Fidelizer 2.0 - Introducing new UI with multi-core optimizations
Oct 2, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #136 of 188
He removed that option, So whenever you wanna use it you have to open the program up and apply it. Also when the option was there the program auto launches your browser on start up being the first thing you see as soon you load into windows. He should add another check box to turn it off atleast, because if you want updates you would just come to the thread.

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #137 of 188
Thanks. That makes sense. I am glad he worked on multi-core support since I'll be trying it out on an XPS15 with Sandy Bridge.

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #140 of 188
This has got to be the biggest crock of all times...

Shutting down services to make bitperfect sound more bitperfect...

SNAKE OIL...

OMG

Why are people so gullible??

and yes i tried it several times....Zip, Zero, Nada....nothing...

Over and Out

A.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #141 of 188
To be honest this sort of tweak is never going to give you a night and day difference, to hear a difference will depend on many factors. If your DAC has excellent jitter reduction DSP, you probably wont hear a difference. If your transport/DAC USB input is not so great again you might not hear a difference. Transparent and revealing equipment helps but is not strictly necessary. Probably also depends on how fast your computer hardware is, how load there is on the CPU/RAM etc.

This software, and other similar software are provided free (or free trail) by the developers without any obligation, so if you don't hear a difference you don't have to use/buy them. Not what I would call snake oil.

That said when I first tested this software I did not hear a difference, and to be honest I don't use this software any more as it is a bit of a hassle to use and doesn't make a discernable difference with my current setup, that said I use different computer tweaks:D. The main advantage of this software is it allows you to easily evaluate different settings that would otherwise be much harder to test so you can decide whether it is worth finding a more permanent way of making these changes.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #142 of 188
Hey Drez....

Understand your view and respect that.

Yes its free and u can try it etc...

I have been in the PC dev business since PC1 and still today.

Been mucking with services for a loooooong time...and this is snake oil to me , free or not.

Its a great idea if it only really did make 'bitperfect' more 'bitperfect... omg.

Anyway we all are free to try the stuff....

All the best
Alex

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #144 of 188
Hey Drez....

Understand your view and respect that.

Yes its free and u can try it etc...

I have been in the PC dev business since PC1 and still today.
S
Been mucking with services for a loooooong time...and this is snake oil to me , free or not.

Its a great idea if it only really did make 'bitperfect' more 'bitperfect... omg.

Anyway we all are free to try the stuff....

All the best
Alex

To put my opinion shortly, yes you can make bit perfect more bit perfect, no idea exactly why, whether its the timing of the data or some sort of electrical interference, but I have definitely observed differences beyond bit perfect.:D

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #145 of 188
Quote:
To put my opinion shortly, yes you can make bit perfect more bit perfect, no idea exactly why, whether its the timing of the data or some sort of electrical interference, but I have definitely observed differences beyond bit perfect.
biggrin.gif

Indeed. However, that's basically due to better hardware implementations and stable drivers. Resource priorities play a part as well, and there is little more than come into effect for that purpose alone.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #146 of 188
The bits in a bitperfect setup from the pc to an external dac...is inded bitperfect. Mucking with services in the OS in this case win7 doenst make the bits any more perfect or less perfect...if u think so then your drinking the koolaid.

All the ones and zeroes get from the source to the dac....

Once the dac gets the bits... things can change depending on how the dac circuitry is implemented....

When the bits get transfomed into an analog signal on the output side of a dac again perfection can be more interfered with.

The bits flowing from a cd or lossless file in a pc ....if your player is setup to allow for bitperfect flow.....arent influenced in quality by OS services...

If the bits get to the dac and the timing is right...voila this is as good as it gets....

Modern day pc's have more that enough processing bandwidth to handle audio files in bitperfect playback.

If your hearing differences by turning off stuff in a PC while in bitperfect mode...then your not bitperfect any more....your mucking with the source bits...like adding reverb, echo or delays....with some software.

Sending the souce data untouched to a DAC is bitperfect.....you cant make the bits any more perfect.....

Over and Out...

Now where did those bits go?

A.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #147 of 188
What i mean by more bitperfect than bitperfect is that you can have a bitperfect stream, and another bitperfect stream, but the timing of the data or noise riding the data signal or in the power supply will be different. One will have more accurate timing that will create less distortion when played back by a dac than the other. Alternately noise on digital signals, especially single ended digital connections like spdif seem to reduce the performance. Unfortunately it is difficult to measure these effects as they will probably below the resolution of a typical soundcard based rmaa setups. I my experience improving system performance is the best way of ensuring best results for computer audio and avoiding snake oil tweaks as system performance is much more a known quantity.

Nov 18, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #148 of 188
Software induced jitter is nonsense with any reasonable hardware (and by that I mean even cheap sound cards). But those who are worried about that should probably use DOS, or some special real-time operating system, as they will not get perfect software timing on a multi-tasking operating system that runs hundreds of threads, and is not designed for hard real-time applications. However, even the earliest Sound Blasters (those that only supported mono 8-bit audio) allowed for the use of DMA transfers and buffering, so that the actual audio playback is clocked by the hardware, and for the software the only requirement is to respond to the interrupts from the sound card fast enough that the buffer always gets filled with new audio data in time. Only on old 8-bit computers like the C64 was the software responsible for the timing of individual samples in digital playback. As long as the buffer does not underrun, the timing of filling it does not matter, and when it does, there are obvious breakups in the audio output.
Now of course some will worry about software affecting jitter through electrical interference, but interference always happens anyway, regardless of what program you are running (and a modern multi-tasking OS runs a lot of things all the time). The DAC or sound card should be designed to be insensitive enough to interference.

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #149 of 188
Software induced jitter is nonsense with any reasonable hardware (and by that I mean even cheap sound cards). But those who are worried about that should probably use DOS, or some special real-time operating system, as they will not get perfect software timing on a multi-tasking operating system that runs hundreds of threads, and is not designed for hard real-time applications. However, even the earliest Sound Blasters (those that only supported mono 8-bit audio) allowed for the use of DMA transfers and buffering, so that the actual audio playback is clocked by the hardware, and for the software the only requirement is to respond to the interrupts from the sound card fast enough that the buffer always gets filled with new audio data in time. Only on old 8-bit computers like the C64 was the software responsible for the timing of individual samples in digital playback. As long as the buffer does not underrun, the timing of filling it does not matter, and when it does, there are obvious breakups in the audio output.
Now of course some will worry about software affecting jitter through electrical interference, but interference always happens anyway, regardless of what program you are running (and a modern multi-tasking OS runs a lot of things all the time). The DAC or sound card should be designed to be insensitive enough to interference.

You are right, this is what should be happening, but unfortunately this does not seem to be what a lot of people are observing with high end computer audio equipment and consumer operating systems. A lot of music servers use modified versions of linux with realtime kernel, and I would presume that this should work better than trying to optimise workstation operating systems. I have no idea why someone hasnt developed a linux distro for audio use instead of these half measures, but this is no reason to opt out from trying to get the best results out of your current setup IMO.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #150 of 188
In my (old) setup,  Asus A8V-X/ Athlon 64 (Venice) 3200+/ 2 GB DDR400/ Fiio D3 (dac)/ Edifier M3400/ WinXP-Pro SP3, I am sure I can increase/ decrease hiss by lowering/ raising cpu priority.  This reminds me of a paper which Creative claims that the noise many Sound Blaster owners complained,  were due to a lack of system resources.  AFAIK,   Fidelizer enhances c.p. too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back