Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #31 of 1,294
Yeah that stuff in the 6moons article is nonsense about the HYPSOS not being able to power an OOR and Wandla at the same time. I sent the author a polite email some time back asking where he heard it wouldn't work, but he didn't bother replying.

Ferrum said they're going to reach out to the author and ask him to correct his mistake.

Edit: the article has been updated with the correct info.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #32 of 1,294
While I'm usually no fan of D/S DACs, I have heard a few that sounded great, like the Weiss DAC502 ($10,500) which uses two ESS DAC chips (but only as a delta-sigma modulator and Weiss' own code for everything else) and it sounded fantastic. So it is possible for DACs using of-the-shelf D/S DAC chips to sound good, but they are usually really expensive. The cheapest good sounding D/S DAC I've heard so far is the TEAC UD-701N ($4300), and I'm hoping the WANDLA can come close to or match it's SQ for $2800.
I'm going to have to disagree. I have had the Weiss 501 Mk II and it absolutely didn't sound fantastic. The build quality is a disgrace. It's £10K in the UK and is made from pressed metal?! While the resolution is initially impressive, it quickly gives way to a flat, veiled and uninspiring soundstage. I was unimpressed.

I'm going to try Wandla, because I am still hopeful someone can produce an ESS based DAC that sounds good.

Apr 16, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #35 of 1,294
You should give a listen to Ideon Audio DACs which are ESS based, their cost no object Absolute DAC ε is reportedly one of the top DACs in the market.

They are outside my budget sadly.

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #37 of 1,294
Apr 20, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #38 of 1,294
Looking at an A2 OG, whatever that means. Or whatever the general hive mind says is best. I want the best dac under $3k. WWYD? I have a susvara and OOR stack. Everyone is like ‘oh no delta sigma, oh no my dad left my mom for a R2R dac, oh no’ I have ****ing no idea what is best.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #39 of 1,294
Looking at an A2 OG, whatever that means. Or whatever the general hive mind says is best. I want the best dac under $3k. WWYD? I have a susvara and OOR stack.
Best is subjective. You sure you want to go down the rabbit hole?

Apr 20, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #41 of 1,294
I own a susvara and OOR stack... Assume I am fully autistic and willing to go down the rabbit hole.

Well, you have a lot of choice. Ideally you'd audition them at a dealer, or at least buy them from someone who will let you return them. Essentially though, what it boils down to is a choice between AKM, ESS, FPGA or R2R/NOS. You ideally would listen to at least one good example within your budget of each type before committing to a purchase. So, you could start with the Chord Qutest (FPGA), then Gustard A26 (AKM), then Gustard R26 (R2R) and finally RME ADI-2 FS (ESS). These suggestions are not definitive, just a suggestion so you can experience all flavours then decide. You have a healthy budget, so try it all.

Good luck!

Apr 22, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #43 of 1,294
At first I was intrigued but now I’m disappointed and even a bit confused when I read this on the 6moons article:

It goes without saying that like for their pure head amp and mixed DAC/headfi deck, Hypsos the external switching/linear power supply stands by on ferrum's in-house upgrade path. And no, Hypsos isn't potent enough to power both Wandla and Oor at once when each wants at least 24V but can take up to 30V.

I understand getting maximum power efficiency is always an engineering challenge to solve but it seems like a lost opportunity here to fill in that missing final component of a beautifully connected Hypsos & OOR ecosystem. But what is puzzling me is some of the promotional photos on headphones.com show an ERCO stacked on top and connected by 3-way power splitter but at that point if you have an ERCO for the DAC stage it makes repurchasing a whole other dedicated DAC an expensive proposition. Also if it can’t handle a 3-way connection with the OOR surely even the ERCO still draws too much power? Is this just a product photography mistake by a 3rd party seller?

Also someone who is smarter than me please chime in, if one were to purchase this and you had to only power one device with the Hypsos, is it better to use the Hypsos to power the DAC/preamp stage or save the dedicated power supply for the beefier headphone amp?
I asked Ferrum this question and they said yes you'll get 100% performance with two Hypsos but you'll get 95% performance with just one Hypsos. Their tone implied they did not feel it was worth adding a second Hypsos for the $$$.

I've preordered the Wandla and plan to use it with the Hypsos (and Oor) I already have. I'm impressed with the Oor enough that I'm willing to give the Wandla a shot. Could make a really nice little system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back