Female Vocals Exchange Thread [All languages and cultures]
Apr 2, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #16 of 42
I will begin with what in my opinion is the good example of Russian femininity ( voice and looks). I will dedicate all my post only to Russian singers.

2 songs below are more catchy

This singer below sings in a weird mix of R&B and punk 

This song below was one of the best in pop category last year

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #18 of 42
Hmm indeed they do! 

Another vocal track that I enjoy, 4 days an no posts >.> no good you guys! we need some new music on this thread ^^ those new artists should have a few decent singers in there 

I also love the russian language it's really very beautiful and I love the depth of their language

here's a nice song with a good vocalist [a little popular but you guys can get over it xD]

I'm not a fan of multiple singers at once, as it really ruins the warmth of the individual voices, non the less I do enjoy this track! 

Also here's a wonderful Track by Lisa Ekdahl, I like it better than the one already posted by her! Differnt song already posted artist, but a differnt side to her! 

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #19 of 42
You should get the entire album ("Lisa Ekdahl Sings Salvadore Poe" is the name of the album). The whole album is amazing--every single song is in that style (bossa nova). 

Here are more contributions:

Olivia Lufkin - Half Japanese and American. Combines different styles (IDM, rock, indie, pop). Her voice is high-pitched and sonorous.

Tears and Rainbow

Spiderspins

Trinka Trinka

Caroline Lufkin - She's Olivia's younger sister. She's got a very expressive, girly voice.
Every Little Thing

Where's My Love

Gone

Stacy Kent - I really like the earthy texture and expressiveness of her voice.

S'Wonderful

They Can't Take That Away From Me

As One - A S. Korean female duet. They have similar voices, and the kind of voice I would describe as "pretty." Excellent arrangement on this song too--very unique and sounds nothing like any other pop song out there.

Orient Express

Peggy Hsu - A Taiwanese songwriter/singer. Very talented and writes amazing lyrics (very creative poetry-like lyrics). Her voice is girly and expressive.

Sunshine Lovers

Obscure Aristocrats

Fell In Love With the Circus Leader

Snowman

Taru - S. Korean indie singer. Very cute voice.

Strawberry

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #20 of 42
My type of thread - definitely subbed, and will try to contribute as much as I can.

For today - Agnes Obel - Danish singer/songwriter/musician

Style / genre would be a mix of classical, folk and pop.

Track = "Riverside", album = Philharmonics

And track = "Brother Sparrow", album again = Philharmonics

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #21 of 42
If we are talking about such voices as of Lisa Ekhdal I would like to mention Ingrid Michaelson ( different genre though) whose album Human again was one of my favorite last year.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #23 of 42
Discovered Rai Kamishiro a week ago and ordered her new album on Bandcamp. She's got a nice, cute voice and sings well both in Japanese and English.
http://raikamishiro.bandcamp.com/album/cor-leonis

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #24 of 42
A trip back to the 90's ......... Amanda Marshall - Canadian singer songwriter.

Best description of genre would be a mix of pop, rock and R&B.  The thing I love about Amanda Marshall's song writing is lyrically she always seems to have a strong message - and couple that with a very powerful singing voice .... I really enjoy her.

First example - "Birmingham" from her self titled album:

And next - from the same album - "Let It Rain"

If anyone is interested - the whole album is here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E0h8hEz3Zg

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #25 of 42
Quote:
As One - A S. Korean female duet. They have similar voices, and the kind of voice I would describe as "pretty." Excellent arrangement on this song too--very unique and sounds nothing like any other pop song out there.

Orient Express

Some Asian female singers remind me French ones in naive high-pitched intonations. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:
You should get the entire album ("Lisa Ekdahl Sings Salvadore Poe" is the name of the album). The whole album is amazing--every single song is in that style (bossa nova). 

I did, I don't download songs and I like the whole album! 

I'll watch everything and post more stuff tommorow or something... 

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #27 of 42
Quote:
Discovered Rai Kamishiro a week ago and ordered her new album on Bandcamp. She's got a nice, cute voice and sings well both in Japanese and English.
http://raikamishiro.bandcamp.com/album/cor-leonis

Nice range of vocal styles and expressions. She can go from mainstream j-pop diva to ultra cute very convincingly, and she does the nasal voice really well. I read a bit of her blog, and she seems like a lovely person.

EDIT: I listened to most of the songs she has up, and unfortunately, the actual composition is pretty bad in most of the songs. There's no actual melodic contour to most of them, with very repetitive melodic lines that have very flat vertical movements (very little changes in the intervals of the notes). There's also no sense of development and structure to the entire melodic contour from the beginning to the end of the songs. The worst part, is that the arrangement actually clashes with the vocal melody quite often, which is extremely unprofessional and grating on the ears when those unintentional dissonant clashes occur, showing a lack of understanding of harmonic structure--which is something all composers/songwriters are supposed to have mastered at the basic level for songwriting.

I suspect that she and her collaborators are the type that messes around with music-making software but haven't actually spent enough time studying the basics of composition, songwriting and arrangement (such as harmonic structure/progression, melodic development, song structure, etc). Now, there are plenty of people out there who are self-taught, but there is a baseline level that you need to rise above to be considered competent, regardless if you are classically trained or self-taught, or what genre you make music in. Her genre is pop, and she and her collaborators have to at least master the basics of pop songwriting/composition/arrangement. 

I would love to help her make her music better. I've contacted her to let her know I'm interested in collaborating (I'm a composer/songwriter). (She said she won't be collaborating with her previous collaborator anymore in her blog.)

Quote:

Some Asian female singers remind me French ones in naive high-pitched intonations. 

I love the stuff Vanessa Paradis did with Lenny Kravitz. I love this song from her:
Your Love's Got A Handle On My Mind:

I can't stand Alizee though--she's not a "singer" to me because her singing is so flat and lacking any technique or expressiveness--she's really just a hot chick that shakes her ass, and her songs are excuses for her to shake it. It's actually hard to find pop singers that sing worse than Alizee. This isn't a subjective comment, but an objective one, disregarding stylistic preference. 

And since we're on French female singers, I should mention Coralie Clément, singing in that retro 60's cute French pop style:

Ces Matins D'été:

Kahimi Karie is Japanese, but she's done a lot of French songs, and sings in that similar 60's French pop cute sex kitten style:

Mike Alway's Diary:

She sings in English too:

I'm a fan of Marit Larsen. Such a cute person (she's always so positive and glowing) and cute voice: 

I'll wrap up this post with Jillian Aversa singing a song by Zircon (he's video game soundtrack composer/electronic music--they are husband and wife). She's done a lot of vocals for famous AAA video game soundtracks. She's got one of those classically trained voices with very good technique:

Just Hold On (I love the lyrics--very beautiful):

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #29 of 42
new artist Christina Grimmie. Just came out with 1st album...

http://youtu.be/5yWGE-fsBNA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back