Fiio amp/DAC for Grado 325is - help a newb please : )
Dec 19, 2012 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Bluedroog

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

First post and not the most clued up on phones so hoping you can offer me a little guidance. I own a pair of Grado SR80i and shall be getting a pair of Grado 325is for Christmas and want to get the best from them. I heard Grado’s are pretty easy to drive but wouldn’t mind trying a cheap portable amp.

I have an old ipod 5th gen video (I think) which I could use as a source, I tried Rockbox on last night as I like to use FLAC. The 3.5mm jack has problem whereby one channel cuts out, am I correct in thinking this is analogue out only anyway? And the dock connection on the bottom is both analogue and digital offering greater flexibility?

So I can go out via the dock connection (line?) to either a headphone amp or headphone amp/DAC? I like the look of the options from Fiio but would like to confirm if it is worthwhile, compatible and which one to get. Given I don’t want to spend a huge amount would just be getting a simple amp be my best option or can a budget DAC improve on the ipod easily?

So I have been looking at option such as the E06, E07, E11 and the E17, currently favouring the E17 amp DAC, is this a good option? They seem to be at a good price and I could also use this at home as well as on the move. So I can go line out with the L7 (is this my best option?) to USB, have the benefit of better authority from the amp as well as an improvement in the DAC over an ipod?

I guess as a newb I’m just looking for a little reassurance before I pull the trigger as to whether this is money well spend and any obvious pit-falls I may not be aware of.

Thanks for your time.

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 2
[size=medium]One of my concerns is I have read compatibility issues regarding taking a digital out from an ipod to the Fiio? If I go line out to USB in of the E17 is will take an analogue signal and the E17 will act as an amp only? I don’t know what possessed me to buy Apple…[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back