Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #601 of 1,028
In checking the Cen.Grand DSDAC, there were several references to this Wandla DAC having equivalent sound quality. I'm doing research-- especially via the gurus on this board-- and there's several features I really like:

1) Coming from an Oppo 205, I'm a big fan of the ESS 9038P chipset...and its supposedly implemented about as good as it gets. I wish I could still get the Modwright upgrade... But since it's sadly not available anymore this may be a worthy option.

2). Has a rare analog input so I can hook in my HD radio setup and use this great processing. You have to get the ridiculously expensive deluxe version of DSDAC to get this

3) Apparently there are zero issues with running XLR and RCA at the same time, a feat many components cannot say. I would use this by running XLR to my Audio Research preamp & RCA to a soon to be purchased Schiit Syn Matrix surround processor--which would bring back a feature I sorely miss off my former Conrad Johnson gear.

4) The UI was designed by someone who just "gets it" . Obviously a young group that are very familiar with mobile phones, from what I can see very slickly implemented

5) Unlike DACs that carry over year after year that were designed at least five years ago, this seems very updated hardware as well--including i2s & HDMI ARC and (likely the controversial) choice of USB C. Not quite sure I agree with that decision as well because a lot of people have really nice A to "printer" B cables that will not work anymore. Especially if you run from like a streamer into this you don't have to worry about noise from a computer...USB B works just fine and has many more 3rd party cable options

But one huge question mark that I don't see anyone addressing yet. How can it only weigh 3-4 pounds and have good interference isolation (especially with the analog input). Something like the DS DAC or the Cayin CS-100 is over 20lbs! Obviously it doesn't have a linear power supply which would add weight, but it just seems too light to me? Did anyone else notice this?
Not an expert but afaik isolation has nothing to do with weight. Weight is transformers and chassis. You should factor in the weight of Hypsos, but even then its not a typical, heavy lps.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #603 of 1,028
Yep I got great answers with several questions to Ferrum. You can tell these guys are really on the ball. As a bonus it's pretty easy to heft into your equipment rack... vs a Cen.Grand or Cayin beast.
was also interested in cen. grand deluxe but something didn't feel right... waiting after canjam NYC next month... for a special announcement and then decide on WANDLA or else

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #604 of 1,028
was also interested in cen. grand deluxe but something didn't feel right

That something related to them is probably along lines of the product code "GLS". I think everyone's waiting to see what they C-G does with a combo device... And that just maybe where they demonstrate it. I have to check to see if they're going to the Florida Expo as well.

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #605 of 1,028
was also interested in cen. grand deluxe but something didn't feel right

That something related to them is probably along lines of the product code "GLS". I think everyone's waiting to see what they C-G does with a combo device... And that just maybe where they demonstrate it. I have to check to see if they're going to the Florida Expo as well.
some funny posts in the thread... read the complete thread 3 times and got a feeling! many reassuring that burn in thing and that it's getting better and better... etc... not buying for 6.5k and a few quick to resell! don't think those early adaptors paid full retail.
maybe better for classical music...

Ferrum guys seem legit... on point with what they decided to produce. Don't love it (ERCO, desktop market) would rather see them in +5k market...

Jan 30, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #606 of 1,028
Anyone compared Wandla vs May yet in depth? Very curious about Wandla. Thinking about downsizing my setup and it Wandla definitly caught my interest, dont want to lose out compared to May though.

Jan 31, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #608 of 1,028
Mqa with Wandla easily beats holo May KTE NOS , May KTE + hqplayer and wandla on hqplayer filter.
Sure.

I have both, A/B tested properly and no. Sorry. They’re very different DACs and they both do different things better. Wandla punches well above its weight, that’s for sure.

But now you’re going to come back at me with my cables not being good enough….

Jan 31, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #610 of 1,028
Jan 31, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #611 of 1,028
Usually such folks sell their cheaper gear they fantasized to be superior couple of month later and end up with supposedly inferior more expensive gear. Saw that many times on head-fi :)

Not because of the perfomance or synergy btw, its the purchase-insecurity, which results in exaggerations like the one above.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #613 of 1,028
I rest my case on why such people don't hear a difference and wrongly blame other stuff and is proud of it too.

Up to the rest to decide if they wanna follow the advice of people who cant hear a difference.
We’re not all gifted with your super human hearing, neither with your god-like silver cables which make everything sound amazing because hey… they’re made of silver! Wow!

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #614 of 1,028
DAC sound is difficult, as is cable sound.
I had countless DACs here, in almost all price ranges, the first one that really impressed me was the Audio-GD R28.
Before R28, my ifi Stack was my "endgame", but once I heard the proper R2R sound, I didn't want to hear anything else.
Since then I have been trying to find a smaller device to replace my R28, so far without success.
My last attempts were these:

Denafrips, played with different firmware versions:
IMG_1808.JPG

Rockna Wavelight, bought an expensive RCA switch, for blindtest:
IMG_1880.JPG

IMG_1895.JPG

And at least:
IMG_2190.JPG

I know I'm not going to make any friends here with this statement, but the Ferrum devices are simply overpriced in my opinion, but that seems to be the trend these days.
In the forums these days, all that counts is the hype, and the feeling is that the more expensive it is, the better it is, and that's simply not the case.

The Wandla is a wonderful device, I like the HQPlayer filters and they make an audible difference, whether that's worth €3k to someone, or over €4k with the HYPSOS, everyone has to decide for themselves.

Conclusion:
All the devices are gone again, my 1.3k€ R28 is still there - unchallenged :D

Jan 31, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #615 of 1,028
DAC sound is difficult, as is cable sound.
I had countless DACs here, in almost all price ranges, the first one that really impressed me was the Audio-GD R28.
Before R28, my ifi Stack was my "endgame", but once I heard the proper R2R sound, I didn't want to hear anything else.
Since then I have been trying to find a smaller device to replace my R28, so far without success.
My last attempts were these:

Denafrips, played with different firmware versions:
IMG_1808.JPG

Rockna Wavelight, bought an expensive RCA switch, for blindtest:
IMG_1880.JPG

IMG_1895.JPG

And at least:
IMG_2190.JPG

I know I'm not going to make any friends here with this statement, but the Ferrum devices are simply overpriced in my opinion, but that seems to be the trend these days.
In the forums these days, all that counts is the hype, and the feeling is that the more expensive it is, the better it is, and that's simply not the case.

The Wandla is a wonderful device, I like the HQPlayer filters and they make an audible difference, whether that's worth €3k to someone, or over €4k with the HYPSOS, everyone has to decide for themselves.

Conclusion:
All the devices are gone again, my 1.3k€ R28 is still there - unchallenged :D
Gee.. R28 is 1k. 👀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back