Fellow Audiophiles: sound quality comparisons
Jul 14, 2007 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

arkd85

New Head-Fier
I know that this topic has been touched upon 1001 times but I really wanted to devote a post just for this.

I wanna know, based strictly on sound quality, which mp3 player do you perfer? I really liked some old Irivers and cowon U2, but having recently been disapointed with the D2, wanna know what else is good out there????

THere is all this talk about the chips that the companies use. How do they relate to the sound quality of the unit.

Thatk u very much for ur suggestions.

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 33
the simplicity and great SQ of the ipod shuffle 1st Gen. All for 39 bucks delivered.

Frank

Jul 14, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised at your question. Sort of like asking who is the sexiest 95-year- old. MP3 and high fidelity are mutually exclusive.

I disagree. As has been debated several times on this forum and others across the internet, high-bitrate MP3s are generally considered "high fidelity" in terms of what you hear although, technically, they aren't as true to the source material as lossless.

As far as the OPs original question, I would highly recommend the Kenwood range of DAPs, particularly the Hd10GB7 and HD30GB9. In terms of audio quality, these decisively demolish all other amp-less setups I've heard including the Cowon X5, Rockbox'd Iriver H120, Zune, IPod and Trekstor Vibez.

El duderino

Jul 14, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 33
boy they sure are pricy who sells them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Duderino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. As has been debated several times on this forum and others across the internet, high-bitrate MP3s are generally considered "high fidelity" in terms of what you hear although, technically, they aren't as true to the source material as lossless.

As far as the OPs original question, I would highly recommend the Kenwood range of DAPs, particularly the Hd10GB7 and HD30GB9. In terms of audio quality, these decisively demolish all other amp-less setups I've heard including the Cowon X5, Rockbox'd Iriver H120, Zune, IPod and Trekstor Vibez.

El duderino

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by fc911c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
boy they sure are pricy who sells them?

They are not thaaaaaaaaaat pricy. Hd10GB7 can be found for around 250 I guess on warehouse123.com. I c that Kenwood players are one step above ampless dap setups and one setup down from setup with amp or Dac. a full fledge amp setup will cost you around a grand or so, but for 250-500 range .. I think they are mid range.

Jul 15, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 33
thanks, but I was comparing them to other players, I seen prices at 400-500. To me that's pricey for an mp3 player.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are not thaaaaaaaaaat pricy. Hd10GB7 can be found for around 250 I guess on warehouse123.com. I c that Kenwood players are one step above ampless dap setups and one setup down from setup with amp or Dac. a full fledge amp setup will cost you around a grand or so, but for 250-500 range .. I think they are mid range.

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 33
I wonder how sonically different the HD10 is to its more expensive brother..

EDIT: Actually, the HD20GA7 is $269 at Warehouse123. Very good deal indeed.

Jul 15, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 33
Would the extra dollars you spend on a kenwood instead of a zune/ipod make more significant difference than when you would spend the difference on just better phones or maybe an amp?
After heavy consideration of the kenwood, I finally decided that I would take an Ipod instead, because I doubt the difference the kenwood would make would be justifing the high price and lack of warranty in Europe.

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenBrouwer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the extra dollars you spend on a kenwood instead of a zune/ipod make more significant difference than when you would spend the difference on just better phones or maybe an amp?

I think so, yes. I think the source is key: A good source w/ mediocre cans sounds better than a mediocre source with good cans in my experience.

I gave up my Zune for my Kenwood and it was worth every penny, no regrets.

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #13 of 33
I've inquired about the differences between the HD20GA7 ($269) & the HD10GB7 ($300+) and Antony was kind enough to link me here.

Basically the more expensive alternative (GB7: 10GB: $300+), has more soundstage and better EQ options.

Also, when amping them, more volume is needed to reduce the hiss since the hisses are inversely proportional to the volume of the player.

The HD20 is looking more lucrative indeed.

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think so, yes. I think the source is key: A good source w/ mediocre cans sounds better than a mediocre source with good cans in my experience.

I gave up my Zune for my Kenwood and it was worth every penny, no regrets.

Are your atrios sensitive to hiss?

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are your atrios sensitive to hiss?

No hiss whatsoever at any volume.

The same is true with Shure E3C, and all Grados between SR60 and RS1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back