Fiber internet.....Joygasms for daaaaaaaaaaaaaaays
Feb 28, 2014 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cswann1

Headphoneus Supremus
I just moved to a new apartment in Round Rock and was stoked to see that AT&T offers their new fiber internet.  The guy came today to hook me up and we talked a bit.  I mentioned that advertised speeds were theoretical maximums and that I doubted I'd be getting 300Mb/s he said "Oh yeah..you will".  I have never been so happy to be wrong in my life.

Sorry I know this seems bragish, but I couldn't help it.  This is the future and If AT&T or Google doesn't offer it in your area yet (I know it's in very few markets atm) send em an email and let them know you want it, and have all your friends do it too.  Can't hurt, right?

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 7
Daamn that is blazing fast. I have Fiber optics too but my connection is only 16mb download and 12 upload. Which by the way is really, really fast in my country. Most people here are stuck with aDSL lines that can't even hit 4mb. But thankfully I live in an area where that isn't an issue :D

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #3 of 7

That was from my workplace. At home I get 100 down / 20 up, and about 5-10 ms ping.

Your speed is still ridiculously fast. However, to be honest, I don't really feel a huge difference between my work speed and my home speed. I suppose when milliseconds count it'll matter, still, torrenting with 100 Mbit is pretty sweet.

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 7
1 in ping you hook up directly to the server I suppose :)

I have 1 GB internet also. But we haven´t bothered in routers and ethernet cards that can do with that so I don´t know how fast it actually is. 100 mbit is more then enough if you aren´t going to transfer heavy media or something.

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 7
In Croatia there are maybe a few places in the capital that actually has fiber internet. Most of it is adsl, vdsl. Veeeery sloooow... I get max. 512kbps download speed and 128kbps upload speed and I'm in the rural part of the capital. It's a shame really considering we have T-mobile in the country. If it was a normally functioning country we would have fiber a long time ago.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 7
  1 in ping you hook up directly to the server I suppose :)

I have 1 GB internet also. But we haven´t bothered in routers and ethernet cards that can do with that so I don´t know how fast it actually is. 100 mbit is more then enough if you aren´t going to transfer heavy media or something.

I actually don't know how close the server is from us. But I think it's a stockholmian server, at Lidingö. We sit in Solna. 

I actually had "100 Mbit" back in 2004-2006. In the schematics it said 1 GBit, but really, no one had that kind of equipment back then.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 7
I just moved to a new apartment in Round Rock and was stoked to see that AT&T offers their new fiber internet.  The guy came today to hook me up and we talked a bit.  I mentioned that advertised speeds were theoretical maximums and that I doubted I'd be getting 300Mb/s he said "Oh yeah..you will".  I have never been so happy to be wrong in my life.

Sorry I know this seems bragish, but I couldn't help it.  This is the future and If AT&T or Google doesn't offer it in your area yet (I know it's in very few markets atm) send em an email and let them know you want it, and have all your friends do it too.  Can't hurt, right?

I imagine you can thank Michel Dell for that one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back