Female-fronted goth bands - suggestions?
Jun 28, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #17 of 55
Therion's albums 'Secret of the Runes' and 'Deggial' would probably be called goth metal by some. Whatever their genre is, they are excellent!

Also, check out an indie band called Querkus for good electronic based groovy gothic sounds.

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #18 of 55
Birthday Massacre
Curve
Epica
Flowing Tears
Garbage
Gathering
Lacrimosa (m/f)
Lacuna Coil
Leaves' Eyes
Nightwish
Sirenia
Theatre of Tragedy
Therion (m/f)
Tristania
Within Temptation

...were some of the first things to go on my iPod.

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Therion's albums 'Secret of the Runes' and 'Deggial' would probably be called goth metal by some. Whatever their genre is, they are excellent!

Also, check out an indie band called Querkus for good electronic based groovy gothic sounds.

As the only person to post in my "What is the problem with Therion's Gothic Kabbalah" thread in which I decided that my stuffed sinuses were affecting my D1001's SQ, you should know I've got Therion in a place of honour in my library.
wink.gif
Also, I'm not sure I consider them female-fronted... the female voices are backing/secondary vocals more often than not (with exceptions, of course).

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Birthday Massacre
Curve
Epica
Flowing Tears
Garbage
Gathering
Lacrimosa (m/f)
Lacuna Coil
Leaves' Eyes
Nightwish
Sirenia
Theatre of Tragedy
Therion (m/f)
Tristania
Within Temptation

...were some of the first things to go on my iPod.

I'd call Garbage more... alternative. Man, just using that word outs me as a youth of the 90s.
tongue.gif

Still, good list. There's a few there I have (Epica FTW) and a few I know I need to get.

I might add that your list is missing After Forever. Epica is essentially a spin-off band from AF, featuring AF's former writer/guitarist/growler Mark Jansen. As such, early (pre Mark-Jansen leaving) After Forever may as well be Epica with a different singer.

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #21 of 55
I'll second Dusty Chalk's recommendation for The Gathering. Dutch metal band fronted by Anneke Van Giersbergen, who's become my favorite (living) female singer. Also check out her more recent (post-Gathering) work in Agua de Annique. For a change, someone who can actually sing!

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might add that your list is missing After Forever. Epica is essentially a spin-off band from AF, featuring AF's former writer/guitarist/growler Mark Jansen. As such, early (pre Mark-Jansen leaving) After Forever may as well be Epica with a different singer.

I don't know... I think Epica's The Divine Conspiracy pretty much buries everything After Forever ever did. Even older AF doesn't compare to TDC, which was a pretty big leap IMO.

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #23 of 55
Uh...a Sirenia song popped up on my iPod player today, and it's not female fronted, sorry for the misinformation. Someone might want to perform due diligence on my list and double-check some of those.

Yeah, Garbage and Curve definitely don't fall in this category, I was just mentioning them to give an idea as to my musical tastes.

I much prefer Epica to After Forever, wasn't even aware of the connection.

And I'll second wfranklin's seconding of my recommendation for the Gathering -- one of my favorites. I can't stress that enough, although not everything they did is entirely metal (How to Measure a Planet? and Home come to mind) -- they're sort of at that halfway point. If it must be metal, then start with Mandylion and Nighttime Birds, skip to If_Then_Else and then fill out the gaps if you're still liking what you're hearing. That said, How to Measure a Planet? is my favorite -- it doesn't have to be metal for me.

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #28 of 55
Antonamasia
After Forever (if it hasn't already been recommended)
Aghora (not really goth, more female-fronted prog metal)
Kingfisher Sky
To Mera (again, more prog than goth, but their newest album, Delusions, is fantastic)
Distorted
UnExpect (very much proggy/avante-garde, half male, half female, kind of weird, carnival atmosphere, brilliant)

That's all I can think of for now.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #29 of 55
A lot of bands mentioned in the thread (outside folks like Siouxsie and Lydia Lunch) aren't really goth bands. Most of the stuff mentioned so far as I can tell is mostly Gothic Metal.

Anyways, if you're still interested good female fronted Goth bands include bands like:

45 Grave
Skeletal Family
Ghost Dance
Xmal Deutschland
Bone Orchard

Then you have individual singers that have been in Goth bands and have a bit of their own solo material or are not, strictly speaking, Goth acts, but are listened to by folks who listen to goth music.

Diamanda Galás
Gitane Demone
Eva O
Danielle Dax
Lene Lovich
Cocteau Twins

Then there are bands with both male and female vocals that may or may not be goth bands but are also listened to by goths:

Swans
Faith and the Muse
Shadow Project
Dead Can Dance
Mephisto Waltz

That should start you on the right path. OP, let me know if you need more.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #30 of 55
The Sins of Thy Beloved
Angtoria

Users who are viewing this thread

Back