Female voice and piano? Closed back up to £375
Jan 13, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #21 of 34
I listen with my ears not my eyes.

Oh right that's what I have been doing wrong then, I thought you were supposed to put the ear pads around your eyes?? OMG I just took them off my eyes and put them on my ears and they sound AMAZING compared to wearing them on my eyes like I have been doing all this time.... Wow thanks for the info I cannot believe what I have been missing by wearing my headphones over my eyes all this time, the sound when placed over the ears is nothing short of astonishingly clear and detailed compared to wearing them on my eyes.

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #23 of 34
I wouldn't choose any of the ones you selected. The 1540 doesn't really shine for vocals. It has not bad integrated mids but they are further away from your ear and lacking body.It' however a good sounding headphone that has decent bass, even if it rolls off a bit and a good extended treble. They have a good soundstage and good image. The sense of air in this headphone is fantastic. Vocals I found didn't have much body or emotion to them as  I tend to like(Most of my music collection is heavily focused on vocals) ey sounded slightly further back lacking intimacy and even recessed to some but  I think that's exaggerating. I think it's an all-rounder and doesn't really shine in one thing. It's also a bit over priced but so are many others!

Closed back headphones are difficult for vocals, I've heard a handful that actually sound great with them. 

Mad Dog 3.0-3.1

This version will be hard to find but I'm sure the classifieds would be kind to you if you are patient. The vocals are excellent, A+ as far as closed phones go. The lack of soundstage creates a really intimate experience and with the excellent midrange presentation makes voices sound really nice. You can really feel the emotion and detail in the voice. The headphone otherwise has good bass and excellent imaging.

W1000x

Vocals on this woodie are great. I don't think they are as good as the MD's because for my preference I like a thicker,seductive haunting sound. The W1000x has quite balanced mids but with a nice tone. It's ever so slightly romantic sounding which is nice but they are very clean, detailed. Bass is nice but rolls off which is quite annoying but it could be worse. Treble is bright, detailed a bit sharp for me though. Good efficient headphone for vocals for sure.

Others I think have good vocals but don't stand out are

HP50 
Mad Dog 3.2
Focal Classic/Pro
A900x

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #25 of 34
Its odd because I REALLY like vocals on the 1540 (with NAD D1050), as they can be a bit further back this allows for some really nice 3D layering on some vocals.... I guess everyone likes different things but with the D1050 the vocals are on of my favorite things about the headphones.

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #26 of 34
I do like that look though. Its functional.

Many reviewers seem to have got the impression that most if not all of the Beyer range has a treble that some will be unable to tolerate.

I played the 940s last night and I mean really quietly but I now have sore ears (I have Hyperacusis)

So my ears are about as sensitive as possible.

Please remember I can only listen at the quietest volumes (like only just audible) so that's the state the headphone will be operating in. Much lower volume than the average user.

So for example the 1540 might be great for this situation because its described as sounding best at lower volumes.

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #27 of 34
I do like that look though. Its functional.

Many reviewers seem to have got the impression that most if not all of the Beyer range has a treble that some will be unable to tolerate.

I played the 940s last night and I mean really quietly but I now have sore ears (I have Hyperacusis)

So my ears are about as sensitive as possible.

Please remember I can only listen at the quietest volumes (like only just audible) so that's the state the headphone will be operating in. Much lower volume than the average user.

So for example the 1540 might be great for this situation because its describing as sounding best at lower volumes.

From my experience with beyers DT770 and 990 you will probably not like the treble on beyers, they do not do much to mask sibilance and usually have a peak in the treble area. The others mentioned here might be different I don't know as not used them.

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #28 of 34
Vocals I think when they lack body, they lose emotion and the further back they are the less texture they have. I find that unacceptable for my uses but I'm very vocal oriented,  They do vocals fine, just not great.

If anyone is like me and want vocals to stand out, sing to you with beautiful emotion and sound so real and seductive then it's the wrong headphone.

Mids need to be more forward. It's slightly grainy sounding which bothered me personally. I don't want ot make it sound like I'm bashng it because I'm not, it's a good headphone just not for this purpose and I can't see anyone serious about vocals picking one up. If anyone likes the vocals then fantastic but once you hear real vocal headphones, K501,LCD2,HD650,HE400i it ruins a lot of headphones for you :frowning2:

At low volumes it balances itself out a bit more but it's still not a present enough sound for vocals. The W1000x sounds good at low volumes, great and has better mids that stand out with good texture. I found it a better sounding headphone than the 1540 but I prefer the 1540's bass and comfort. 

DT770 is good, it's more fun than the 1540 with a larger soundstage but it doesn't have the refinement and detail the 1540 has. They are not worlds apart from there is a difference. Vocals on the 770 have a nice tone but they lack presence with that big soft bass.

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #30 of 34
  Vocals I think when they lack body, they lose emotion and the further back they are the less texture they have. I find that unacceptable for my uses but I'm very vocal oriented,  They do vocals fine, just not great.

If anyone is like me and want vocals to stand out, sing to you with beautiful emotion and sound so real and seductive then it's the wrong headphone.

Mids need to be more forward. It's slightly grainy sounding which bothered me personally. I don't want ot make it sound like I'm bashng it because I'm not, it's a good headphone just not for this purpose and I can't see anyone serious about vocals picking one up. If anyone likes the vocals then fantastic but once you hear real vocal headphones, K501,LCD2,HD650,HE400i it ruins a lot of headphones for you :frowning2:

At low volumes it balances itself out a bit more but it's still not a present enough sound for vocals. The W1000x sounds good at low volumes, great and has better mids that stand out with good texture. I found it a better sounding headphone than the 1540 but I prefer the 1540's bass and comfort. 

DT770 is good, it's more fun than the 1540 with a larger soundstage but it doesn't have the refinement and detail the 1540 has. They are not worlds apart from there is a difference. Vocals on the 770 have a nice tone but they lack presence with that big soft bass.

What source do you use? With the STX vocals exactly as you describe but with D1050 no grain at all and not thin sounding either. personally I quite like the way the mids sound a bit further away as it makes them sound bigger and more open and sometimes has a really nice 3D soundstage, but everyone likes different things. The HD650 are very nice for vocals, I agree, but open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back