Feliks Audio ENVY
Mar 16, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #5,836 of 7,132
Just looked up prices of DHTs.
I bought my Dave used for £5300. You and I aren't participating in the same sport but good luck to you.
I'm sure I'll try a May some time but to call the Dave awful seems a bit hyperbolic.

If your proposition was 'There are better things out there, but at what cost relative to what you can get a Dave for...' then this would be a different conversation.
Be nice to @paradoxper he's a passionate guy and one of the salty veterans around here.

And one can NEVER take comments on Head-Fi personally. It takes the fun out of it!

:k701smile:

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #5,837 of 7,132
If I could get you away from the awful DAVE, you would open up that third eye. Just need more space.
I am good with the dave but you sure have steered me in the right direction in terms of amps for which I am very thankful

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #5,838 of 7,132
If your proposition was 'There are better things out there, but at what cost relative to what you can get a Dave for...' then this would be a different conversation.
Yup!
I could buy a Vivaldi but the more toys I buy at this point are not bringing me any more joy. I'm good with the Dave and Envy.
@paradoxper put me onto the TM and I'm thrilled he did!!!

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #5,839 of 7,132
Be nice to @paradoxper he's a passionate guy and one of the salty veterans around here.

And one can NEVER take comments on Head-Fi personally. It takes the fun out of it!

I honestly haven't taken anything personally. Just trying to provide context for my opinions.
Nothing but good things to say about Paradoxper's expertise and advice to me personally around here since I joined here :)

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #5,840 of 7,132
Just looked up prices of DHTs.
I bought my Dave used for £5300. You and I aren't participating in the same sport but good luck to you.
I'm sure I'll try a May some time but to call the Dave awful seems a bit hyperbolic.

It's exactly why I mentioned the May as being more a downgrade. It was also in the context of DAVE + mods to elevate its stature.

The DAVE is flat out detailed and overly lit which brings on commissions that are deal-breakers which means it is awful regardless of the price structure.
If you could nab a used MSB Analog DAC that would be a closer comparable.

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #5,841 of 7,132

It's more of a Head-Fi problem than a me issue. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Mar 16, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #5,843 of 7,132
Mar 16, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #5,844 of 7,132
What would you suggest for something comparable?
I asked Goldensound about pairing Envy with a Holo May. I can't be bothered using hqplayer, so he suggested it might be a tad soft sounding without it. It's the only other day really on my radar.

And yeah, I'm not paying thousands for Dave power supplies and then another thousand for bnc cables to go with an Mscaler...etc etc

Will come down to tubes of your choice. May sounds beautiful with Envy in nos too. With Elrogs its anything but soft.

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #5,849 of 7,132
Well.............I do like detail so that may be why the Dave is for me.
Yes, I did spring for the SJ power supply in the past few months.
I would advise you listen to quite a few more DACs to gain a real reference. But as long as you are happy.

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #5,850 of 7,132
What would you suggest for something comparable?
I asked Goldensound about pairing Envy with a Holo May. I can't be bothered using hqplayer, so he suggested it might be a tad soft sounding without it. It's the only other day really on my radar.

And yeah, I'm not paying thousands for Dave power supplies and then another thousand for bnc cables to go with an Mscaler...etc etc
I'm getting Holo May KTE too for my upcoming Envy AE. Fingers crossed it'll be a good pairings because it's a blind buy 😂
Last time I try Rockna WaveDream Signature SE and Bartok Apex on Envy performance using Caldera and I prefer Rockna.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back