FiiO’s Upgraded Bluetooth Amplifier BTR1K: Qualcomm QCC 3005 BT chip, BT 5.0 and aptX /aptX LL/AAC supported, RGB light, NFC pairing, Type C and USB DAC
Nov 21, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #692 of 803
Indeed, this is a poor design decision. But it affects all BTR series Bluetooth amps/DACs.
Uh, no, it's the right decision for physically-intuitive playlist handling. Look at the playlist or playback queue: the next track on the list is below the current track, so you'd press "down" to get to it. That has nothing to do with the "+" and "-" symbols on the buttons - FiiO may as well not even print those symbols there and avoid the confusion. "Up" is "volume-up" when you're controlling the volume, but it's "previous track" when you're navigating the playlist, because we read lists by going down from item to item. Both are intuitive once we forget about the "+" and "-" symbols. The only use for those symbols is to remind you which button is which in case you attach your BTR receiver to your shirt in an awkward orientation or even upside-down.

Nov 21, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #693 of 803
Uh, no, it's the right decision for physically-intuitive playlist handling. Look at the playlist or playback queue: the next track on the list is below the current track, so you'd press "down" to get to it. That has nothing to do with the "+" and "-" symbols on the buttons - FiiO may as well not even print those symbols there and avoid the confusion. "Up" is "volume-up" when you're controlling the volume, but it's "previous track" when you're navigating the playlist, because we read lists by going down from item to item. Both are intuitive once we forget about the "+" and "-" symbols. The only use for those symbols is to remind you which button is which in case you attach your BTR receiver to your shirt in an awkward orientation or even upside-down.

If that were the case, then the BTR3, which orients the clip the other way so that Plus goes 'down' the playlist and minus goes 'up' the playlist when clipped onto something, would be opposite. It is bad design. I understand why they did it, but it is counter intuitive.

Nov 22, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #694 of 803
@abm0
I assume most people have been listening for few years on other things then PC/Phone - CD Players, where you go from Previous to Next. Naturally that maps to Minus and Plus, Left and Right. That's probably because most of us read from left to right :)
So yeah, that's bad design. Which could be probably changed with some firmware upgrade.
Anyway, good there is simpler option to control tracks then double/triple click to next/previous track like on some other devices.

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #695 of 803
If that were the case, then the BTR3, which orients the clip the other way so that Plus goes 'down' the playlist and minus goes 'up' the playlist when clipped onto something, would be opposite. It is bad design.
Oh, right! My bad. I just realized I thought it was OK on the BTR3 but I had only ever used it to control the volume. :D In fact it is backwards: when clipped upright to a shirt the "up" button goes down in the playlist, just like Android's dumb system setting you can enable for the phone's volume buttons. :frowning2: And FiiO could solve it so easily and stop confusing everyone by just labeling the buttons "up/down" instead of "+/-" and make them function accordingly for both volume and playlist.

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #696 of 803
My BTR1k arrived today! I think I got pretty lucky actually as I'm in Canada and the only place I could find that had it available for ordering was Aliexpress. They had it a few weeks ago for $66cdn with free shipping so I ordered it. It shipped and then a couple days later I noticed that the shipping fee on the item had been changed to $28 - I got it just in time! :) Now I see it seems to have vanished totally from Ali. Not sure what the deal is with them...limited availability apparently. Anyway, I got mine! lol. And so far I love the thing...more power than the BTR1 (which I also own and love), the charge cord connector is non-directional and I like that it can be used as a USB-DAC on my laptop. Also like the finer granularity of the volume control. Oh yeah, and it sounds great too! Really great device...

Dec 19, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #700 of 803
So I now have a phone w/o headphone jack. Not a fan of the dongle, it's easy to misplace, lose and forget.

So I was thinking I would either get one of the fully wireless TRN T100 / MPow T5

or

Fiio BTR1K, advantage making all my headphones bluetooth, dedicated amp.

Considering this will only be used with my phone when I am out and about, hmm pondering which way I should go.

Dec 20, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #701 of 803
So I now have a phone w/o headphone jack. Not a fan of the dongle, it's easy to misplace, lose and forget.

So I was thinking I would either get one of the fully wireless TRN T100 / MPow T5

or

Considering this will only be used with my phone when I am out and about, hmm pondering which way I should go.
Dear friend,

You could read some reviews or have a try in the local store for help first. Hope you could get the best and suitable one.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 22, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #702 of 803

or

Honestly, it seems like sort of a no-brainer to me. I'd go for the BTR1K over a dedicated set of BT phones every day of the week. Its just a super convenient, great-sounding solution that allows you to use all the gear you already own without being tethered to the phone. I bet you'd find yourself using it with other sources too. I use it with my laptop all the time...

One thing I wish the BTR1k had though was an indicator that let you know what the volume was set at on the device...perhaps in the widget that shows the battery level on the Iphone.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #704 of 803
Hi guys,

Excuse my ignorance but I can’t find this info anywhere. Does the BTR1K add anything to the BTR1? Doesn’t it have Aptx HD and/or LDAC for example? Or is that limited to the BTR3?

I thought the BTR1K was newer and therefore better specced but I could be wrong.

more power. newer BT codec. Type C usb connector. Independent volume control.

Dec 23, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #705 of 803
Hi to everyone, first of all merry Christmas and happy new year!

I've a question: I'm looking for an external AMP/DAC that can improve my iPhone XS volume; I'm not and audiophile but I like to listen good music with all the particular sounds and I've to say the iPhone XS sounds pretty good for a smartphone, but the volume is really too low for my standards even with earphones easy to pilot (16 ohm). So, my question is: With this BTR1K I'll improve the quality of the music, especially the volume loudness? Or is better the BTR3?
I already listen lossless music on my iPhone, I just need a good product that can boost this good music.

Thanks
Davide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back