FiiO A1 Review
Sep 6, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #16 of 26
Yep had played with pricier Wharfedales, Focal Chorus line, etc with T-amps but i much rather have Fiio come out with an updated, beefier speaker amp in future than hit the N22 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #17 of 26
oh i dont doubt a bigger FiiO would be for better value than an N22 would be but then id like to hear most things t see how they all compare.

even better if a bigger FiiO has a sub output on it.

actually the Focals are something i quite want to hear as ive read good things about them but the local focal dealer here (i was there domoing stuff) didnt seem to think much of them.  so much so they dont even bother to keep them in the shop anymore so i didnt get to hear one.  they said they never sold well and just took up space.

it really does peek my curiosity though

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #18 of 26
Anyone try running headphone from these off the speaker taps directly or the Audioengine N22.

Oct 31, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #19 of 26
  Anyone try running headphone from these off the speaker taps directly or the Audioengine N22.

Practically a necro-bump, but I just got an A1 and am running my HE-6 off them. It's lacking a bit in treble and staging, but it's got a surprising amount of grunt on the bottom end. They're discontinued now, but you can still find them for $80. For that price there isn't much to complain about. Very small form factor and surprisingly light, enough power to get plenty loud, and no noise whatsoever on the HE-6.

Oct 31, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #20 of 26

Practically a necro-bump, but I just got an A1 and am running my HE-6 off them. It's lacking a bit in treble and staging, but it's got a surprising amount of grunt on the bottom end. They're discontinued now, but you can still find them for $80. For that price there isn't much to complain about. Very small form factor and surprisingly light, enough power to get plenty loud, and no noise whatsoever on the HE-6.

Thanks for the update! Much appreciated.

Back then I was considering the Fiio A1 or even the Audioengine N22 for bedroom rig for LCD-2 and HE-500 which I had. Since then, both of these are gone and I currently have the LCD-3. I totally forgot about the A1 and was thinking of picking up a secondary bedroom rig for LCD-3 as an alternative to the Emotiva mini. A local dealer still has the A1, so I might give it a shot.

Did you try out the A1 with other planars? I am interested in the bass aspect you mentioned.

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #21 of 26
Here are some of my thoughts on other class-D amps... http://www.head-fi.org/t/666077/mini-shootout-desktop-amping-solutions-for-the-he-6-nuforce-icon2-sta-100-and-centrance-dacmini-px

On it's own, the A1 is pretty close to the Icon2 without the power upgrade. The Icon2 is thinner, but also heavier than the A1. The Icon2 is discontinued as well and runs somewhere around $180 right now which I think is a steal considering it also has a usb dac, two analog inputs, and a preamp output. Still, the A1 is $80. That's on par with the cheapest Topping amp. I've heard one of the midrange Topping amps and thought it was ok with planars (but it was really good feeding a stax transformer).

I haven't tried the A1 with any other planars. I should get around to recabling one of my modded T50rp's one of these days and giving that a try. Actually I'm not sure if the A1 has a shared ground or not... that would allow me to make an adapter and skip the recabling...

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #23 of 26
Why was the A1 not reviewed using headphones? To me that makes the review rather worthless. I would not be using an A1 to drive speakers. I would be using the A1 to drive headphones.

This thread should be deleted as the review is worthless since it was reviewed using speakers and not headphones. The A1 is meant to be a portable headphone amplifier and not an amp to drive speakers. While it could drive some speakers, most people will buy an A1 to drive headphones. Sorry, but this thread is just a mess.

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #24 of 26
  Why was the A1 not reviewed using headphones? To me that makes the review rather worthless. I would not be using an A1 to drive speakers. I would be using the A1 to drive headphones.

This thread should be deleted as the review is worthless since it was reviewed using speakers and not headphones. The A1 is meant to be a portable headphone amplifier and not an amp to drive speakers. While it could drive some speakers, most people will buy an A1 to drive headphones. Sorry, but this thread is just a mess.

errrm im not sure if you are confused but the A1 is a speaker amp.  the E9 is the headphone amp.

as to your statement that the "The A1 is meant to be a portable headphone amplifier and not an amp to drive speakers."   errrr no, there is nothing "portable" about it, it requires a main electricity supply.   im not sure what you are confusing the A1 with but its clear you really havent read the review, read anything about the product, hell you havent even just looked at the photos of it. 

so you maybe want to want to actually read the thing before commenting so extremely rudely!

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #25 of 26

errrm im not sure if you are confused but the A1 is a speaker amp.  the E9 is the headphone amp.

as to your statement that the "The A1 is meant to be a portable headphone amplifier and not an amp to drive speakers."   errrr no, there is nothing "portable" about it, it requires a main electricity supply.   im not sure what you are confusing the A1 with but its clear you really havent read the review, read anything about the product, hell you havent even just looked at the photos of it. 

so you maybe want to want to actually read the thing before commenting so extremely rudely!

Have a look at the A1 on Fiio's website. http://fiio.net/en/products/53

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #26 of 26

Have a look at the A1 on Fiio's website. http://fiio.net/en/products/53

yes and this review is not for that product.  something you seem to have not noticed, nor looked at the date of it but instead launched into some petulant whiney brat moan that youre incapable of realising that this review is for a different product.

i mean jesus you only had to look at the pictures to see it was for a completely different product yet that was beyond you, instead you decided to be snooty and rude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back