Fidelio X2 vs Denon AH-D5000
Mar 13, 2017 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AudioThief

500+ Head-Fier
Hello.

I am currently looking to buy the Denon AH-D5000. I already own the Fidelio X2s. 

I love my Fidelio X2s, but I wonder how much of a step up, if any, the denon ah-d5000s will be in sound quality. I am mainly getting the denon for their heavy bass and great looks.

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 8
Different sound signature completely. While I personally wouldn't consider the D5000 bass monsters, you will get a liquidy deep bass sound, and clear, bright highs from the D5000. In fact, clarity is something that could notch above the X2.

Good news, is that it isn't going to replace your Fidelio, it will be a really good compliment, both is frequency signature, but also function being semi-closed. Both are easy to drive, so you can use the same source. Cable of the D5000 is a bit long and ungainly. I'd just wrap it up and use some ties to keep it together.

The only other consideration, is that the D5000 doesn't seal out sounds as well as true closed backs. It also isn't that portable, so isn't ideal for street use because of its long cord as well as its light fit. But if just for home, no worries.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply, thats great to hear! That was kind of my thinking as well - that they might be different in sign signature and thus perhaps compliment each other.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 8
  Thanks for the reply, thats great to hear! That was kind of my thinking as well - that they might be different in sign signature and thus perhaps compliment each other.

Also, there are the Fostex TH-X00 series, E-mu, Fostex TH-610 as well as the new Denon AH-D7200. The 7200 looks quite nice.

To me the D2000 seemed to be the most economical way to scratch the Denon itch and get this sound. I also quite like my MDR-7520s, which are a bit more even keeled than the D2000, though some may find them harsh (they just don't hide anything). 7520 has more visceral bass, not as round and bubbly as the Denon though. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 8
I decided to pull the trigger on the Denon AH-D5000. I got them for 400$ in mint condition, while the only other available used denon was a d2000 for 280$ which was actually in quite poor condition. 

I was looking long and hard at the TH-X00's but considering the fact that I live in Norway and thus would have to use massdrops somewhat strange third party international shipping method, and pay 25% tax on it once it comes into the country, it would far exceed the price of the denons.

I would really appreciate any comparisons you might know of for the denon 5000s so i know kind of where they lie quality wise.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 8
  I decided to pull the trigger on the Denon AH-D5000. I got them for 400$ in mint condition, while the only other available used denon was a d2000 for 280$ which was actually in quite poor condition. 

I was looking long and hard at the TH-X00's but considering the fact that I live in Norway and thus would have to use massdrops somewhat strange third party international shipping method, and pay 25% tax on it once it comes into the country, it would far exceed the price of the denons.

I would really appreciate any comparisons you might know of for the denon 5000s so i know kind of where they lie quality wise.

Congrats! Well, I only have the D2000 for comparison. From my understanding they are very similar, same driver, but just different material enclosure. Which can make a difference. But differences aside, you can tell there is quality with the bio-cellulose driver. Made some comparisons between the D2000 and other headphones here

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 8
I own a pair of AH-D5000s, and they do have a very lush, liquid sound. They're personally my favorite headphones that I've tried, despite being less analytical than others. Congrats on your find, I hope you like them. :)

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 8
Which other headphones have you tried? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back