Fidelio X2 slightly sibilant, are there any alterative Headphones?
Dec 31, 2019 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dasher5000

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of X2HR's and they sound very good for Japanese Rock, but when I try and listen to Pop or EDM, the treble from things such as the cymbals and hi-hats hurt my ears slightly. I also get the feeling that the bass is slightly anemic, but that might just be me comming from the Beyerdynamic Custom One pros. I overall like the sound signature, but I really don't know if I can get used to this treble. Are there any alternative open backs that I can look into that have a similar sound signature? I prefer "fun" headphones over analytical headphones such as the HD600, if that helps.

Dec 31, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 10
How long have you had the X2? If you find the bass anemic on the X2,im guessing either;
you need to burn it in more,or
your pair is defective,or
youre a basshead and dont realize it.

The X2 is many things,bass light it def isnt.

Dec 31, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 10
How long have you had the X2? If you find the bass anemic on the X2,im guessing either;

This... And you can probably EQ your way out of that slight brightness.

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 10

hmm. I don't know. A part of me thinks I just haven't gotten used to them since I've had them for maybe a week max. However, it feels like as time went on I feel like they've been lacking more and more bass, but when I do an A and B comparison, it is superior to my Custom one pro's, being generally clearer and having a more pleasant bass response that is tighter and more lush. I do like my cans to be on the warm side, but I really dislike having too much bass, as it gives me headaches when it gets bloated. I've heard grumblings of X2HR's being defective, but I doubt that this pair is defective. Maybe its just the treble spike I've heard about on these cans? I really don't know. Would the HD6xx/HD650 be a good alternative if things don't work out? I've heard that they are like the HD600's, just warmer and having a more fun sound signature.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 10
hmm. I don't know. A part of me thinks I just haven't gotten used to them since I've had them for maybe a week max. However, it feels like as time went on I feel like they've been lacking more and more bass, but when I do an A and B comparison, it is superior to my Custom one pro's, being generally clearer and having a more pleasant bass response that is tighter and more lush. I do like my cans to be on the warm side, but I really dislike having too much bass, as it gives me headaches when it gets bloated. I've heard grumblings of X2HR's being defective, but I doubt that this pair is defective. Maybe its just the treble spike I've heard about on these cans? I really don't know. Would the HD6xx/HD650 be a good alternative if things don't work out? I've heard that they are like the HD600's, just warmer and having a more fun sound signature.

HD6xx is a nice sounding headphone with plenty of midbass,but sub bass is rolled off,and it has a more narrow sound sig vs. your X2s. theyre also 300ohms,so theyre harder to drive than the X2s. What are you using for an amp?

You might look into the Meze 99 classics or the Drop version,Neo.

Jan 1, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 10

HD6xx is a nice sounding headphone with plenty of midbass,but sub bass is rolled off,and it has a more narrow sound sig vs. your X2s. theyre also 300ohms,so theyre harder to drive than the X2s. What are you using for an amp?

You might look into the Meze 99 classics or the Drop version,Neo.
I have an E10K currently as an amp, but I haven't really seen the need to use it with the x2's since there was no discernable difference to my ears compared to it and the onboard sound I get out of my MSI Gaming M5 Z170 Motherboard, which does have shielded audio, an amp that supposedly can drive up to 600 ohm impedance headphones, and a decent dac. I looked on massdrop, and there was another version of the 99's on sale called the Meze 99 Noir. Are they the same thing as the classics or neo, just a different colorway?

Jan 1, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 10
I have an E10K currently as an amp, but I haven't really seen the need to use it with the x2's since there was no discernable difference to my ears compared to it and the onboard sound I get out of my MSI Gaming M5 Z170 Motherboard, which does have shielded audio, an amp that supposedly can drive up to 600 ohm impedance headphones, and a decent dac. I looked on massdrop, and there was another version of the 99's on sale called the Meze 99 Noir. Are they the same thing as the classics or neo, just a different colorway?
I personally havent heard the Drop version,but I have read that many prefer the Classics,but as I said,I havent a/b them,so I cant say one way or the other. Im sures theres plenty of comments on the topic in the various threads here though.

Jan 1, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #8 of 10
I personally havent heard the Drop version,but I have read that many prefer the Classics,but as I said,I havent a/b them,so I cant say one way or the other. Im sures theres plenty of comments on the topic in the various threads here though.
I see. Other than headphones already discussed on this thread, are there any other suitable alternatives under lets say 300 dollars USD?

Jan 1, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 10
hmmm,you might like the AudioQuest Nighthawks. Very warm,bassy. Some of the older ZMF designs might suit you as well,like the Ori or Blackwood,but you'd have to buy used as theyre above your price point. Not sure if your amp is up to driving the ZMFs or not. Campfire Cascade would work too,but theyre overpriced IMO.
Im hesitant to recommend other headphones to you as you find the treble bothersome on the X2s. Ive read about others complaining about the treble here and there,but never have I heard someone describe them as anemic in the bass department.

Jan 1, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 10
hmmm,you might like the AudioQuest Nighthawks. Very warm,bassy. Some of the older ZMF designs might suit you as well,like the Ori or Blackwood,but you'd have to buy used as theyre above your price point. Not sure if your amp is up to driving the ZMFs or not. Campfire Cascade would work too,but theyre overpriced IMO.
Im hesitant to recommend other headphones to you as you find the treble bothersome on the X2s. Ive read about others complaining about the treble here and there,but never have I heard someone describe them as anemic in the bass department.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm still on the fence about this, so i'm going to wait a few more days, maybe a week, and see if burning these headphones in some more will help. I get the feeling that I might feel that the bass is anemic because it is much tighter and less boomy as so to speak than the COP's and im still not too used to it, but since i've only had half a dozen good Cans In my lifetime I'm note entirely sure. Maybe I'll get used to the treble, which is definitely also more prominent than the COP's. Will see! Thank you again so much for the help and suggestions. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back