Fidelio X2's Broken?
Apr 9, 2017 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Edge5880

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I upgraded recently from my old Audio-Technica ATH-M50x's to a pair of Philips Fidelio X2's. At first everything sounded great. But then I tried watching Return of the King on BluRay and during combat scenes It felt like the drivers/covers were flapping about hitting my ears (Which completely freaked me out so much I removed the earpads to check and see if the drivers were blown/broken) They didn't appear to be so I tried the headphones with another BluRay Suicide Squad everything was fine until the helicopter scene which sounded distorted and off. I then tried other multiple varied sources (Music, A couple of Video Games, some ASMR videos etc.) but the results were the same at odd intervals sound would get distorted/staticky, and at others it felt like the drivers/covers were hitting my ears. I tried everything previously listed with my M50x's at the exact same volume and everything sounded fine. So now, I don't know what to do. I need your opinions/advice/help.

1. Is this behavior normal for the Fidelio X2's? Did I just happen to get a broken pair? I know DMS3 TV mentioned similar Bass Distortion at higher volumes in his review of the Fidelio X2's.
  2. Should I try to RMA them and get another pair?
  3. Should I switch back to/get a pair of closed back headphones to replace the Fidelio X2's but are better then the ATH-M50x's like the Oppo PM3 or the Bowers & Wilkins P7?
  4. Should I try another pair of open back headphones if so which ones? (Sennheiser HD 650's , Beyerdynamic DT-880's)

I use a Creative Sound Blaster X7 Amp to power my headphones and I don't listen to stuff at a deafening volume (Usually anything between 20's-30's)

My budget is under $400 and I use my headphones for Movies, Music, Gaming, Editing etc.

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 7
Have you tried using the same gear with another headphones(at the exact same volume level). I suspect clipping. Try setting the volume level on your first source to 80(and the DAC, if DAC isn't your first source), and controlling the volume from the last part of your audio chain(amp). If this isn't the issue, and if this issue only happens on your X2s, you could have a faulty pair.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 7
Hi thanks for responding! 

My DAC is my primary source. After I tested the X2's I switched back to my old ATH-M50x's and at the same volume conducted the tests again. Everything sounded great with no problems. So I guess I have a faulty pair of X2's Damn...

Fortunately I have a warranty on them so I can return them and get a full refund. Would you recommend that I get another pair or switch to one of the Closed Back or Open Back headphones I listed in the original post?

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 7
Personally a fan of PM3. If you're fan of neutralish sound, you'll find the PM3s to be better. Even techinically speaking, PM3s are pretty good(we have some in-house measurements of the PM3s that hasn't been published) as well.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 7
I can vouch for the HD650's--not a stage the size of the X2 certainly, but still, pretty decent for movies, IMO. There is also the HE400i option--a very nice headphone. Detailed. And there is the very neutral PM-3. Options.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 7
I have both the HD650 and X2. I prefer the X2 for gaming/movies (bass and soundstage), and the HD650 (more intimate and natural sounding) for music. So just a matter of prioritizing between the two (at least with these two headphones). Hope that helps for what it's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back