Fiddlesticks, a tad over 6 months in, UE Super.Fi pro EB broken
May 9, 2008 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Csi

Head-Fier
I purchased my UE Super.Fi 5 EB's at the very end of October to be my portable cans and gym phones. I love the eb's sound signature even though the mids are very muddy compared to my home rig setup but its fun.

Anyway I use these IEMs on average 10-15 hours a week which imo isn't hardcore usage at all. I mean when I was searching for an IEM i wanted rugged IEMs and I don't recall seeing any complaints about the EBs.

Anyway everything was well in the paradise I call my life until two days. During my work out I noticed for the first time the sound coming from the IEMs were "dimmed" but if I slightly moved the cable or touched the connector piece that linked the cans to the player everything went back to normal. It was annoying but the problem happened maybe 2-3 times in 2 hours so I didn't think anything of it.

Yesterday when I went to the gym the problem got a lot worse. It was like all workout long the sound would now just completely cut off in the right ear. I'd have to readjust cable (which means just moving it around, or touching it) to regain sound every few minutes because as soon as I moved or went back to my exercise, it would somehow upset the super.fi's. Finally toward the end of the work out the sound just stopped working COMPLETELY in both ears.

I tried testing it by flipping(180) the ear piece onto the connector piece. When that didn't work I tried swapping the ear pieces to opposite cables (left earpiece to right cable, vice versa). Nothing worked.

Needless to say I got worried so I rushed home. I tried playing the IEMs directly from a laptop and again no sound at all. I used my Senn HD 650's on my DAP and it worked fine so it is obviously the IEMs.

I went ahead and requested an RMA number from the super.fi website since I am still under the 2 year warranty, but it still sucks that I have to waste time going through the motions and of course paying for shipment to the repair area. So I sit here waiting for UE to contact me back....

Just out of curiosity for your Super.fi 5 EB users, on your Cables where the curved part you use to connect ot your ear? is it normal for the cable to turn green? If I recall the cable came in completely silver, but overtime it became green?

May 9, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Csi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased my UE Super.Fi 5 EB's at the very end of October to be my portable cans and gym phones. I love the eb's sound signature even though the mids are very muddy compared to my home rig setup but its fun.

Anyway I use these IEMs on average 10-15 hours a week which imo isn't hardcore usage at all. I mean when I was searching for an IEM i wanted rugged IEMs and I don't recall seeing any complaints about the EBs.

Anyway everything was well in the paradise I call my life until two days. During my work out I noticed for the first time the sound coming from the IEMs were "dimmed" but if I slightly moved the cable or touched the connector piece that linked the cans to the player everything went back to normal. It was annoying but the problem happened maybe 2-3 times in 2 hours so I didn't think anything of it.

Yesterday when I went to the gym the problem got a lot worse. It was like all workout long the sound would now just completely cut off in the right ear. I'd have to readjust cable (which means just moving it around, or touching it) to regain sound every few minutes because as soon as I moved or went back to my exercise, it would somehow upset the super.fi's. Finally toward the end of the work out the sound just stopped working COMPLETELY in both ears.

I tried testing it by flipping(180) the ear piece onto the connector piece. When that didn't work I tried swapping the ear pieces to opposite cables (left earpiece to right cable, vice versa). Nothing worked.

Needless to say I got worried so I rushed home. I tried playing the IEMs directly from a laptop and again no sound at all. I used my Senn HD 650's on my DAP and it worked fine so it is obviously the IEMs.

I went ahead and requested an RMA number from the super.fi website since I am still under the 2 year warranty, but it still sucks that I have to waste time going through the motions and of course paying for shipment to the repair area. So I sit here waiting for UE to contact me back....

Just out of curiosity for your Super.fi 5 EB users, on your Cables where the curved part you use to connect ot your ear? is it normal for the cable to turn green? If I recall the cable came in completely silver, but overtime it became green?

Clear cable oxidizes, so you see the silver turning into green... its like bronze roof and w/e likewise.
UE should be fast with their RMA processes, so u dont have anything to worry about

May 9, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 5
Fiddlesticks? Now I haven't hear that in a long time. Is it in vogue again? :^) I can hear it in a rappers song now. Down in the hood, late in da day, caught my girl doin tricks, ah fu-iddlesticks

May 9, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 5
TSI any idea how long UE takes before that issue RMA? a couple days? a week?

Jamato I was debating between fiddlesticks and fudge. I figure the sticks added more oomf

May 14, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 5
Are there any reps of UE on headfi? I submitted my request for an RMA on Friday

i'M not sure if i am being too impatient or whether i should have received it by now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back