Figuring out if DT990 PRO is fake
Nov 8, 2014 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Xulkin

New Head-Fier
Hi there head-fi community!
I've been actively following here last few months since I needed a decent pair of headphones for gaming and music. After a decent research I bought a pair of DT990 pro 250ohms from a local music shop via online shopping. First of all, it didnt come with a drawstring bag as mentioned in beyer's website. So im confused if this is a fake one or not.Overall build and sound quality seems really good and I am running it with a SBZ since it was the best available option in my country for a reasonable price (Turkey). I think older versions(2012-2013) dt990 pros doesnt ship with drawstring bag since I've read some stuff relating this. Well, lastly I did some 5hz sound test on youtube and I've heard a little bassy rumble with quite low noise. When I max the volume some distortion-like crunchy noise is head as well. I guess it was what I am supposed to hear, right? This is the link for the test. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiOLoz0hzNs  
Anyway, all in all I wanted to consult your  vast knowledge to soothe the paranoid devils inside me. Thanks for the replies and help in advance =)

Nov 9, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 8
I've been actively following here last few months since I needed a decent pair of headphones for gaming and music. After a decent research I bought a pair of DT990 pro 250ohms from a local music shop via online shopping. First of all, it didnt come with a drawstring bag as mentioned in beyer's website. So im confused if this is a fake one or not.Overall build and sound quality seems really good and I am running it with a SBZ since it was the best available option in my country for a reasonable price (Turkey). I think older versions(2012-2013) dt990 pros doesnt ship with drawstring bag since I've read some stuff relating this. Well, lastly I did some 5hz sound test on youtube and I've heard a little bassy rumble with quite low noise. When I max the volume some distortion-like crunchy noise is head as well. I guess it was what I am supposed to hear, right? This is the link for the test. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiOLoz0hzNs  
Anyway, all in all I wanted to consult your  vast knowledge to soothe the paranoid devils inside me. Thanks for the replies and help in advance =)

There's nothing wrong about your DTs. Maybe your pair is from a one year old stock, then you didn't got the bag. As far as I know, the ones with the bag have a different box. Here you can compare:

Traditional box (no bag):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmTfS-X71uI

New box (include bag):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FotLPJBODVs

The lower limit of human hearing is around 20Hz. You can't hear something under that frequency, what you are hearing is distortion over 20Hz. Not pleasant, neither good for the headphone.

Enjoy your headphones! Nice pick by the way!

Me x3

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 8
I've been actively following here last few months since I needed a decent pair of headphones for gaming and music. After a decent research I bought a pair of DT990 pro 250ohms from a local music shop via online shopping. First of all, it didn't come with a drawstring bag as mentioned in beyer's website. So im confused if this is a fake one or not.Overall build and sound quality seems really good and I am running it with a SBZ since it was the best available option in my country for a reasonable price (Turkey). I think older versions(2012-2013) dt990 pros doesn't ship with drawstring bag since I've read some stuff relating this. Well, lastly I did some 5hz sound test on youtube and I've heard a little bassy rumble with quite low noise. When I max the volume some distortion-like crunchy noise is head as well. I guess it was what I am supposed to hear, right? This is the link for the test. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiOLoz0hzNs  

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the SB-Z?

If the DT990s you bought where "slightly used" before you bought them, that might be the reason there is no bag.

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 8
Yeah i just disabled the onboard audio. Well thanks for the replies i think theres nothing wrong with the headphones. Old stock issue was what i thought as well it was just my first decent headphone buy so i wanted to consult you guys :) wish i could be able to buy a decent amp/dac instead of sbz but availability is nonexistent in my country :/

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #5 of 8
Yeah i just disabled the onboard audio. Well thanks for the replies i think theres nothing wrong with the headphones. Old stock issue was what i thought as well it was just my first decent headphone buy so i wanted to consult you guys
smily_headphones1.gif
wish i could be able to buy a decent amp/dac instead of sbz but availability is nonexistent in my country :/

Get them from websites/companies that ship worldwide, like Schiit, MP4Nation and Penonaudio (both with free worldwide shipping), etc. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 8
Schiit had some shipping cost but ill check other websites. Unfortunately my crappy country charges incredible amount of tax but i might be taking my shot. I believe this soundcard is not really enough to unleash headphones capacity. It might sound funny but when i try my iphones headphone its not that insane difference in quality tbh. Amp/dac comp like magni/modi would greatly increase quality imho.

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #7 of 8
Schiit had some shipping cost but ill check other websites. Unfortunately my crappy country charges incredible amount of tax but i might be taking my shot. I believe this soundcard is not really enough to unleash headphones capacity. It might sound funny but when i try my iphones headphone its not that insane difference in quality tbh. Amp/dac comp like magni/modi would greatly increase quality imho.

I get you mate, I live in Portugal and getting a Magni shipped here would cost me 40$! If I can find a better website I'll let you know.

How much are you willing to pay for the DAC/Amp combo? And it is just for home use right?

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 8

I get you mate, I live in Portugal and getting a Magni shipped here would cost me 40$! If I can find a better website I'll let you know.

How much are you willing to pay for the DAC/Amp combo? And it is just for home use right?

Thanks for the kind help mate :) Well in time i think ill be able to spend like 200-250$ for a decent AMP/DAC combo which will be for home use and maybe some amateur edm music production later. Btw, as for the sound quality concerns and 'not day and night' difference with the apple headphones, am I right to assume that a schiit stack would do quite better compared to soundblaster Z right? I am happy with the quality since this is my first experience with a reasonable setup but I really feel like this wouldnt be the quality I should be getting with a good phone like DT990 pro. Any thoughts or experience on this matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back