Few questions about Zune 80gb
Jun 17, 2008 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

flame

100+ Head-Fier
Hoping Zune owners can help me out here.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am wondering how's the sound quality of Zune 80gb, compare to Cowon D2? Does it have a voice-recorder? Also does it recognize Microsoft work files, such as power point, words etc...? Lastly does it support/recognize other languages? Specificallly, french, japanese, chinese and spanish?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 6
I prefer the Zune 80 to the Cowon D2 in terms of sound quality, it has a more full, warm sound signature. No voice recorer, no supports for Microsoft works files. It supports french and spanish, not japanese or chinese.

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 6
Darn...gonna need all of those
frown.gif

Thank you for your reply!

Jun 17, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 6
I heard that earliers versions of the firmware support asian languages but I'm not quite sure

Jun 17, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 6
I think this should do the trick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zune Boards

To downgrade the Zune Desktop Software:

1. System Restore to the point right before 2.0 was installed.

if that is not possible, then:

1. Uninstall 2.0.
2. Disconnect your computer from the internet.
3. Install 1.1 (or 1.0) from the original CD.
--1.4 software can be installed using SZIP. Download here.

NOTE: In either case, it is best to wipe out the Zune's database and allow it to rebuild. There was some quirkiness after the restore because the System Restore didn't fully restore the Zune's database. Deleting the files in:
"C:\Documents and Settings\< user >\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Zune" did the trick.

To downgrade the firmware:

(WARNING: THIS WILL WIPE OUT THE CONTENTS OF YOUR ZUNE DEVICE)
1. Download Zune.RE.zip - http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/dow...o=file&id=1443
2. Download Java Runtime 6 (if you don't already have it)
- Java SE Downloads
3. Download Zune Firmware 1.4 - http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/zun...are-1-4-a.html
4. Create a temp directory: C:\temp
5. Place firmware 1.4 into the temp directory.
6. Rename the firmware file to: Zune01050485.cab
7. Place the ZuneFirm.jar file from Zune.RE.zip into the temp directory.
8. Start -> run... -> cmd
9. c: [ enter ]
10. cd \temp [ enter ]
11. java -jar ZuneFirm.jar [ enter ]
12. Go to your network setting, open up TCP/IP and change your DNS to 165.132.120.124. Then in another cmd, ping go.microsoft.com to check if it's directed to yourself (127.0.0.1). NOTE: if you cannot ping go.microsoft.com successfully and you are using a router, then connect your computer directly to your cable modem. This is the crucial step... if you cannot get a ping of go.microsoft.com to return 127.0.0.1 then do not proceed until you can!

Next, turn your Zune on and reset it by pressing back+up for a few seconds. When the Zune logo appears, press back+left+center for a few seconds to format the hard drive. After you format, it will ask you to connect to a computer. Connect it. Open the Zune software, and something like ?update time? and ?Zune 1.5 firmware? will appear. (If it doesn?t load automatically start ?Check for zune device update?)

INSTRUCTIONS FOR TEMPORARILY MODIFYING DNS

(If you don't know how to modify your DNS, you probably shouldn't be attempting this, but if you are really determined to downgrade your firmware here are some more details to help)

NOTE: Make sure that you have performed the java -jar ZuneFirm.jar step first.

1a. Start -> RMB (right mouse button click) Network Places -> Properties
network01mv9.jpg

1b. Select Local Area Network (or which ever is your network connection) RMB -> Properties

2. Click on Internet Protocol
3. Click on Properties
network02cc0.jpg

4. Type in 165.132.120.124 for the IP address of primary DNS server
5. Click OK
network03sk8.jpg

6. Click OK again (on the "Local Area Connection Properties" dialog)
7. Select Local Area Network (or which ever is your network connection) RMB -> Disable
(wait for status column to indicate that connection is Disabled)
8. Select Local Area Network (or which ever is your network connection) RMB -> Enable

To test if the change "took", Start -> Run... -> CMD [ Enter ], then in the command window, type ping go.microsoft.com [ Enter ]
The ping command should report back an address of: 127.0.0.1

If you followed the steps and you don't get the 127.0.0.1, then try rebooting your system, re-running the java command and then the ping command.

---------------------------------------------------------

This is the same method used to hack the Zune for Korean, Chinese, and Japanese Character support. Thanks to sracer at ZS for pointing this out.

For those who wish to have the Asian Characters back, use the same method you used before, except use the OLD software!

Jun 17, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 6
^^ that hacks doesnt work for Zune 2nd Generation hardware.

Zune supports most occidental languages. Greek and Russian are supported...but those East Asian languages are not.

Somebody is using XNA, C# and the CTP to make a Zune Twist UI clone with some features (Now Playing Screen) from the Zune software. all these for unicode support...

Check it out....
A zune player with clock and asian language support - Zune Boards

Screens
2559481931_4d524e7477_o.jpg

2559482021_b0414b7cf8_o.jpg

2559482261_e24fa2345c_o.jpg

Quote:

no supports for Microsoft works files.

PDFs are gonna get support zoon...like *maybe* tomorrow..

[In Progress] zImage Application (zBook viewer) - Zune Boards

Quote:

If you want I can release mine in a couple minutes(its not completely done though, but its 3am here and im pretty tired)

What mine does so far:
Lets you load up as many books as you want
choose a book to read
use up/down to move the lines
change font size

it doesnt do bookmarks or anything yet and i plan to inlcude that later
If you want it in the state it is now, i can upload what i have, or you can wait until tomorrow, when i get more time to polish it up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back