Feliks Audio Espressivo / Espressivo MKII OTL Tube Amp Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #166 of 232
@tracyca I initially started with a Pre Box S2 Digital (which worked fine, albeit, you cannot turn it 'off'), and then moved to a Metrum Onyx. Two different types of DACs: Delta Sigma vs Ladder. I found the Metrum to be more.... hate to use the word: holographic and open. That does not mean that what I heard from the S2 was pinched, it just sounded better to me on the Metrum. Could also have been that the S2 was stopgap for me because I really wanted to the ladder in the first place and I swapped the S2 as soon as I got my ladder and didn't give the S2 enough time to burn in...

I also just ordered a Denafrips Ares to use at work with a WooAudio amp. Of course I will plug that into my Feliks at home for giggles...

BTW: I'm doing some A/B testing with the 6H30P and 6N6P power tubes. I also ordered a pair of 6N6P-IR from Ukraine to see how those roll

Apr 15, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #168 of 232
@lentoviolento that is good to know! I fretted over the DAC - went back and forth between Areas and the Pontus. Figured that since it was for work to just stick with Ares *but* test at home as well. I figure if I see a difference between the lowest level Denafrips and a mid-level Metrum, then maybe a Pontus or a Venus for later...

I'm using ZMF cans: Auteurs at home and waiting for Atticus for work

Apr 16, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #170 of 232
Apr 16, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #172 of 232
At the end which otl are you going to get?
Not completely sure yet, but it is between the Espressivo II, or Decware CSP 3, at the max of budget or the less expensive Woo Wa3, and Bottlehead Crack. I am leaning towards the Feliks, but still doing some research.

Apr 16, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #173 of 232
@Wes S I love my Espressivo - and heavily invested in 6922 tubes, so I see where you are going with the Decware and WA3! I also have a WA3 on order. That Decware kept turning my head tho...

The Espressivo II was a real deal when I got it. At the time, Feliks did not have any dealers in the US and you could order direct *and* take advantage of the 20% off due to the VAT. Too bad that ain't so anymore...

Apr 17, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #174 of 232
Having a play with the Ares and Espressivo II. Hiccup was that the right 'out' post was incredibly tight, but Alvin over at Vinshine answered immediately: just shove harder!

Initial sound impression is that it feels tight and muted vs my Metrum. Metrum prolly has 300+ hours, so: Burn-in time!

Other impressions: solid/weighty and much smaller than I expected! Lights are very subdued. Overall visual impression is that it is very aesthetically pleasing.

Having second thoughts on that WA3 now and it all has to do with their customer service. Ordered a 'black' and waited a few weeks. Got some apologies and run around with when it would ship. More waiting with more apologies with offer of express shipping if I go 'silver'. Decide to not wait any more and go for silver with expedited shipping (~2-3 days). Oh sorry, shipping messed up and sent it ground (~7 days) - here have 10% off your *next* purchase. Uh... *Next* purchase?

Prolly should have sucked it up and gone Decware...

Anyone have impressions on that Decware CSP 3?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #179 of 232
Ares burn-in has entered the 4th day - and everything is sounding closer to what I recall from my Metrum! I know that 'sound' can be subjective (I also have some tinnitus from some silly choices I made when I was younger), but what is your go-to track for being able to say: yep - I can definitely hear the separation and placement of x and y, etc...

I listen to mostly EDM and what I hear on the Ares is very good and close to the Metrum. Is it better/worse - I cannot definitively say yes or no because nothing is glaringly standing out. I guess you can say that an entry level Ares is holding its own against a mid-level Metrum, at least IMHO...

Apr 24, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #180 of 232
Update on power tubes: just got me some 6N6P-IR and it is a big NOPE. Horrible hum and everything sounded very thin and tinny. Back to the 6N6P! I think I have satisfied my curiosity about power tubes for the time being. I don't have the itch to shell out $600 for the 6H30-DR.

Still very impressed with the Ares. I think if I had gone Ares first then I would still be satisfied - but prolly curious about what a mid-level DAC would sound like... I guess you can't win.

My untrained ears say they are both very close - nothing really standing out - which means both pretty much rock IMHO.

Anyone else have any impressions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back