Fidelia questions....
Jul 24, 2012 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

disastermouse

Headphoneus Supremus
First off, it seems to add a lot of hiss to what had been a pretty clean chain.  What?

Secondly, is the FHX plugin worth it?  I own the advanced version already.

Tack.

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 12
No input?

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 12
Fidelia shouldn't add appreciable hiss to your audio chain. If you have 'Fidelia Advanced', what are your dither settings? Also, what is your gain staging like? I'd contact support if you can't quickly get to the bottom of it--they're very responsive. 

Being that I helped design FHX, I think it's awesome! :) Lately, I've found it hard to listen to music on headphones without it; FHX makes the experience much more natural IMO. It also adds monitoring controls (mono, phase, swap L/R, solo L/R) that I could only perform on my ~$3000 Crane Song Avocet before, so to me it's definitely worth it.

My best advice would be to demo FHX and see if it suits your listening situation and your music.

Best of luck,
- Devin

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 12
Fidelia shouldn't add appreciable hiss to your audio chain. If you have 'Fidelia Advanced', what are your dither settings? Also, what is your gain staging like? I'd contact support if you can't quickly get to the bottom of it--they're very responsive. 

Being that I helped design FHX, I think it's awesome! :) Lately, I've found it hard to listen to music on headphones without it; FHX makes the experience much more natural IMO. It also adds monitoring controls (mono, phase, swap L/R, solo L/R) that I could only perform on my ~$3000 Crane Song Avocet before, so to me it's definitely worth it.

My best advice would be to demo FHX and see if it suits your listening situation and your music.

Best of luck,
- Devin

I'm not sure where dither and output options are in the program - all I know is that ALACS and 320mp3s are playing in iTunes with zero distortion and with noticeable distortion in Fidelia.

I tried to figure out HOW to demo FHX and am stumped. It's a moot point, since with the distortion in Fidelia, I'd much rather play my ALACs from iTunes.

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 12
Fidelia's output preferences are located in Fidelia > Preferences > Output

To demo FHX go to Help > Fidelia Support > Licenses

If you're still having trouble, you can contact support anytime!: support [at] audiofile-engineering.com

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #6 of 12
So how should I set up the output?  Should I set it up to match the song?

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 12
I've been testing Fidelia, and this is how I've set it up (i.e., set to match the song). It has not been easy to find recommendations about how to configure this program, but that seems to be one of the few I've seen multiple times.

Aug 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
I've been testing Fidelia, and this is how I've set it up (i.e., set to match the song). It has not been easy to find recommendations about how to configure this program, but that seems to be one of the few I've seen multiple times.

Hi vjack,

Please ask away or message me if you have any other settings questions. 

For 'Device Sample Rate', I typically use 'Match Song' if I'm using a device that supports several sample rates. Using 'Match Song' you avoid any unnecessary sample rate conversion. 

However, if you're just using something like the MacBook Pro 'Built-In Output', then I would recommend keeping it at 44.1kHz and using the iZotope resampler. In my experience, the built-in sound cards on these laptops do not handle higher sample rates particularly well, but, as always, your own experience my differ. 

- Devin

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #9 of 12
If you want to use their "good" SRC, (iZotope in the converter drop-down when using the advanced license), select a fixed sample rate for the highest sample rate your dac supports. If you set it to hog mode, it will set the rate and lock it in audio midi setup, otherwise, you have to go over and manually set the rate.

I can reproduce your fuzz by setting dither to 24-bit, turning on the SRC, (iZotope, ultra) and then setting sample rate to match song. It causes a hell of a lot of noise because you're trying to shove 96k of data down a 44.1k stream.

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
If you want to use their "good" SRC, (iZotope in the converter drop-down when using the advanced license), select a fixed sample rate for the highest sample rate your dac supports. If you set it to hog mode, it will set the rate and lock it in audio midi setup, otherwise, you have to go over and manually set the rate.

I can reproduce your fuzz by setting dither to 24-bit, turning on the SRC, (iZotope, ultra) and then setting sample rate to match song. It causes a hell of a lot of noise because you're trying to shove 96k of data down a 44.1k stream.

Just wanted to tank you for this post, as it helped me getting the best out of Fidelia!

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #11 of 12
I've been recently trialling the FHX settings as I've a basic license at the mo.

Wondering who else uses Fidelia FHX and what settings they've found they enjoy?

A long time ago I used a plugin called Canz3D but havent done anything with crossfeeding in ages...

I want to make sure I get some tried and tested results before my trial runs out as the licenses are a few pretty pennies to upgrade from basic to Advanced+FHX if I go for it :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back