Female-fronted goth bands - suggestions?
Jun 25, 2009 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

moogoob

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all, just looking for more music of this type, as I've been really getting into gothic rock recently. Something along the lines of Siouxie and the Banshees, Switchblade Symphony, etc. Rock, Metal, Darkwave and so on are all acceptable.

So, any suggestions apart from the above?

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 55
I just started listening to Lacuna Coil and they are categorized as goth, so you might take a listen. I'm still undecided but I keep listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 55
marilyn-manson-mechanical-animals.jpg

Close enough.

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 55
They may be closer to metal than rock but have you checked out Otep? I'm not a big fan of them personally but somebody I work with listens to them and they sound like they might fit the bill.

Jun 27, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiantan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Otep is not goth, they are more like metal/metal-rap/core/poetry stuff. OP, check ur PM.

Yeah, it was the poetry sounding stuff that kinda made me think they might fit, but this goth rock stuff is sounding a bit different that I though it would. Wiki has them classified as "nu-metal", and ugh. I gave it a shot I guess.
frown.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, just looking for more music of this type, as I've been really getting into gothic rock recently. Something along the lines of Siouxie and the Banshees, Switchblade Symphony, etc. Rock, Metal, Darkwave and so on are all acceptable.

So, any suggestions apart from the above?

First for darkwave I have to say how much I love Switchblade Symphony - Serpentine Gallery album........I have seen them live in small clubs in USA, divine creatures of the night

The absolute pinnacle of gothic metal is Vibeke Stene with Tristania, first two albums are essential foundation of any gothic metal collection.

41a1ECqxzDL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
215JMGXZ08L._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Jun 27, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 55
I recently got into female-fronted metal myself. Check out Lacuna Coil, Epica, Nightwish, and Birthday Massacre. You might also like Visions of Atlantis.

And for the record, these might not be considered "goth" but they're just my recommendations. I'm not good at discerning between different sub-genres etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardwired /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just started listening to Lacuna Coil and they are categorized as goth, so you might take a listen. I'm still undecided but I keep listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am a Lacuna Coil fan, I don't know why I didn't mention them before. I just hope for your sake you didn't start with their most recent album. I suggest Comalies, their self-titled EP ("Lacuna Coil") and Unleashed Memories for a good introduction to LC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
marilyn-manson-mechanical-animals.jpg

Close enough.

Ha!
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiantan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP, check ur PM.

I did- very interesting link. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First for darkwave I have to say how much I love Switchblade Symphony - Serpentine Gallery album........I have seen them live in small clubs in USA, divine creatures of the night

The absolute pinnacle of gothic metal is Vibeke Stene with Tristania, first two albums are essential foundation of any gothic metal collection.

Serpentine Gallery is fantastic. I found a copy used - it's also my example album I use to show people what music that isn't mastered hot sounds like.
biggrin.gif

I'll have to get more Tristania, then. I have Illumination, and I like it so far so... that settles that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently got into female-fronted metal myself. Check out Lacuna Coil, Epica, Nightwish, and Birthday Massacre. You might also like Visions of Atlantis.

And for the record, these might not be considered "goth" but they're just my recommendations. I'm not good at discerning between different sub-genres etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

LC and Epica are already in my collection, and I consider Nightwish one of my favourite bands, period.
smily_headphones1.gif
Birthday Massacre and Visions of Atlantis I'll have to check out.

Thanks all for your suggestions and entertaining responses.
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

41a1ECqxzDL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
215JMGXZ08L._SL160_AA115_.jpg

In addition the 3rd Tristania album is nearly as great, some Theatre of Tragedy would also be nice addition......

41XWZAA47PL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
4161M3PCMFL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #15 of 55
The Creatures, which is Siouxsie Sue's other band. BTW, Goth is not a certain sound it is any music that is dark and deep. Goth's listen to everything from Dead Can Dance to The Cure to Mozart's Requiem. It's the theme that makes Goth music and not a specific style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back