same place.

Unfortunately, I came across an issue that kind of is a deal breaker for use with a PC: whether using USB or optical in from pc, I find that the BTA30 goes idle as soon as it isn't actively receiving audio (pairing light switches off), and whenever going from idle to audio playing it drops a clip of audio off the start of the sound playing (plus some annoying popping when going in and out of idle). The behavior is such that many notification type sounds (anything just 1-2 seconds in length) just don't get played out at all (just the popping sounds from going in and out of idle state). I made a short video to demonstrate the issue posted here:

I wonder if this is something that can be fixed or worked around or if it is just a design limitation. Ideally you could fix the BTA30 to an input source (and keep it active always) instead of it trying to automatically select a source based on input signal level.

Hi,

This is super funny :wink:
Why ?
Because I was just about to post something to describe the EXACT same problem :wink:

I noticed that this does not happen when listening to music using coaxial cable.
Do you have a chance to test that coaxial input and see if you can confirm what I experience ?

I hope this will allow to narrow down the problem and help FiiO fix the problem if it can be fixed with a firmware update.

If not, then a suggestion for a BTA-50 :) Add a selector for the source. And leave the thing about priorities of inputs.
That would be nice because :
- at night, I play music with a dedicated music player that feeds the BTA-30 with S/PDIF . Working like a charm ;
- during the day, I stream the music from the computer to the BTA-30 so it's passed from BTA-30 to headphone amp. To stream, I use Toslink. But even if no signal comes out of the S/PDIF input, as it is plugged, no Toslink possible unless I unplug the S/PDIF cable :frowning2:

Don't get me wrong. I can live with that. But that is of course a little less convenient and has a possible side effect : those small interruptions of sound when using Toslink that is probably the last in priorities order.

Regards.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #174 of 584
Hi Penguin, glad to see I'm not the only one with this use case and thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't have a coax out from my PC, I'll have to buy a converter to try that. It's interesting in the video that Fiio just posted that the use case with PC output uses USB -> K3 (Optical) -> BTA30 - maybe to get around this issue? Unfortunately my current DAC/AMP does not have an optical out, only RCA.

I have an open ticket with Fiio and they suggested I disable USB input through the phone app and try optical again, but no dice, the behavior is the same (also tried USB with optical unplugged - same thing).

I may go out and get an optical to coaxial converter just to try what you said. I'll update when I get a response from Fiio.

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #175 of 584
Hi Penguin, glad to see I'm not the only one with this use case and thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't have a coax out from my PC, I'll have to buy a converter to try that. It's interesting in the video that Fiio just posted that the use case with PC output uses USB -> K3 (Optical) -> BTA30 - maybe to get around this issue? Unfortunately my current DAC/AMP does not have an optical out, only RCA.

I have an open ticket with Fiio and they suggested I disable USB input through the phone app and try optical again, but no dice, the behavior is the same (also tried USB with optical unplugged - same thing).

I may go out and get an optical to coaxial converter just to try what you said. I'll update when I get a response from Fiio.

Hi,

You don't have nothing with coaxial besides the computer ?
Maybe a Blu-Ray player ?

Regards.

Dec 6, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #176 of 584

Hello
Thank you for your feedback, we will confirm the issue as soon as possible. If there are any new developments, we will let you know, thank you!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 6, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #178 of 584

I used it for gaming and the latency is negligible. I really couldn’t tell the difference between in physically connected or over aptx LL.

Mine connected LL automatically, using Sennheiser momentum 3 wireless from windows 10 via USB.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #180 of 584

No connection issues and latency is very good. My experience has been that the bta30 uses aptxll automatically whenever available. I do notice a little more audio glitching type artifacts with aptx ll in general though. This isn't the BTA30s fault though, I experience it with other aptxll transmitters as well (or it might be my sennheiser momentum 3 headphones fault).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back