Feliks Audio ENVY
Apr 2, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #2,896 of 6,869
Those 6J5+6J5 adapters are so incongruous with the beautiful wood surfaces of Envy 😳. EDIT: what about adapters by @Deyan ?
Definitely nicer in black!

41B4371C-0A5C-45CC-AFE7-46C318EF8E8A.jpeg

Apr 3, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #2,897 of 6,869
Got the Brimar CV1988 in the house now and they've had a few hours. They are also fabulous tubes.

My descriptions of sound signatures leaves a lot to be desired so I'll keep it simple.

Plenty of detail and bass but with that lovely Brimar warmth; very much like the Quad Brimar.

The Quad Brimar 6J5G is still my favourite. I don't know how they manage to sound so meaty, warm and highly detailed all at the same time. Sounds like it should be contradictory.

That background hum on the quads does bother me though. These are pretty close to that quad to be a very good alternative and are dead silent.

I may try some more adapters for the quads but enjoying these quite a lot.
This is with the Mrs X adapters? Did you ever try them with the Deyan's? See if the hum goes away. Mine are silent but had some hum with Mrs X.

Apr 3, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #2,898 of 6,869
So the 300B souds warm if I want want more detail an clarity I should go with Elrog what’s the different of ER and MO? So confused :) why feliks audio didn’t go with Elrog in the beginning to get the best out of it the Headphone i am using are the Susvara, i ordert the performance edition of the Envy. Thr Elrog Tubes are another 2.5k€ if I am not wrong.
Get the MOs. They are better all around.

Apr 3, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #2,899 of 6,869
This is with the Mrs X adapters? Did you ever try them with the Deyan's? See if the hum goes away. Mine are silent but had some hum with Mrs X.
Yeah I have hum with both so might be the tubes of course but they are very clean (pins etc.) and hardly make any noise as they warm up.

The hum is very very quiet.

Mrs X suggested I tighten the screws a bit so I have done that and will try it out later.
It's got the CV1988s in there at the moment as they are quite a similar signature.

I can't really complain there are so many great tubes I found thanks to you guys (and during my trip down the rabbit hole).

Apr 3, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #2,900 of 6,869
Get the MOs. They are better all around.
Yes I agree. The sound can still be tailored to be warm, highly detailed or whatever your preference is with the driver tubes.

Apr 3, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #2,901 of 6,869
Yeah I have hum with both so might be the tubes of course but they are very clean (pins etc.) and hardly make any noise as they warm up.

The hum is very very quiet.

Mrs X suggested I tighten the screws a bit so I have done that and will try it out later.
It's got the CV1988s in there at the moment as they are quite a similar signature.

I can't really complain there are so many great tubes I found thanks to you guys (and during my trip down the rabbit hole).
Can you get replacement from Langrex?

Apr 3, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #2,902 of 6,869
Potentially but it's hard to tell where the issue is as I believe both channels have the hum and of course each channel has two points of fault. I'll have another listen a bit later and double check that.

Apr 3, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #2,904 of 6,869
My pairs of GEC, Tung Sol VT-94-A, and Visseaux 6J5G, with Mrs X or Deyan adapters, are all quiet but my Brimars are not but it's is so faint that I'm fine with it.
Yeah it is pretty quiet so perhaps the same hum you experience. I can definitely live with it as you definitely can't hear it when music is playing amd they do sound fabulous.

Apr 3, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #2,905 of 6,869
I have ordered from Langrex quite a few times. On the two occasions where I asked for a replacement, Langrex was most gracious and speedy.

Apr 3, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #2,907 of 6,869
Yep they replaced my rattling tube with no fuss. Top seller!

Apr 3, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #2,910 of 6,869
Make sure you have a tube tester if buying from Langrex.
I have bought many times from Langrex and, for the most part, they tested strong. I find it useful to have test results with the tubes I purchase and I do test wherever I buy. I am a big fan of Langrex but including test results would be helpful.

When I buy from Tube World for example (yes, they are TOP $$$) I get accurate test results that correlate to my testers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back