Fiio a5 and smartphone/notebook
Nov 15, 2019 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

filippoaceto

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!
I have a fiio a5 amplifier that I use in portable mode with PC/phone and at home with the line-out of my amplifier. It's good to connect the fiio at headphones jack of PC/smartphone? Or I need a dac for best performance?

Nov 15, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 11
's good to connect the fiio at headphones jack of PC/smartphone? Or I need a dac for best performance?

Depends on the quality of your PC's and phone's outputs. If they're decent, you should have no problems. But if they're noisy or have major problems, then those will still be there, but louder.

A DAC will perform better, but some phones have totally acceptable sound and just need a power boost.

Nov 15, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 11
Depends on the quality of your PC's and phone's outputs. If they're decent, you should have no problems. But if they're noisy or have major problems, then those will still be there, but louder.

A DAC will perform better, but some phones have totally acceptable sound and just need a power boost.
Thanks! Eventually there is some DAC dongle that simulate a line-out port? For "exclude" the internal amp of the phone/notebook?

Nov 16, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 11
Jan 26, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 11
Hey guys i have an old Huawei phone but the noise floor is bad especially with sensitive iem's like kz zs10pro ,i have been looking at fiio a1 (external amp)can an external amp fix the bad noise floor or do i need to purchase a dac\amp combo?

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 11
Hey guys i have an old Huawei phone but the noise floor is bad especially with sensitive iem's like kz zs10pro ,i have been looking at fiio a1 (external amp)can an external amp fix the bad noise floor or do i need to purchase a dac\amp combo?
Hi there,
It kind of depends on the cause of the noise. If it's hiss due to an impedance mismatch (high output impedance on your phone, low impedance on your earphones), an amp like the FiiO could help. If it's caused by pretty much anything else, I would suspect an amp would only make it worse.

If I were in your position I'd probably get an amp/DAC. The Tempotec Sonata HD and HD Pro are supposed to be quite good for a decent price. If you want Bluetooth, the FiiO BTR5 sounds good and the Qudelix 5K is also supposed to be good, though both cost a lot more than the A1.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #11 of 11
Hi there,
It kind of depends on the cause of the noise. If it's hiss due to an impedance mismatch (high output impedance on your phone, low impedance on your earphones), an amp like the FiiO could help. If it's caused by pretty much anything else, I would suspect an amp would only make it worse.

If I were in your position I'd probably get an amp/DAC. The Tempotec Sonata HD and HD Pro are supposed to be quite good for a decent price. If you want Bluetooth, the FiiO BTR5 sounds good and the Qudelix 5K is also supposed to be good, though both cost a lot more than the A1.
Thanks for the explanation the tempotec sonata isn't out of my budget so i might buy it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back