Fidelizer 2.0 - Introducing new UI with multi-core optimizations
Feb 28, 2011 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 188

WindowsX

Member of the Trade: Fidelizer Audio
They're couple of changes so let me explain how it works again.

Fidelizer has 3 optimization levels. They're all for the same goal to sonic improvements. I'll leave them all to your judge whether they're subtle or big difference. At any rate, you should leave your ears with it for at least week if it doesn't hurt your computer. Some people need time to adapt to changes.

The first ones is 'Professional'. This will optimize system to the extend that it won't significantly affect overall system performance. You can work as usual while enjoying improved multimedia experiences.

The next ones is 'Audiophile'. This is quite dedicated ones for those who pursue higher fidelity. It will lower system/network performance so audio can gain more priority to access to resources at time. It will also lower most processes including system ones to lowest level so you need to close your audiophile player before using it.

The last ones is 'Extremist'. As the name say, this isn't risk-free feature to try. It will stop most bundled system services leaving only important ones for audio. Yes, it will stop network services and such too. You may not know but Windows Audio and DHCP share the same process in service host provider so disabling network can significantly improve sonic performance. I also add some options to keep network and user experiences (HID,Tablet,Themes) working for some applications.

For general use, you should stick with 'Professional' level but computer in today's market should be able to use 'Audiophile' without hassle about system/network performance. I use 'Audiophile' level on AMD Phenom X2 550 BE machine and ended up running fine for 24/7 usage.....ya it's old and cheap unlike i7 or Athlon II X6 but it still works.

Changes in version 2.0
-Added processor core resource assignment for multi-core optimizations
-Fixed process priority optimizations so that new process like audiophile player won't start with lowest priority
-Redesigned UI with selectable features list controlled by optimization level

Download: http://www.windowsxlive.net/fidelizer

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 188
The idea is just amazing, and there isn't anything for that purpose out there, but I just don't use apps that blindly change system configs without telling me exactly what they do. I understand you wanting to know about some who might affect people as placebo, but a details window is essential for me to trust it.

Anyway, looking forward to see further development on that.

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 188
Well I downloaded it, run it, read the description and close the app, didn't have enough guts to apply its magic if any lol. There's no point in trying this in a VM either so let say if someone has a computer to spare, test it please.

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 188
Well I downloaded it, run it, read the description and close the app, didn't have enough guts to apply its magic if any lol. There's no point in trying this in a VM either so let say if someone has a computer to spare, test it please.

Since you already installed the application any malicious activity that could have been done is dealt. So might as well test it.

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 188
WindowsX,

Your input is well timed, I have been looking around whether anyone is looking into stream lining/optimising the Windows OS(Vista, & or even XP) in order to obtain the maximum audio reproduction.

On the Mac OSX platform there are a number of audio resellers of  Mac Mini as a music server by optimising the OSX 10.6 and reselling them at premium price. They are suppose to make a big difference in sound reproduction. 

Your input is most welcome.

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 188
Quote:
Since you already installed the application any malicious activity that could have been done is dealt. So might as well test it.

No, this application does not need to be installed from the description I read, and when you open it up there's another window you need to go over for the effect. To be honest if it is a computer dedicated to music I would use this, as it will disable too many services (again from what I read), but mine is not and I use it for other stuffs, too. I run MSE and usually check my system with Process Monitor, Process Explorer and netstat -a too. For now I say it's clean.

I would be more interested if it included an advanced mode so I can select which optimization to apply.

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #7 of 188
I'll try to group services and leave some for other functions. I'll separate operations to perform too in case people want only services to be stopped or optimizing thread,I/O,clock,etc.. Should be done in a day or two. 

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #9 of 188

Changes in version 1.1
-Added autorun support (can be disabled by running program again without autorun)
-Added believable selectable features instead of advertising features comment
-Allowed user to keep specific services like networking and related interface controllers like HID and touch support

Autorun mode will run program without showing UI so I highly recommend to run this without stopping services on startup.

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 188
Hi,

Thanks for version 1.1, It seems able to optimise and remove unnecessary services, also the latency of the system also improved.

With networking feature enabled in the s/w I could not access my hard drive via Etrhernet. I first make sure my laptop was able to connect to my hard drive server via the Ethernet connector(via a router). Then I execute the fidelizer, on attempting to access the music hard drive an error message appears, "Windows cannot access "name of hard drive" "

Any suggestion how to solve this, as I am evaluating your s/w.

Cheers.

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 188
Fixed. Try a new build and see if problem still persists.

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 188
WindowsX,

Thks it works. I am evaluating now, it seemed to sound promising, initial impression is Windows7 with Foobar 1.1.2 sounds more like Apple Mac with Decibel, very clean and clear. Will have a follow up impression.

Cheers.

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #13 of 188
I'm enough of a cowboy that it doesn't bother me to run this without knowing a single thing about it, but if you document what it is actually doing / supposed to do, someone might have intelligent feedback.

It's just an EXE and it's a mystery what happens until it runs.  And after it runs it is a mystery what actually happened unless you do a full system audit.  I did check whatever forum link was there, and there was no useful information.

For starters:

1.  Trying to change my default homepage is lame.  Even if you ask me about it first and let me uncheck the checkbox.

2.  I should have the option to keep Aero running.  ReClock for example works better with Aero enabled in certain configurations.  I'm sure there are plenty of audio apps that work better with it disabled.  Let me pick before you up and kill Aero.

3.  Having this by default kill network services without warnings in big red letters is just going to irritate people.

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #14 of 188
It appears you downloaded the first version. An updated version can keep up network services and stuff like HID/touch. I also changed advertising features comment to technical options list like this

-Stop unneccessary services leaving only audio related ones
-Keep services for network running
-Keep services for human interface and tablet/touch running
-Optimize system's tasks, I/O priorities, clock rate in MMCSS
-Optimize audio thread priority and system clock resolution
-Configure Fidelizer to run automatically on system startup

I had hard time deciding whether I should keep Themes service or not (Let alone DWM since it'll only make things worse for performance no matter what application you use) I may add Themes service option and core optimization support in future.

For homepage settings, all developers would want people to recognize their website so they don't have to run around over various places to say we update it. I don't see why it could be wrong as subscribing website while leave room to decide unless their minds are too narrowed. Some applications even bundle unrelated stuff like toolbar/gadget/etc. yet people are using it without trouble.

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #15 of 188
I downloaded the program, and tried installing it, but it's telling me I have to install it from an administrator account, even though I am on the Admin account of my computer. Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back