Fidelify vs. Spotify - Big Difference In Sound Quality?
Sep 25, 2015 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pervysage

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So I recently checked out Fidelify.

If you don't know what it is, it is basically just another Spotify client that is supposed to be "Hi-Fi".

Immediately once I started using it, I noticed quite a difference in sound quality, the difference being that Fidelify sounds better than the Spotify PC application! The difference I'm talking is pretty significant so that is why I am so surprised.

What is going on here? What is Fidelify doing to make the sound so much better? Anyone else who has experienced the difference between Fidelify and Spotify want to pitch in here? And for those who are only first hearing about Fidelify, I highly suggest going over and downloading the application since it is totally free and doesn't hurt to try it out.

It doesn't matter whether I am using Direct Sound or ASIO (Fidelify supports ASIO, Spotify does not). Even if I were to run both Fidelify and Spotify in Direct Sound, the difference in sound quality still there.

Fidelify (similar to switching between Spotify and Tidal) has a volume difference, in that I have to turn up Spotify quite a bit to match the volume of Fidelify. But turning up Spotify to match Fidelify's volume doesn't account for the fact that Spotify sounds veiled and maybe even muddy in comparison when turning it up to Fidelify levels. What I'm trying to say is that it is not just Fidelify outputting louder volume that is causing the perception of higher sound quality.

Sep 26, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 6
Did you disable the Volume Normalization built into the Spotify client? It could account for a quality and/or volume difference.

Stupid me! You were right, I must have missed that option somehow when looking at the Spotify settings. They both sound identical now.

Guess I'm going back to the Spotify app because even though it has ASIO support, Fidelify is kind of glitchy and harder to use!

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 6
Fidelify uses either ASIO or WASAPI, and will always pull the highest-quality audio from Spotify.  The most important feature in it is the convolver and VST support, so you can use your convolver waves or an EQ VST.  I hate using my headphones without my convolver waves, so this is very important for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back