Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Mar 29, 2024 at 2:40 AM Post #871 of 1,023
It seems to remain constant. I just tried 3 other circuits, 2 of which are dedicated 20A breakers with nothing else connected. Still no luck taming the noise.

The thought of spending another $2k+ on a regenerator just to get rid of my Hypsos' hum doesn't fill me with joy. It would seem to make more sense to take that money and put it towards a better DAC if it gets to that point. what you have described so far, it looks like a defective transformer

From what you have described so far, it looks like a defective transformer. I had exactly the same issue with transformer humm of my Holo Audio Spring 3 DAC. It was not DC offset (I have tested very good DC blocker from Isotek), no other gear affected, the same behavior on other home circuits (even in other town).

To cut long story short. I ended up by replacing unit for the new one under warranty. No humm since then!

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #872 of 1,023
It seems to remain constant. I just tried 3 other circuits, 2 of which are dedicated 20A breakers with nothing else connected. Still no luck taming the noise.

The thought of spending another $2k+ on a regenerator just to get rid of my Hypsos' hum doesn't fill me with joy. It would seem to make more sense to take that money and put it towards a better DAC if it gets to that point.
You literally don't need the power supply tho. Especially for the DAC circuit.
RMA'ing the unit would be a much more worthwhile venture considering its a non-essential unit to the stack's operation.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #873 of 1,023
From what you have described so far, it looks like a defective transformer. I had exactly the same issue with transformer humm of my Holo Audio Spring 3 DAC. It was not DC offset (I have tested very good DC blocker from Isotek), no other gear affected, the same behavior on other home circuits (even in other town).

To cut long story short. I ended up by replacing unit for the new one under warranty. No humm since then!
Thanks for the reply and for relaying your experience. Beginning to believe that's what I'm dealing with here.
You literally don't need the power supply tho. Especially for the DAC circuit.
RMA'ing the unit would be a much more worthwhile venture considering its a non-essential unit to the stack's operation.
If it's actually defective or out of spec, we're in agreement. My purpose here was to gather some feedback in an effort to determine if it's actually faulty or if the noise is considered "normal" which would therefore defeat the purpose of sending for RMA. Ferrum would just determine that it's within spec and send it back. My comment regarding the regenerator was within the context of the noise being considered "normal". At that point it would be either a) live with the noise or b) spend another $2k to potentially defeat it which would be cost prohibitive instead of just putting the money toward a better DAC. I also don't want issues whenever I decide to sell it down the road. If the person who buys it is also sensitive to the Hypsos noise, it could be an unpleasant scenario resulting in negative feedback from the buyer.

Perhaps my expectations are too high in terms of silent operation? Maybe I am being obsessive? I don't know... all I know is that I've never had this type of issue with any other gear passing through.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #874 of 1,023
Thanks for the reply and for relaying your experience. Beginning to believe that's what I'm dealing with here.

If it's actually defective or out of spec, we're in agreement. My purpose here was to gather some feedback in an effort to determine if it's actually faulty or if the noise is considered "normal" which would therefore defeat the purpose of sending for RMA. Ferrum would just determine that it's within spec and send it back. My comment regarding the regenerator was within the context of the noise being considered "normal". At that point it would be either a) live with the noise or b) spend another $2k to potentially defeat it which would be cost prohibitive instead of just putting the money toward a better DAC. I also don't want issues whenever I decide to sell it down the road. If the person who buys it is also sensitive to the Hypsos noise, it could be an unpleasant scenario resulting in negative feedback from the buyer.

Perhaps my expectations are too high in terms of silent operation? Maybe I am being obsessive? I don't know... all I know is that I've never had this type of issue with any other gear passing through.
I just believe you're going to be hard pressed to purchase a "better DAC". There are units such as the Mola Mola, sure...
Most of the units are going to be subjectively different or on the order of esoteric stacks running the cost of a new car (shout out to TotalDAC). That decision would be driven on the basis of the superfluous external power supply when if it's the DAC in particular you're concerned with, is the least necessary accessory for a logic level device.

On the bright side, you can continue to use the stack absent the external power supply while they look into it. I'm sure electromechanical noise at the levels of street service 400Hz hum isn't normal and not what they intended to design 🤭 I think your expectations are spot on 💪🏻

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #875 of 1,023
Does the character of the mechanical hum change under loads/different output voltages?
FWIW last night I noticed it changes when the Wandla is on/off. Louder when on, quieter when off.
I'm sure electromechanical noise at the levels of street service 400Hz hum isn't normal and not what they intended to design 🤭 I think your expectations are spot on 💪🏻
You are too kind. :beerchug:

Apr 1, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #876 of 1,023
FWIW last night I noticed it changes when the Wandla is on/off. Louder when on, quieter when off.
My Hypsos have a faint Hum that i am ok with and i think would be in spec. It does get a little louder when i turn it on powering the Oor.

I placed an ifi DC blocker in the Hypsos input. I think it lessened the hum a little but its not completely silent.

Have you tried reversing the power cables poles polarity in the wall outlet?

I think mine was louder one way then the other buzzing quite loud. Also i had connected mine Atlas RCA grun grounding cable to the wrong powerstrip, so maybe i had grounding issue then also becsuse i heard loud static noise in my HP when i turned the equipment off. I had two different powerstrips and needed to connect the grun grounding cable to the same powerstrip that powered the Rca linked devices, so Rca From Dac to amp.
At one point it was also restarting and restarting so total freak out.

1711947552992.png

https://www.atlascables.com/featured-grun.html

Apr 1, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #877 of 1,023
My Hypsos have a faint Hum that i am ok with and i think would be in spec. It does get a little louder when i turn it on powering the Oor.

I placed an ifi DC blocker in the Hypsos input. I think it lessened the hum a little but its not completely silent.

Have you tried reversing the power cables poles polarity in the wall outlet?

I think mine was louder one way then the other buzzing quite loud. Also i had connected mine Atlas RCA grun grounding cable to the wrong powerstrip, so maybe i had grounding issue then also becsuse i heard loud static noise in my HP when i turned the equipment off. I had two different powerstrips and needed to connect the grun grounding cable to the same powerstrip that powered the Rca linked devices, so Rca From Dac to amp.
At one point it was also restarting and restarting so total freak out.

1711947552992.png

https://www.atlascables.com/featured-grun.html
That's not how AC works 🤭 Not sure which country's power plug adapter would let you "reverse" hot and neutral without physical constraints (this would also require you floating the unit from earth), but you definitely can't do it on our standard with 3 prong. Interesting RCA ground strap though. If you're running XLR the chassis should be bonded together and at the same potential. Did you have two different Grun's on the same RCA circuit plugged into the other strip?

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #879 of 1,023
That's not how AC works 🤭 Not sure which country's power plug adapter would let you "reverse" hot and neutral without physical constraints (this would also require you floating the unit from earth), but you definitely can't do it on our standard with 3 prong. Interesting RCA ground strap though. If you're running XLR the chassis should be bonded together and at the same potential. Did you have two different Grun's on the same RCA circuit plugged into the other strip?
I use the 2 pole EU plug. I have old wall outlets in my apartment that's not grounded in EU manner. The ifi powerstation always show red on the polarity check light diode thing no matter how I reverse it.

No i only have the Grun with power plug coming from RCA Cable like the picture i posted in my previous post show.

So Hypsos went amok repeatedly restarting at one point and the voltage got to 30 when was set to 24, and there was a loud buzzing noise coming from the HP connected to Oor when all equipment was turned of and still a little when turned on. And the Hypsos itself was humming more loud then normal. Luckily it didn't get damaged. Sounded Like Wooowooowooo. I had heard it for a longer time and thought the neighbour or something had something going on so i couldn't pin point it. I think it lessened at one point when i reversed the Wall outlets EU plug feeding my Niagara 1000 strip.

When I did wrong
I had Rca with grun from my DMP-A6 - Ferrum Oor and thought i wanted to separate digital and analogue equipment to different power strips as I heard its best.

So to Niagara 1000 power strip i connected the power cable of DMP-A6 streamer/Dac. And to Ifi powerstation strip i connected Ferrum Hypsos power cable that power the Oor. The grun plug i could have connected to either power strips with no difference as they was separated in all scenarios.

When i did right and the buzzing stopped i connected both DMP-A6 and Ferrum Hypsos to same powerstrip along with Grun Power plug. In combination of trying to find the right polarity on the Wall outlet that power feed both power strips through trying both sides 2 pole polarity and to listen if something makes Hypsos buzz louder.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #880 of 1,023
Ferrum/HEM people never sleep! :)

WANDLA FIRMWARE VERSION 1.3.0 REVOKED
New firmware is in the testing phase. If it will pass it it will be released soon. If not then we will have to wait a little bit longer. (info received from support, 5 April)

WANDLA UPDATE BUG on macOS - FIX AVAILABLE
They released the Bootloader v0.14.1 update

Serce Bootloeader Revision history:
v0.14.1 / 2024-04-03
- FIXED: macOS can't configure device because of too long time spent in firmware verification.
v0.14.0 / 2024-03-04
- internal adjustments
v0.13.0 / 2023-12-11
- improved power loss support
- internal rework
v0.8.1 / 2023-10-06
- FIXED: Sometimes can't erease flash banks, which caueses random update breaking
- fixed wrong firmware validity reporting after cable disconnection
v0.7.1
- first version released with Wandla

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #881 of 1,023
Hi, I have a Wandla + Oor + Hypsos stack, and control volume with the Wandla while having the Oor on bypass mode so that I can use the remote to control volume. But music volume doesn't seem to go up that high - I am not a loud listener but still have to crank up to 55-60 on Wandla with my Utopia 22 or 65-70 on the Final D7000. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #882 of 1,023
Hi, I have a Wandla + Oor + Hypsos stack, and control volume with the Wandla while having the Oor on bypass mode so that I can use the remote to control volume. But music volume doesn't seem to go up that high - I am not a loud listener but still have to crank up to 55-60 on Wandla with my Utopia 22 or 65-70 on the Final D7000. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
That seems about right. That's a good 30-40dB or more of attenuation

Apr 7, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #884 of 1,023
I just believe you're going to be hard pressed to....

I tried the iFi DC Blocker as well but for me it had no effect.

My dealer was gracious enough to let me try another Hypsos but unfortunately it produced the same noise as the first one, maybe slightly worse. Seems that the hum is within tolerance. You'd think at this price Ferrum could put a shield over the transformer or something, at least then if it hums you won't hear it.

I decided to return the Hypsos to the dealer and will be selling my Wandla privately. If anyone is looking to try one feel free to message me or keep an eye out for it.

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #885 of 1,023
I tried the iFi DC Blocker as well but for me it had no effect.

My dealer was gracious enough to let me try another Hypsos but unfortunately it produced the same noise as the first one, maybe slightly worse. Seems that the hum is within tolerance. You'd think at this price Ferrum could put a shield over the transformer or something, at least then if it hums you won't hear it.

I decided to return the Hypsos to the dealer and will be selling my Wandla privately. If anyone is looking to try one feel free to message me or keep an eye out for it.
Before boxing, would you mind recording a video for reference? YouTube or whatever file dump service would be cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back