Ferrite Beads - Useless?
Mar 18, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #16 of 23
As long as the USB cable is up to specification when it comes to shielding, I don't see how it matters. By its intrinsic qualities, a digital interconnect can have more noise since it only needs the tolerance in transmitting a serial stream of 1s and 0s. I live near a radio tower. I do pick up radio interference with various amplifier designs and analog interconnects. I found a ground loop isolator for my subwoofer that eliminates the plate amplifier getting a hum. For my main home theater receiver, I've found it has to be plugged into a surge protector or power conditioner that has a RFI filter (otherwise I'll hear the radio station in my loudspeakers). I have tried ferrite cores around analog cables, and found they do nothing (at least for RFI).
Exactly, as the article i posted in the initial post explains, it has no effect in the audible frequencies that’s why I asked about digital :)

Mar 23, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #17 of 23
It is the USB grounds connection that can introduce EMI into the audio unit, not the data being corrupted. Computers can have very noisy grounds. This can cause interference in the audio. You can add these ferrite clamps on the USB cable, but you are shooting in the dark without really good measurement gear. It should always make zero to some improvement, but it is difficult to be sure. You may get lucky.
However you can buy galvanically isolated USB connectors. These completely remove the electrical connection to you PC. This will be an improvement IF you had an issue in the first place. you probably don't if the gear you buy is designed well.

USB 2.0 is not expensive
https://electronics-shop.dk/usb-isolator

USB 3.0 is pricy as it is harder
https://ifi-audio.com/products/nano-igalvanic3-0/

May 28, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #18 of 23
No to ferrite on audio cables. Google it, it collapes soundstage etc. Best used with leaky digital, like CDP. Reportedly no benefit on power cables like amplifiers either, although some see use if ham radio operater in area.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #20 of 23
No to ferrite on audio cables. Google it, it collapes soundstage etc. Best used with leaky digital like CDP. Reportedly no benefit on power cables like amplifiers either, although some see use if ham radio operater in area.
For power cables it should not actually make any difference, since most good gear already has proper built in EMI Filters with much higher inductance than any size cable bead can hope to introduce :)

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #22 of 23
yes its a very old term no longer used due to the # key and programming. so excuse my terminology.

carry on
Don't worry, the term "hash," or more specifically "RF hash," is a correct and commonly used informal term in the context of RFI and RF chokes. Then, of course, there is my favorite kind of hash—corned beef hash—preferably with runny eggs.

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #23 of 23
When powering a digital recorder with condenser mics using a usb cable with ferrite beads on both ends I get a 375Hz and 1000Hz noise introduced into the recording. My other cables don't do that. I also tried that with about 10 other USB adapters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back