Feliks Audio ENVY
May 4, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #6,841 of 7,041
actually incredibly you got my comment 100% wrong...I was not pissed off that somebody might take a dislike to the envy,just the opposite..I was asking why anyone would care or be upset if somebody had a critical opinion of the envy with 1000 positive views out there etc...geez...my post was essentially asking why anyone would care and I was responding to people sounding concerned as if it mattered...oh well

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #6,842 of 7,041
I've got a problem with posting someone's preliminary thoughts before the full details are actually understood.

Aha. How is it a problem to post early impressions of someone with loads of experience with high end audio, explcitly marking it as a first impression lol

I think if there is a "problem", its the sending in a kit of used but not burned in tubes for review without mentioning it to the reviewer. But hey ;D

Other than that, I think its time to cool down. No harm done, to me its interesting to watch the review process and I am confident enough in my purchases to see someone whos opinion I value disliking the product, to me its much more of a question of why and what I can learn from it.

In other news chances are that Immanis will be paired with Envy next week on Munich high end. Would be even more wild if its the AE.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #6,843 of 7,041
May KTE is really beautiful! I think you’d have to go some to have a step up from this.

My current chain is Eversolo (streamer), May KTE (DAC), Envy PE (Amp with WE 300b and Mullard ECC33), Susvara.

Other tubes in the bag are:

Driver Tubes:
Brimar 6SN7GT Black Plate 1940s; Tung Sol 6sn7GTB: Mullard CV6 Orange & White print

To try/order: Melz, Sylvannia

Power Tubes:
Takatauki 300b

On order: Elrog TM, Wathan Cyro
I've been considering May KTE. Is it true that I will need external upsampling to get the best out of May?

May 4, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #6,844 of 7,041
Aha. How is it a problem to post early impressions of someone with loads of experience with high end audio, explcitly marking it as a first impression lol

I think if there is a "problem", its the sending in a kit of used but not burned in tubes for review without mentioning it to the reviewer. But hey ;D

Other than that, I think its time to cool down. No harm done, to me its interesting to watch the review process and I am confident enough in my purchases to see someone whos opinion I value disliking the product, to me its much more of a question of why and what I can learn from it.

In other news chances are that Immanis will be paired with Envy next week on Munich high end. Would be even more wild if its the AE.
It was the only Envy available to Koji. No one else offered.

He's got the amp for a month. We discussed privately if it turned out it wasn't fully burned in, he had plenty of time. So no, it's not a problem.

You posted two further impressions from what he's spoken about today. Both of which were inaccurate.

That aside, I'll step back on this. I'd like to think we're all reasonably friendly around here, so apologies if my arguments have inflamed things at all. We had a disagreement about some things, and that's fine.

:beerchug: (I don't drink, but hey...)

May 4, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #6,846 of 7,041
I've been considering May KTE. Is it true that I will need external upsampling to get the best out of May?

No you dont. May is incredible in NOS. Its smooth and organic. If you want to add more visceral punch for some genres or recordings you can use oversampling with HQplayer there are a lot of options to shape the sound, dozens of filters of rather knowledgeable people at this point. Saying that I use May in NOS 90% of the time, the smooth organic nature of it is next to none.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #6,847 of 7,041
actually incredibly you got my comment 100% wrong...I was not pissed off that somebody might take a dislike to the envy,just the opposite..I was asking why anyone would care or be upset if somebody had a critical opinion of the envy with 1000 positive views out there etc...geez...my post was essentially asking why anyone would care and I was responding to people sounding concerned as if it mattered...oh well
In that case, I'll trust that I've got the wrong end of the stick, and misinterpreted things.

I'm genuinely very sorry about that.

May 4, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #6,848 of 7,041
He's got the amp for a month. We discussed privately if it turned out it wasn't fully burned in, he had plenty of time. So no, it's not a problem.

He sounded rather surprised to me, that the tubes had only little use which devalued his initial impressions. It became more clear to couple of other people in the chat too, why his impressions been the way they been too after it was mentioned that the tubes are basically new. Personally I think it would be wiser to send in the stock tube combination and a collection of availible tubes for the reviewer to toy around, instead of preinstalling a very warm set of tubes too, since that can give a bit wrong initial impression of what the amp can and cant do.

Either way, as you say - there is no problem, I think things are more clear now and I am pretty sure Koji will know what to do and its great that you could send him a review unit in the first place and yep, we should move on :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #6,850 of 7,041
No you dont. May is incredible in NOS. Its smooth and organic. If you want to add more visceral punch for some genres or recordings you can use oversampling with HQplayer there are a lot of options to shape the sound, dozens of filters of rather knowledgeable people at this point. Saying that I use May in NOS 90% of the time, the smooth organic nature of it is next to none.
Thank you

May 4, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #6,851 of 7,041
That's the thing with tube amps. You are more reviewing the tubes (combo) than the amp itself, unless you actually have another amp to compare with the same set of tubes. Than it's a tube review not an amp review imo

May 4, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #6,852 of 7,041
I think that is very true, if I listened to a better amp with lesser tubes it will not reach its potential...when I got upgraded tubes for my envy I realized how terrific it was

May 4, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #6,853 of 7,041
The other thing to remember is that system synergy matters more than how much something costs. A $20K system that has synergy will sound better than a $100K system with no synergy.

One can use an $18K DAC that sounds great with one amp and sound terrible with another amp. A $3K DAC might be perfect with the latter amp.

Reviews are meant to give a wider audience some sense of how the item being reviewed might perform but there are always too many variables to take it as the law. We'll respected reviewers are given more credibility as they should, versus reviewers who are known to give glowing reviews due to promises made or ties to the company that manufactured the product.

May 5, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #6,855 of 7,041
I'm still really tempted by these tubes but one tube is missing the central stem.

I'm sure it's fine as it's just a plastic stem to assist mounting the tube correctly.

With that issue though and and still having a premium price makes me feel like its a bit of a con.

Who knows though, maybe the going rate for these is more like £800 (like the Melz).

Let's hope we get some more New Production 6SN7s made which can compete with the NOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back