Fidue A63 or Zero Audio Carbo Tenore?
Jun 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

steelglam

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am on the hunt for a second pair of IEMs to supplement my Hifiman RE-400.  I really like the RE-400, particularly its clarity and neutrality. 

That being said, I have two concerns that are making me think about getting a second pair of IEMs to supplement the RE-400: 1.) The RE-400 have held up so far, but the build quality concerns are well-documented, and 2.) When I'm exercising at the gym, and even sometimes for regular listening when I'm in the mood, I like to have a slightly warmer sound.  But I would want something that also maintains excellent clarity through the midrange while adding some warmth.  As a counterpoint for comparison, I have a pair of Vsonic GR-99 that are too warm to the detriment of clarity in the midrange to my ears.

My budget is $75 maximum, especially since I won't be using them as often as the RE-400.  As I indicated above, I want them for use at the gym and for those occasions when I'm in the mood for a slightly warmer sound.

I've done some reading and the Fidue A63 and the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore are the two that jump out at me the most, both in terms of being within my budget and as a possible match for the type of sound that I am looking for. 

With that in mind, does anyone here have any experience comparing the Fidue and the Zero Audio, and if so, which of the two do you think are a better match for what I am looking for?  I look forward to any insight that folks have.

Thanks much in advance! 

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 3
  Bump.

I would also be interested in hearing how the two compare in terms of dynamics.

Rehashing a slightly old post, but I just got A63 for review, do have RE400 and used to have Tenores :)  Between RE400 and Tenores, I would choose Tenores, but when you throw in A63 into equation - they are exactly what you have described as "excellent clarify through midrange while adding some warmth".  Their build quality is much better than Tenores (where strain relief is a joke), and as you know QC and variation of Tenores is not stellar either.  A63 has a nice bass quality, but quantity is closer to a neutral level, still much better than RE400.  Also, A63 has a surprisingly wide soundstage, probably on par with Tenores but with less reverb effect.  Tenores will have more micro-details (in comparison to A63) and their bass has more quantity in sub-bass rather than mid-bass.  Also, carbon fiber shell design of Tenores is cool, while A63 design is nice but has a few rough edges on the edges (not really a show stopper).

Overall, from what you have described, A63 is probably more suitable for your needs.  Penonaudio has it for $59 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back