Fell in love with BD 770
Mar 13, 2009 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mcspectre

Head-Fier
Decided to post my thoughts and appreciation on the beyerdynamic DT 770 / 80 because i had a hard time deciding what headphones to buy and i just wanna share my new found love for these 'phones...

So i was looking for a pair of closed headphones that i could use to listen at home that had that same fun feel of the senn px100. Just FYI i mostly listen to px100s which i love and when i'm on the go my atrio m5 v2 which i love with a passion! So i was looking for a real headphone for home use and that i could pair nicely with my Rockhopper Mini^3. I was looking at Ultrasone 750s, A700s and the BD 770. I felt that the Beyers were best matched for my likes since i heard they had an enormous amount of bass so i bought those off the FS/FT forums...and OMG am i impressed!

When i first put on the Beyers to tell you the truth i wasn't all too impressed and didn't really find them to be a big upgrade for the px100s but i was pleasantly surprised that my ipod could drive them quite nicely. Finally after putting them through their paces, these phones are really a nice upgrade from the px100 especially when amped. I find that these phones really emerge you into the music...the bass is crazy deep and the percussions just blow me away. When listening to Artic Monkeys i really feel their live, raw feel, the drums and the bass are just kicking my ears in the ass and i love it!!!

The problem at first was that if your music isn't well encoded or too compressed, the DT 770s will let you know very quickly but as soon as you get some good quality files these phones really shine. AND THEN if you amp them they will really blow you away. I find that they share a similar sound signature to the PX100s but the DT 770s are way more refined. They really bring out all the details in the music and female vocals especially i found to be more crips than with the senns, and noticeably too. The bass when amped is WAY more controlled and the drums have a more visceral impact. Listening to Nirvana unplugged these phones give the acoustic bass such a full sound, its hard to describe, but its like BUTTAH!!!! But the mids, especially on acoustic recordings are really recessed but if you're more into the drums and bass i dont think you will mind a bit.

Bottom line, i know this post is a little all over the place, but if you are looking for a headphone that kinda replicates the live music sound (and feel) i really think these are the phones for you and for the price (especially used) these are bang for your buck unbelievable. If you are thinking of getting these, JUST DO IT, especially if you're into the Atrio sound because they give you all the same advantages of the Atrio m5 and all the things you wish they had (more clarity and detail in the upper range)....DO IT

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 3
I love mine as well, as of this week I've been fortunate enough to enjoy my first tube amp...albeit the 770's improved greatly..seeing you like the beyer sound, if you get a chance try to audition some DT 150's...I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. Very glad you found the 770/80 to your liking!

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 3
I agree. These are a great value imo.

They are not what I'd consider a "great" headphone because the bass is so thick and they are prone to sibilance. But I was really pleased with the soundstage. I was afraid they'd sound really "canned", but I think they do a passable job of creating the illusion of space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back