Fiio A5 or Cayin C5 paired with iBasso DX150
Aug 22, 2018 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

moby1974

100+ Head-Fier
Fiio A5 or Cayin C5 paired with iBasso DX150

Hi
On paper these two amps are close in power and battery, both have good reviews, just wonder if anyone knows through experience which goes better with the iBasso DX150.

I am using LCD2f (I know portable is not ideal) and there seems to be a lack of powerful/portable amps without going to the likes of ifi idsd.

thanks

Aug 22, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 11
I owned a E-12 a few years ago and the A-5 is the new version with lower noise floor of the E-12a and same awesome power out of a Fiio X1 and it drove my long since gone (wish I didn’t sell them now) Mr Speakers Alpha Dogs to ear bleed levels and then hit the bass boost and it would thump very nicely . The LCD’s are 70 ohm and 101 dB sensitivity and the Alpha Dogs 50 ohm and 98 sensitivity so my guess is a A5 would do the same for either. Have a friend on Head-Fi and he had both the A5 and C5 but liked the bass boost better on the Cayin but thought they were really close in sound quality and that just what did it for him and sent the other back. If convenience is what you are after no problem with portable gear at all.

Aug 22, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 11
Hi
Well I have the C5 and A5 on way, will test it and see.
Not a fan of turning bass boost on anything, it just colours the music and I never see reason to sit and read reviews, find the dap for you sound wise then go about changing that sound signature.
I like the C5, but I am keen to see if the A5 is a more straight up neutral amp, leaving the iBasso sound as it is.
Power wise it would be nice to see someone go over the 1w at 32ohm, for this price range and size, maybe next year.

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 11
I myself don’t worry about coloring the music as it was put out there for you to enjoy and hear the story,emotion or whatever they intended and most didn’t think that what they put out had to be heard a certain way I’m guessing. They just wanted you to enjoy it. Doesn’t mean it can’t sound good .

Aug 23, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 11
Its personal choice or preference to alter the sound, end of the day whatever make you happy as it were, that's what its all about.

I did this years ago, now I am more keen on trying (within budget) to hear recordings as they were made, in some rare cases the close to original sound been a bit lifeless without some alteration/colour.

I have (selling) Cayin I5, with the C5 amp, its great but wanted a change, heard good things about the DX150 and A5, next day or so will see whats the better match.

thanks

Aug 24, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #10 of 11
I felt like the FiiO had maybe a little lower noise floor and possibly a bit more detail. Just my take.

Well the C5 wins.

In my setup and with using LCD2f headphones, I found the A5 had a tiny bit more clarity and separation, but the depth and sound stage was way behind the C5.

I think its more telling because the LCD2f has a small/average sound stage, so anything that gives it a helping hand stands out.

Listening to The Chain (FWM) on the A5 it sounded very close, the C5 sounded much better on the string plucks, having more distance/stage.

Could be a totally different story with other headphones but these are my main ones.

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #11 of 11
Well the C5 wins.

In my setup and with using LCD2f headphones, I found the A5 had a tiny bit more clarity and separation, but the depth and sound stage was way behind the C5.

I think its more telling because the LCD2f has a small/average sound stage, so anything that gives it a helping hand stands out.

Listening to The Chain (FWM) on the A5 it sounded very close, the C5 sounded much better on the string plucks, having more distance/stage.

Could be a totally different story with other headphones but these are my main ones.
Glad you got it sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back