Feliks Audio ENVY
Oct 23, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #901 of 7,003
Just wanted to share quickly my experience with Envy and Susvaras. Long story short: I could not find any track nor album that would sound bad or would missing something. The only exception (rather due to an amp and how the track has been mastered since I have been listening to it with different set of cans including Focal Clear MG, Meze Empyrean and HiFiMAN HE-R10P) is a Pearl Jam Getaway which on most amps is always messing a bit of dynamics and speed for me.

Overall this was a brilliant experience and something every Envy fan should try. With proper dac in chain this easily could be an endgame. Acme tubes were used instead of stock ones from Feliks Audio.

Oct 23, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #902 of 7,003
Can you keep us updated on how long it took your buddies to get replacements?
EML also has a 5 year guarantee, but it takes them like 10 months to send replacements which makes the warranty worthless in most cases
Great company slogan
Screenshot_20221023-142145~2.png

Oct 24, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #903 of 7,003
Susvara😍 but also as a preamp into AHB2 and Joseph Audio Pulsar 2 speakers, it’s magical
This is my plan as well. Envy seems perfect as it can power Susvara or easier to drive headphones but you can still use as preamp/ I used to own the AHB2 and plan to get it again.

Oct 24, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #904 of 7,003
One warning for those who want this for their desktop set up: This thing runs hot! I use this as a preamp as well and it is basically on all day. But I have it next to my computer screen, something like 60-80 cm away from my face, but I can feel one side of my face heating up. The hot summer is not helping but I am thinking of putting it further away from me, even if that means that the volume button will be quite far away.
Hmmm ... even at 80cm away ... yeah thats one of the downsides ... hehe

Oct 24, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #906 of 7,003
If one owns the Envy, is a solid state amp needed? Does one still get good bass articulation, punch/slam with Envy solo? Any benefits by adding a SS AMP and use the Envy as pre? I rather have less boxes and use the Envy solo. Just thought I would ask. Thanks.

Oct 24, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #907 of 7,003
If you have hard to drive planars, I find powerful solid states to have better ultimate performance on the dynamics front than tube amps. Non of the TOTL tube amps I tried (WA33EE JPS, AIC-10, Nirvana, Manley) can match the CFA3 for control, impact, and dynamics.

I am an advocate for preamping solid state by a tube pre for the best of both world performances and it's what I've been experimenting with for the last year. When you introduce a preamp it will do 1 of 4 things to your chain:
1. A low performance tube pre will deteriorate SQ
2. A truly "transparent" pre will act as a cable and will be pointless if you can control volume through your amp
3. Change the sound, not for better or worse, just different
4. Improve the sound - this is what you want to shoot for

Some items to keep in mind though, tube headamps with a pre-out functionality does not necessarily perform well as a linestage preamp. e.g. the WA33 doesn't improve the sound too much, but gives it a different flavour where as the much cheaper Manley Neo improves the sound noticeably. System synergy is extremely important and it's probably the most time consuming part of the process, finding the right combination of amp to pre-amp that will optimize performance. If you want to add a tube pre, my recommendation is to find a dedicated tube preamp from a manufacturer that specializes in preamp, rather than using a headphone amp with pre-amp capability. Some brands to explore are Audio Research, VAC, Manley, Primaluna, BAT, there's a ton...

To answer your question, is adding a SS to Envy beneficial, my answer would be it's likely to fall into category of changing the sound, not for better or worse, just different. You will likely introduce 300b characteristics into your chain but whether you like it or not is another matter, you will have to play around with it. However, since you rather have less boxes I'd just stick to the Envy solo, you will still get excellent bass/dynamics; if you already have a SS, just get another pair of interconnect and experiment.

Oct 24, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #909 of 7,003
Just get Elrog ER or Elrog Mo as 300B for Envy, and worry not about bass. Ever.

Perhaps Susvara and Abyss owners would comment further on this, but I have all that I’d ever want.
Yes, please would love to hear from the Susvara owners personally. Also any comparison to SS options would be nice to hear. For example, Envy with Elrog Mo vs Ferrum stack to power the Susvara. Thanks.

Oct 24, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #911 of 7,003
Sucks folks outside of Europe need to pay a higher premium for the Envy. Upscale Audio sells them for $1400 over MSRP for USA. I guess due to customs, duties, overseas shipping etc? Also, they are not taking custom wood orders.

I may have my buddy from France buy a custom wood, performance 120v version of the Envy and ship it out to me. With the low Euro I can save some money and get a unique wood as well.

Anyone able to get a dealer price on the Envy or does Upscale control the price? Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #912 of 7,003
I serve you.
Follow your listening preference:

WE 300B is the traditional standard: warm and rich. Also rolled and bloated.
Elrogs is the new standard. Superior simply with layering, depth, weight, punch.
The Mo is more forward and further dynamic with better extension at both ends.

My preference matches Mo with warmer spectrums: Susvara, Valkyria, LCD-4, Solitaire, D8K, etc
I match the ER with neutral bright spectrums: RAAL, 1266, LCD-5, Utopia, etc.

Ask @ColSaulTigh @DJJEZ @JTbbb and follow us in the 300B thread
Mo is more forward? Does this mean the mid range is more forward or sounds a bit more aggressive?

I actually want my Susvara/Atrium to be warmer but dont want bloated bass. I will probably go with normal Elrogs.

Oct 24, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #913 of 7,003
If one owns the Envy, is a solid state amp needed? Does one still get good bass articulation, punch/slam with Envy solo? Any benefits by adding a SS AMP and use the Envy as pre? I rather have less boxes and use the Envy solo. Just thought I would ask. Thanks.
It’s not necessary, it depends on your needs. If you have 95db sensitive speakers you could easily plug them in the 6.3m jack and run them very well. I use an AHB2 because it’s the most transparent and powerful enough amp that I can afford and that can run my inefficient bookshelf speakers. It doesn’t add anything to the sound (imo). Headphones go directly in the envy

Oct 24, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #914 of 7,003
Anyone able to compare Susvara's on the Ferrum stack vs Envy with stock, performance or Elrog tubes? Thanks.

Oct 24, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #915 of 7,003
Mo is more forward? Does this mean the mid range is more forward or sounds a bit more aggressive?

I actually want my Susvara/Atrium to be warmer but dont want bloated bass. I will probably go with normal Elrogs.
Both more than WE with Mo leading edges and attack are extremely crisp and more weighted.

Susvara will pair better with Mo as it provides better substance of body particularly through the treble range.
It should be clear, picking minutiae, both Elrog present zero bloat providing simply better extension top to bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back