few questions about custom remoulds
Apr 2, 2010 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

untrueparadox

100+ Head-Fier
I'm planning to get my TF10vi redone as a custom because of the awkward fit. It's most likely gonna run unamped on an iPod or iPhone although I do have plans of buying a good DAC + amp in the near future. THanks.

1. which company is better, unique melody or fisher or ? ive been getting mixed results from both appreciation threads, basically fisher = faster, and um = better quality?

2. what color will not look disgusting? does the clear resin yellow over time or decay or any of that kind of stuff? i cant see to find reviews of customs in terms of the durability or looks.

3. is it possible to lay on the side and sleep with them on?

4. how much difference would i find in terms of sound if i remould it? extra bass? warmer mids? better sound stage?

5. and last one, would an extra mid driver or low driver give a little more bass?

Apr 3, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 11
1. UM is definitely my choice (and most).
2. I don't think acrylic shells turn yellow. I believe that was an issue with the soft shells. I've got a couple pairs of customs and I sweat a lot and they've yet to become discolored. (FYI, I got light blue and love it)
3. I haven't tried, but I don't think I could sleep with them in. If I apply pressure, they push into my canal and cause enough discomfort to keep me from sleeping, but I have heard of people sleeping with them.
4. Honestly, I don't think my TF10s sound improved at all. I can definitely hear sibilance in my remold compared to the original. It seems as though it extended the highs (but still maintains the bass), but the vast majority of people here agree they sound better, so perhaps I'm actually wrong.
5. I don't know from experience, but I don't think an extra driver would change the bass, but I would advise getting the mid driver. In retrospect, I should have gotten it myself. Perhaps it would have balanced the sound a little better, so the highs wouldn't be so prominent.

Apr 3, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 11
1. UM is definitely my choice (and most).
2. I don't think acrylic shells turn yellow. I believe that was an issue with the soft shells. I've got a couple pairs of customs and I sweat a lot and they've yet to become discolored. (FYI, I got light blue and love it)
3. I haven't tried, but I don't think I could sleep with them in. If I apply pressure, they push into my canal and cause enough discomfort to keep me from sleeping, but I have heard of people sleeping with them.
4. Honestly, I don't think my TF10s sound improved at all. I can definitely hear sibilance in my remold compared to the original. It seems as though it extended the highs (but still maintains the bass), but the vast majority of people here agree they sound better, so perhaps I'm actually wrong.
5. I don't know from experience, but I don't think an extra driver would change the bass, but I would advise getting the mid driver. In retrospect, I should have gotten it myself. Perhaps it would have balanced the sound a little better, so the highs wouldn't be so prominent.

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 11
i see. how much would it for the remold plus extra mid you think? i can see myself going to um, but i dont think i can wait 1.5-2 months for turnaround. factor in a $70 impression here in los angeles and the cost is probably gonna be $200 for a remold + driver.

i just read your comparison of the remolds. kinda makes me wanna think twice about doing it. if i spend $200 extra dollars and the sound comes out worse, what a bummer..

Apr 3, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 11
i think it is 250 or 275 including the additional driver. it seems to be recommended to add the mid driver if you are remolding the 10s

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 11
wow thats insanely expensive. why not just buy a pair of the um quads then? theyre only $500 or so and sound comparable to the jh13's?

i dont have nearly that much money to burn just yet, and im not so sure if i want to take a gamble with the remold now that ive looked for reviews of bad molds, and there seems to be quite a few in the um thread and the fisher thread.

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 11
The increased sibilance issuebcould be attributed to by the fact that youre reducing the amount of material that can absorb the high frequencies. Generally speaking, the comply tips tones the treble down due to its soft material. becausevyou no longer have asoft ip at the end of the phones, the higher frequencies dont get filtered out and go straight to your ears.

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by untrueparadox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$70 impression here in los angeles

HOLY COW!! just where in LA are you? if you find yourself in the Covina area, there is a nice sweet audiologist lady that will do them for $20
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 11
i have TF10s done by fisher. They work great for all intents an purposes. I think UMs are a lot prettier. But, you also wait a lot longer and pay more for simple appearance. Fisher isn't very good about specific shades of colors. They mostly just do simple colors, but for only 80 bucks you can't complain to much.

Get open jaw impressions from your audiologist (use a bite block) you'll get better issolation

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 11
Add in shipping costs, which from China are quite expensive. Also add the time and expense of having to get them redone when they don't fit perfectly the first time (another 2 weeks to Fisher, another month? (I don't know) from UM. Does UM pay for international return shipping? If not, that's another $50+. The whole thing is actually quite a hassle, to be honest.

There's no comparison between UM and Fisher on aesthetics - UM wins hands down. They use a different material, I think. UM's costs have gone way up, but they used to be a great deal. Sound quality is largely a function of how good the mold is, which is a combination of both the quality of your impression and the quality of the mold from the impression. Don't get a bad impression.

I went with Fisher, and I'm on my second remold. They're quite accomidating, but it's still taking long time. If I had paid more and gone with UM, who knows? It might have been right the first time. More likely, I'd be in the same situation, waiting for intercontinental mail. Either way, it's not at all uncommon to get multiple remolds, even when you buy directly from UE and JH.

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #11 of 11
i see. what are the estimates for just a remold from UM with shipping included? i havent got around to contacting UM just yet. it seems like ill probably go fishers hearing. and that $20 impression sounds like an amazing price. i called up about 3 of them near me (pasadena) from westone and ue's recommended list. $70 was the lowest, one guy wanted $50 per ear and says he uses some special material with a huge long name? i think its bogus. anyway, ill send ya a pm for that audiologist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back