Few headphones and a budget
May 15, 2013 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kurd

Head-Fier
So I wanted to buy an ATH-M50, but it seems the prices here in the Netherlands for those headphones are a lot higher than in America. The price is about 180, for 10 euros more I could get the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. And for 80-100 euros less, I can get the AGK K-240 MKII (so 80-100 euros that is). I could also get the Sennheiser HD 558 for 125 euros, but I heard they need amps to get the best out of them, I'm not planning on to buy an amp since I have a cowon J3. I've heard they don't need amps. 
My other choices are the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 and 80, DT 990 and KRK KNS 8400. s. 
If you know any other headphones in this price range (80-190) euros, name it and I'll look into them. 
And main question really is: do the AKG K-240 MKII or KRK KNS 8400 or MDR-1R (for 80-100 euros) blow all these headphones away for their price? 
and in summary, here are my headphones of choice (going from high to low price) 
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro (190)
ATH-M50 (180)
Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 (155) 
Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 (144)
Beyerdynamic DT 770 250 (135)
Sennheiser HD 558 (125) 
KRK KNS 8400 (80-100) 
AKG K-240 MKII (80-100) 
MDR-1R (80 euros)
HFI 2400 (70 euros)

extra info: 
I listen to onerepublic, florence and the machine, lana del rey, the script, so I'm not that much of a basshead, but I do like some of it. 
I'm gonna use the headphones indoor and outdoor with my cowon J3.
Not using an amp!
I also like my headphones to isolate the sound. And ofcourse I don't want to hear much of outside either. 

Thanks for the replies!

May 15, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 13
May 15, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 13
I know I can buy it on amazon too, but if something ever happens to my phones, I can't easily return them, like at a local store. 
And I'll wipe the HD 558 and DT990 off the list then, thanks!

May 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
where are you getting the mdr-1r for 80 euros?? 

for some reason a lot of people get them with another item they're buying, like the xperia Z. so a second hand website in the Netherlands is filled with them. People are putting them up for 80 euros, but I think I can get it for like 70 euros too. They're all new and unopened.. so that's why I've put em on the list. 

May 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #6 of 13
Oh yea, I didn't notice that you can get the MDR-1R for 80 euros. It would be a no-brainer for me then, I would go with the MDR-1R. And as I understand they have a slight emphasis on bass, so they should fit you good (I never tried them though).

May 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Oh yea, I didn't notice that you can get the MDR-1R for 80 euros. It would be a no-brainer for me then, I would go with the MDR-1R. And as I understand they have a slight emphasis on bass, so they should fit you good (I never tried them though).

are they better than the custom one pro's? because I'm in love with those, after reading tons of reviews. 

May 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 13
Honestly I don't know, because I never tried them. From your list I only tried HD558 and DT770. But when buying new things you usualy look for the best price/quality ratio. That's why is a no-brainer.

May 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
are they better than the custom one pro's? because I'm in love with those, after reading tons of reviews. 

Headphone choices aside...if something has grabbed your eye, just go with it.  Because no matter what else you get, you'll always really want that one.  Whether you end up keeping it or not, you should try it out or else you'll always wonder.

That being said I am a beyer fan, though the sony's have gotten some praise around here (i have not tried them).

May 15, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Headphone choices aside...if something has grabbed your eye, just go with it.  Because no matter what else you get, you'll always really want that one.  Whether you end up keeping it or not, you should try it out or else you'll always wonder.

That being said I am a beyer fan, though the sony's have gotten some praise around here (i have not tried them).

You are right about buying the headphones that grabbed my eyes.. but I've read more reviews and they weren't as positive as the ones I read before. I think it may have been because of the burn in time they need, but I can't tell for sure ofcourse, 
And I'd love to try them about, but there's no local store that sells them, so I can't really listen to them without buying them first. 

May 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 13
also, what about the Grado SR60i (84 euros) and Grado SR80i (130 euros) or Ultrasone HFI 2400 (70 euros) ? 
are they better than the headphones I've mentioned above? 

May 15, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
also, what about the Grado SR60i (84 euros) and Grado SR80i (130 euros) or Ultrasone HFI 2400 (70 euros) ? 
are they better than the headphones I've mentioned above? 

I only have experience with the RS1, but the thing I've found with Grado is they don't suit me for 1-headphone solution for genres.  They sound amazing with guitars / rock, but if you like a lot of pop-type music with synths and low end bass, or something that requires a larger soundstage they are not a good choice.  Also they are very open...so like the phones above on the list, they won't isolate and will leak sound...not good for outside.

May 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

I only have experience with the RS1, but the thing I've found with Grado is they don't suit me for 1-headphone solution for genres.  They sound amazing with guitars / rock, but if you like a lot of pop-type music with synths and low end bass, or something that requires a larger soundstage they are not a good choice.  Also they are very open...so like the phones above on the list, they won't isolate and will leak sound...not good for outside.

alright thanks, I'll wipe them off my list as well then! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back