Fii0 e17 question
Aug 6, 2012 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bifd

New Head-Fier
I just bought a Ultrasona pro 900 and fiio e17. I have set 192 kbs on my computer through the audio and also max settings on the fii0 through usb. And I am using 256kbs songs + some Flac

First question -> Why on my usb fiio e17 does it say 16bit 48k at the top? Is that the normal setting is their anyway to turn it up higher?

Second question -> Does Flac have any increase over 256kbs when my computer only supports 192kbs Max?

Last question Is digital cabel have that much audio quailty diffrence that I should go buy one thx...

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 13
I am using an E17 with the ATH-M50's and I have the same question about why it says 16bit 48k at the top. 

Although, I am sure it is the correct setting, because my music sounds fricking amazing.  Alot alot alot better than without the E17.  Don't let anyone tell you the ATH-M50's don't benefit from a good USB DAC/amp.... That is just a straight lie, sure they are fine without it but nowhere near where they should be

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
I just bought a Ultrasona pro 900 and fiio e17. I have set 192 kbs on my computer through the audio and also max settings on the fii0 through usb. And I am using 256kbs songs + some Flac

First question -> Why on my usb fiio e17 does it say 16bit 48k at the top? Is that the normal setting is their anyway to turn it up higher?

Second question -> Does FLAC have any increase over 256kbs when my computer only supports 192kbs Max?

Last question Is digital cabel have that much audio quailty diffrence that I should go buy one thx...

I think kbs and khz are two different things, think you mean sample rate 192Hkz (sample rate conversion), not 192kbs (Kilo Bits per Second)
so 128kbs, 192kbs, 256kbs, 320kbs and FLAC are not the same as the sample rate (Hkz) setting

I believe the sample rate needed for music is 44.1khz, so 192 setting is overkill.

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 13
I agree with PurpleAngel, you're getting the terms mixed up.

As for your e17 only showing 48k/16bit on its screen, that's because your computer is only outputting 48k/16bit. To change this on windows 7, type in "sound" into your start menu, and go to your sound options. Then click on your fiio e17 and go to properties. Afterwards, go to the advanced tab and select 24 bit, 96000hz and apply. Your e17 will update to reflect the change as well. Btw, the e17 only supports up to 96k/24bit through USB. In order to get 192k/24bit, you would need to use the SPDIF in. I hope that helped!

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks so much. I set what you said and my sound improved vastly. For some reason whenever I unplug it changes back well I guess ill just have to set it every time.

Anyway What does a SPDIF look like I see it on my e17 but not on my computer i have optical sound output is their a conveter.

Thanks so much...

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Thanks so much. I set what you said and my sound improved vastly. For some reason whenever I unplug it changes back well I guess ill just have to set it every time.

Anyway What does a SPDIF look like I see it on my e17 but not on my computer i have optical sound output is their a conveter.

Thanks so much...

Make and model of motherboard?

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
Its something Dell can't tell lookes dit up but heres pictures on the back of it nothing on the front accpect normal ports

So, the green squarish thing is S/PDIF Toslink Optical output.
Your Fiio E17 came with an optical 3.5mm to Toslink adapter, but not the Toslink optical cable,
Monoprice has good prices on cables.

You need to go into your PC windows control panel in the "sound" subsection, make sure the S/PDIF output is enable and set to PCM, to use the optical output.
Or the setting might be controlled from the audio control panel (might need to update that).
Try Foobar for playing music.

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 13
That's strange that you have to change the settings every time you plug your e17 in. Mine always stays at 96/24 in USB mode. As for using S/PDIF, I think it's fine to use USB unless you have a lot of 192/24 files lying around. 

Check out bowei's video on Optical vs coaxial vs USB.

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #11 of 13
Yeah it's weird I have to change my settings every single time too, not sure why though.

I also have a Dell - an Alienware M15x... win 7 64bit i7 processor, etc

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #12 of 13
thegunner100 - Your exactly correct about this. Its somewhat confusing for new users to the E17 and I'll elaborate a little bit more. When the E17 is first plugged in and set as the default Windows audio device, Windows (not the E17) defaults it to 'DVD Quality' of 16bit 48KHz or 48,000Hz (same thing). When listening to music I noticed this at first as well that even my 24bit 196Khz .flac music was only playing back in 16bit (this is possible as the player down-samples it since Windows does not know its ok to playback 24bit - yet...).

The E17 will update the top of is screen's bit depth and sample rate depending on what your listening to in real time. If you go to supported formats in the SPDIF Interface Properties where the DTS/Dolby/WMA Pro section is you can click on different sample rates and hear them, the E17 will immediately switch to the frequency and play back the ding-dong sound effect and you can watch it happen while looking at your E17. The most overlooked area is the 'Advanced' tab where thegunner100 clearly showed the supported playback section and this must be set to 24bit 196Khz for the E17's maximum even if over USB only 96Khz is supported if you ever do use the SPDIF it will allow the high frequency range. Unfortunately the E17 has no support for DTS or Dolby which may make watching Blu Rays/DVD's on your PC a little problematic. If you ever run into screeching popping sounds coming out of the E17 when a Dolby/DTS source is used just remember to look in your DVD/BluRay player for PCM output FYI. This will solve that issue. Although I've noticed almost all my BluRays only play back in 16bit 48Khz using PCM but this may be as good as it gets for that BluRay 9I wish more were 24bit). 
popcorn.gif

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 13
The settings getting reset may be an issue with the device being plugged into different USB ports every time as Windows will re-install it's internal DAC driver every time associating it with that USB port and thus putting settings back at default values. Do the settings change while on the same USB port?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back