Feliks Audio ENVY
Jan 9, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #5,146 of 7,321
what about susvara vs diana tc on the envy. is the latter just as good. what are you hearing in terms of main differences; bass, i imagine but what else.
the susvara has a larger soundstage and is a more ethereal listen...it is a bit more distant than the abyss which is more aggressive and has a bit more prominence in the bass...I listened to an art pepper recording yesterday on the susvara out of the envy and the sax just floated in a truly mesmerizing way...the soundstage was just so open and so proper....then I listened to the abyss with the great rock album who's next and while not as wide it was more visceral than it is with the susvara...both are fantastic...for me the susvara is the choice for jazz and acoustic music with a sense of space...the abyss is the choice for more aggressive music like rock and electric blues...if I was forced to choose one I suppose it would be the susvara simply because it does a great job with everything...I listen to the susvara on high gain and the abyss on mid gain

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #5,147 of 7,321
Get a better power cable for the Envy, I got a better bass performance with a new power cable from Audioquest nrg z3
I am using a very good power cable and I agree it makes a difference

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #5,148 of 7,321
Thank you! Think it'd still be worth going through this place if I live in the US?
Good tube dealers are worth the extra cost and these are made in the UK so what better place to find the good ones! I've tried to save money and it has usually worked out. I have also received poor testing and noisy tubes that were worthless to use in the Envy by trying to go cheap!!! Good dealers will make it right or accept returns.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #5,149 of 7,321
Sweet, this is great to know. Where did you buy your CV1988 tubes, if you don't mind me asking, and, do they need an adapter (I'm new to tube rolling)? Thinking about getting these when I upgrade to some WE300b's myself sometime this year!
I just got my cv1988 from a seller here on headfi..I too am fairly new to tubes but did some research

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #5,150 of 7,321
Good tube dealers are worth the extra cost and these are made in the UK so what better place to find the good ones! I've tried to save money and it has usually worked out. I have also received poor testing and noisy tubes that were worthless to use in the Envy by trying to go cheap!!! Good dealers will make it right or accept returns.
Great points - thanks!

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #5,151 of 7,321
a couple of things have surprised me about tubes or at least high quality tubes in a TOTL tube amp...first off the soundstage...it is massive and the imaging is simply stunning...vocals are fantastic, in fact I found myself able to make out lyrics to songs in the past I couldnt decipher...the biggest surprise to me is the detail...I always assumed that solid state would be more detailed than tubes and perhaps it is in terms of testing etc but there is something about the way the music is presented with the tubes or at least in my setup that lends itself to great detail retrieval ..all in all a very positive experience for me and quite unexpected

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #5,153 of 7,321
Thank you! Think it'd still be worth going through this place if I live in the US?
You can get the same tube much cheaper, they are marked as shown, and are available on eBay. If I have it correct these are difficult to date, whereas the military marked tubes are easy to date. People do like the military marked tube’s though!

IMG_1520.jpeg

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #5,154 of 7,321
I'm in the US and use Tubes Unlimited in Houston, TX for NOS tubes. I have those same CV1988s. I'm not sure if he has more clear glass Brimar CV1988 tubes available but he has the black glass available and they are the same tubes from the UK. He has tubes available in matched pairs or matched and balanced. He will answer the phone and talk if you call and he's pretty responsive to emails.

http://www.nosvacuumtubes.net/

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #5,155 of 7,321
you keep learning and realizing new things in this crazy hobby...what has been reinforced to me with my brief time with my envy with the WE300b and now added CV1988 tubes is that it is impossible for people to really accurately describe the abilities of headphones if not using the same equipment...I never realized how huge the soundstage of the susvara could be....simply like a different headphone...deep and wide and just fabulous...the susvara seems to endlessly scale and that is why it is such a great HP
I’m in the market for a Envy by the end of this year. (I’m saving up money for that.) Your surprise and positive impressions motivate me. I'm looking forward to seeing Susvara's scaling ability for myself.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #5,156 of 7,321
out of curiosity, I know felks includes a tube guard with the performance version but does anyone know of a more protective tube cage for the envy?...I must say I am always worried about an accident and something damaging these expensive tubes

Jan 10, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #5,157 of 7,321
the one downside to ever improving HP's and associated components is exposing bad recordings...I hate to admit it but I do find myself gravitating to better recorded music as much as music I simply want to listen to..when we used to listen to music on ccrappy equipment in the past it didnt matter what we listened to but today at least for me it very much does...

Jan 10, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #5,159 of 7,321
nothing will do justice to crappy recordings...they are simply crappy lol

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #5,160 of 7,321
Yes indeed they just sound "even more crap" 😄

I found the Grimm sorted that out in my case. I don't know exactly what the magical de jittering is doing but the end result is that even crappy recordings become perfectly acceptable lovely recordings are still very impressive.

I created an awful playlist when I tested multiple DACs for this reason. Poor sounding tracks or those that just sound "messy".

An example was Never Ending Story by Limahl https://open.qobuz.com/track/1746525
😬 It sounds like its been mixed by someone for a school project. Or someone who's been bought a "DJ Mixing set" for £35 / $40 so they can be the life of the party

Users who are viewing this thread

Back