Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #586 of 1,028
If it has to yours, great! But what’s the point in trying to preach the technical superiority of an algorithm if that presumed superiority is not perceived by the end user you’re talking to.
If that's all you are going to comment, you may want to look at the mirror because that's what you are doing. I'm sharing my experience of mqa vs HQPlayer in the Wandla and few ppl jump in saying I'm wrong. 😂 Then when i can debate on how it's better they do some cheap shots and bring up misinformation again.

MQA has never sounded better in any way to my ears and that’s all that counts to me.
As mentioned, mqa is demanding. If you have a weak transport or cheap cables then it won't sound better than hi-res or redbook. So you should be blaming your chain, not mqa.

Jan 19, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #587 of 1,028
If that's all you are going to comment, you may want to look at the mirror because that's what you are doing. I'm sharing my experience of mqa vs HQPlayer in the Wandla and few ppl jump in saying I'm wrong. 😂 Then when i can debate on how it's better they do some cheap shots and bring up misinformation again.

As mentioned, mqa is demanding. If you have a weak transport or cheap cables then it won't sound better than hi-res or redbook. So you should be blaming your chain, not mqa.
You wish you had my chain and cables mate :)

Jan 19, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #589 of 1,028
But u just said mqa sounds worse on it.. No thanks.
That’s not what I said. I just stated that I could hear no difference.

Jan 19, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #590 of 1,028
That’s not what I said. I just stated that I could hear no difference.
Exactly. Your cables are the weakest link then. Mqa vs HQPlayer on the Wandla is very obvious. Crap cables wont let one hear the deeper presentation MQA on Wandla gives. Just because you cant hear a difference with ur cables and set up doesn't mean there's no chance others can.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #591 of 1,028
Installing a Synergistic Purple fuse in the Hypsos significantly improved all elements of the sound. A lot has been written about these fuses and I have no idea how they work, but found the results in my system to be in line with all of the positive feedback that I have read on various forums and sites.
What orientation of SR Purple fuse did you end up with? SR label with R towards up or vice versa? I am just going to replace fuse with SR Purple in Hypsos today.

Jan 22, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #592 of 1,028
What orientation of SR Purple fuse did you end up with? SR label with R towards up or vice versa? I am just going to replace fuse with SR Purple in Hypsos today.
I believe it was with the R facing up, but I honestly can't remember. I have found in the past that there is one direction that works better than the other. So, whichever way you plug it in -- run it for a while then reverse it. You will be able to clearly hear which way sounds better.

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #593 of 1,028
I believe it was with the R facing up, but I honestly can't remember. I have found in the past that there is one direction that works better than the other. So, whichever way you plug it in -- run it for a while then reverse it. You will be able to clearly hear which way sounds better.
Wow I havent heard of this before. So replacing the stock fuse on the Hypsos provides some improvsment in SQ? And where can I ger this fuse? I did this with my Musician R2R DAC but dont understand how SQ will change with the HYPSOS when it is basically just a PS? Maybe you mean OOR or WANDLA? Thank you

Jan 22, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #595 of 1,028
Those don’t have fuses to replace

Wow I havent heard of this before. So replacing the stock fuse on the Hypsos provides some improvsment in SQ? And where can I ger this fuse? I did this with my Musician R2R DAC but dont understand how SQ will change with the HYPSOS when it is basically just a PS? Maybe you mean OOR or WANDLA? Thank you
It's the Hypsos. As kajetanjazz says, there aren't any fuses in the Oor or Wandla. Your DAC has an internal power supply which the fuse improves. Same principal with the Hypsos + Wandla. Synergistic offers a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't hear a difference, but I think you will.

In the US, I have gotten mine from these guys.
https://highend-electronics.com/pro...le-quantum-fuses?_pos=73&_sid=212bb9b92&_ss=r

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #596 of 1,028
Jan 26, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #598 of 1,028
I think this is a fiio m15. Still has the older tidal api. The r7 doesnt seem to have as much mqa i think. But personally, i ended up on NAD ci 580 v2 for it's BluOS and multi spdif out hedging on more MQA via bluOS as they intentionally arent updating their API. And the multi spdif out can make me do dual dac, BluOS permitting.

But for the i2s experiment that splits to two i2s Wandlas, seems like the only option is the ifi neo stream for streaming. Issue is it kicks itself out of bit perfect after 5mins and i dunno if that's resolved. Aune flagship player has i2s out. Ps audio airlens has i2s but reports of it's performance is underwhelming. I think Eversolo has i2s but it has the new Tidal API and but the whole experience is not stable yet with Eversolo.
This reviewer failed to get good sound from MQA, maybe a Roon issue?
https://www.stereophile.com/content/ferrum-wandla-da-preamplifier

Jan 26, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #599 of 1,028
This reviewer failed to get good sound from MQA, maybe a Roon issue?
https://www.stereophile.com/content/ferrum-wandla-da-preamplifier
Yea I've always said Roon is not a transparent ecosystem. On top of that it needs a noisy pc and a noisy network system. All that interference will just go on top of MQA's quality. Even Roon MQA decoding sounds odd but if his unit has it switching between mqa and 44.1 then maybe he has it on full decoding which is preferable.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #600 of 1,028
In checking the Cen.Grand DSDAC, there were several references to this Wandla DAC having equivalent sound quality. I'm doing research-- especially via the gurus on this board-- and there's several features I really like:

1) Coming from an Oppo 205, I'm a big fan of the ESS 9038P chipset...and its supposedly implemented about as good as it gets. I wish I could still get the Modwright upgrade... But since it's sadly not available anymore this may be a worthy option.

2). Has a rare analog input so I can hook in my HD radio setup and use this great processing. You have to get the ridiculously expensive deluxe version of DSDAC to get this

3) Apparently there are zero issues with running XLR and RCA at the same time, a feat many components cannot say. I would use this by running XLR to my Audio Research preamp & RCA to a soon to be purchased Schiit Syn Matrix surround processor--which would bring back a feature I sorely miss off my former Conrad Johnson gear.

4) The UI was designed by someone who just "gets it" . Obviously a young group that are very familiar with mobile phones, from what I can see very slickly implemented

5) Unlike DACs that carry over year after year that were designed at least five years ago, this seems very updated hardware as well--including i2s & HDMI ARC and (likely the controversial) choice of USB C. Not quite sure I agree with that decision as well because a lot of people have really nice A to "printer" B cables that will not work anymore. Especially if you run from like a streamer into this you don't have to worry about noise from a computer...USB B works just fine and has many more 3rd party cable options

But one huge question mark that I don't see anyone addressing yet. How can it only weigh 3-4 pounds and have good interference isolation (especially with the analog input). Something like the DS DAC or the Cayin CS-100 is over 20lbs! Obviously it doesn't have a linear power supply which would add weight, but it just seems too light to me? Did anyone else notice this?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back