Fiber Optic Headphone cables? Is it possible? Is it good?
Dec 28, 2016 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bubblejuice

500+ Head-Fier
I saw a 12ft fiber optic Digital Toslink cable at Walmart for like $15

The packaging said it transmits "ULTRAHD" audio, along with video and what not. So it made me wonder if Fiber Optic cables are a thing in the headphone realm, and if there's any positive/negative effects when using them, if anything at all. 

I know nothing about this, which is why i'm posting here.

I'm curious about what you all might know.

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 12
Never heard of a "UltraHD" audio standard, for optical cable.
I doubt there have been any changes or improvement in computer/home audio optical audio transmission, in at least 15 years (or more).

I'm willing to guess this 12ft optical cable sold by Monoprice, for $2.88, will be just as good as that $15 cable sold at Walmart.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=6273

But if the word "Premium" makes you think a product is better, here is a "Premium" 12ft optical cable for $6.04.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=2765

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 12
  Never heard of a "UltraHD" audio standard, for optical cable.
I doubt there have been any changes or improvement in computer/home audio optical audio transmission, in at least 15 years (or more).

I'm willing to guess this 12ft optical cable sold by Monoprice, for $2.88, will be just as good as that $15 cable sold at Walmart.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=6273

But if the word "Premium" makes you think a product is better, here is a "Premium" 12ft optical cable for $6.04.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=2765

I appreciate the effort in your answer. But I was looking for a different kind of answer.

Namely, are optical cables a thing in Headphones? And do they make any kind of difference over normal cables?

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 12
  I appreciate the effort in your answer. But I was looking for a different kind of answer.

Namely, are optical cables a thing in Headphones? And do they make any kind of difference over normal cables?

Headphones run off electricity, analog signal.
Optical is digital transmission, by light.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 12
obviously optical cable will be used to send signal to a device that can generate electricity, else it's going to be hard to get sound from a an electrical coil ^_^.
usually optical will stick to transmit digital data, so from a source to a DAC. and that's it for audio purpose.
the bonus is that it can get pretty well isolated from the rest of the electrical circuit, so it's a good way to avoid noises from a computer.
the malus is that it tends to be more jittery than most other means of streaming digital signal.

in a word, you usually reach for such a solution when you can't get rid of some noises from the computer, or sometimes ground loops, because at this point you don't care about a little jitter if it solves the nasty noises you've been getting all this time. but if you don't have obvious audible noises, then it's most likely an inferior solution based on what I've read about it(never got to try).

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 12
  obviously optical cable will be used to send signal to a device that can generate electricity, else it's going to be hard to get sound from a an electrical coil ^_^.
usually optical will stick to transmit digital data, so from a source to a DAC. and that's it for audio purpose.
Just to add... Optical/Toslink operates in a single direction only, as does coax. That may seem immaterial, but between a DAC and computer there can be some benefit to a little bi-directional hand-shaking, like with USB.  It is possible to put an optical receiver, DAC and amp (and battery) inside headphones.  Probably not an advantage, though, and would be costly.
the bonus is that it can get pretty well isolated from the rest of the electrical circuit, so it's a good way to avoid noises from a computer.
the malus is that it tends to be more jittery than most other means of streaming digital signal.
We have to be careful here. Technically, the bitstream on optical/Toslink, SPDIF Coax, and AES/EBU are all identical, and self-clocked. While poorly performing cables of all kinds can degrade any of them, one is not superior to the other in any way, including jitter. It may be more correct to say that, for similarly priced and unusually long cables, optical may degrade sooner than, say, coax. But it's a cable quality issue, not the style of transmission.  With good quality cables, they compare well.  In any case the typical cable-induced jitter is below audibility.   
Please note, there is no such thing as UltraHD audio.  Optical lacks the bandwidth to transmit muliti-channel TrueHD and DTS Master Audio, and is somewhat limited to two channels of PCM audio, though high sample rates and bit depths are supported. But that's built into the standards, any compliant optical cable should pass anything within current standards.

Optical cables do not transmit HD video signals.

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #7 of 12
oh, right. I got the impression about jitter(never imagined it would be audible!) from people who checked usb(async) vs optical over the years(not by ear!^_^). I didn't even think about coax when I wrote this post TBH. sorry for not being clear.

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #8 of 12
So back to the OP, optical cabling for headphones is technically possible,but implies on-board electronics and power.  You need on-board volume control and EQ too, that implies a DSP.  Once you  do all of that you might as well add noise cancellation to get the product back into a competitive price category,   But you're still cabled, in a market that is in love with Bluetooth.  In fact, optical connections are vanishing from computers, and according to the Cupertion Fruit Company, we don't need anything but Bluetooth for phones, not even wire. 

An aside, I have a set of Parrot 3 headphones, wired and Bluetooth with the above features.  They're good, not great, have all sorts of flaky issues, and pricy. The touch/swipe control is erratic, the EQ inadequate (and requires an Internet connection to save presets!!!), but the best features are Bluetooth and noise cancellation.  I have no idea who would pay that much, or more, for an optical version.

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 12
This is pretty interesting. Again, being clueless in this, I find all of the answers slightly jarring in terms. But I understand. I was just curious considering that i've read Fiber Optics transmits more data, faster, etc. If it was beneficial at all to use that type of cable for audio, but I guess that's a simple "No" lol. 

I just included the Toslink cable as an example as to where I got the idea from. I have no clue what a Toslink cable is or does so I would've looked elsewhere for cabling if it came down to it anyways. I didn't know Fiber optic had limited uses considering the cable doesn't look like individual strands, but like one thick glass strand.

Thank you for the answers!

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 12
  I saw a 12ft fiber optic Digital Toslink cable at Walmart for like $15

The packaging said it transmits "ULTRAHD" audio, along with video and what not. So it made me wonder if Fiber Optic cables are a thing in the headphone realm, and if there's any positive/negative effects when using them, if anything at all. 

I know nothing about this, which is why i'm posting here.

I'm curious about what you all might know.

Uh...it's a digital cable.

Headphones normally don't take digital input....  

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #12 of 12
  This is pretty interesting. Again, being clueless in this, I find all of the answers slightly jarring in terms. But I understand. I was just curious considering that i've read Fiber Optics transmits more data, faster, etc.
Optics can transmit more data than wire, but both have to be considered as an entire system, driver, cable, receiver, and for longer hauls, repeaters in the middle. Cable has progressively more loss with distance at higher frequencies, fiber (generally) suffers from wide-band loss with distance that is more easily compensated for.  The best choice depends on the specific application.  One is not generally "better" than the other.
If it was beneficial at all to use that type of cable for audio, but I guess that's a simple "No" lol.   
Not a flat out "no", but a qualified "no". When applied properly it can be a benefit to audio transmission. But the same is true of any technology. Understanding the application is the key.
I just included the Toslink cable as an example as to where I got the idea from. I have no clue what a Toslink cable is or does so I would've looked elsewhere for cabling if it came down to it anyways. I didn't know Fiber optic had limited uses considering the cable doesn't look like individual strands, but like one thick glass strand.

Google is your friend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_fiber

Users who are viewing this thread

Back