Feliks Audio ENVY
Jul 27, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #526 of 7,322
Actually I do think that you can replace both with the Envy, but then you need 2 pairs of tubes.

1x Western Electric (or similar euphonic tubes)
1x Elrog Molybdenum (or other super linear and detailed tubes)

This should Cover both needs.
Any thoughts yet on 6SN7 tube options for Envy yet? On Euforia AE, I've liked ГУ50 and KTxx, with adapters and external power. I don't have a big box of 6SN7 tubes to roll in. Also, sadly, the great guy to whom i just sold Euforia AE did not want the new Envy PSVane tubes, but my already used ones. Clearly a smart man :)

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #527 of 7,322
Any thoughts yet on 6SN7 tube options for Envy yet? On Euforia AE, I've liked ГУ50 and KTxx, with adapters and external power. I don't have a big box of 6SN7 tubes to roll in. Also, sadly, the great guy to whom i just sold Euforia AE did not want the new Envy PSVane tubes, but my already used ones. Clearly a smart man :)
I unfortunately don't know much about 6SN7 tubes.

Waiting for someone crazy enough to test the KTxx with adapters in the Envy...

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #529 of 7,322
Jul 27, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #530 of 7,322
Your sacrifice will be welcome.

However remember, it is unlikely to work and the risk is high!
Why is it unlikely to work? Exceeds total current draw limit or some other reason?

Jul 27, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #531 of 7,322
Why is it unlikely to work? Exceeds total current draw limit or some other reason?
We do not know the current draw limit of the Envy but a KT88 draws 1.6A while a 6SN7 only 0.6A

The Elise and Euforia just had a setup where the 6n13S draws 2.5A and the 6SN7 0.6 which is roughly the same as KT88 with 1.6A in both slots.

Jul 27, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #532 of 7,322
We do not know the current draw limit of the Envy but a KT88 draws 1.6A while a 6SN7 only 0.6A

The Elise and Euforia just had a setup where the 6n13S draws 2.5A and the 6SN7 0.6 which is roughly the same as KT88 with 1.6A in both slots.
Understood, that makes perfect sense. Thank you for clarifying.

Jul 27, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #533 of 7,322
I could care less about current draw restrictions, as I have external heater current (up to 20A total) 6SN7 adapters/power supply from @Deyan.

Lots of people have done this for years on Elise and the Euforias.

Less predictable is whether the output of the KTxx is somehow incompatable with the 300B, but since they are basically behaving as 6SN7s in the prior context through adapters, I doubt that there would be much issue. But I am not an engineer.

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #534 of 7,322
I could care less about current draw restrictions, as I have external heater current (up to 20A total) 6SN7 adapters/power supply from @Deyan.

Lots of people have done this for years on Elise and the Euforias.

Less predictable is whether the output of the KTxx is somehow incompatable with the 300B, but since they are basically behaving as 6SN7s in the prior context through adapters, I doubt that there would be much issue. But I am not an engineer.
Are they behaving as 6SN7s because in the adapters they are triode strapped?

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #535 of 7,322
I have Melz 1578's that arrived today and Elrogs scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Using the stock EH 300B I have tried 1960's RCA and Sylvania's as well as1940's Raytheons and TSRP 6SN7. The Raytheons are tops so far and the TSRP were disappointing for such a super hyped tube.

I am expecting to hear a nice step up tomorrow with the addition of the Elrogs.

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #537 of 7,322
Actually I do think that you can replace both with the Envy, but then you need 2 pairs of tubes.

1x Western Electric (or similar euphonic tubes)
1x Elrog Molybdenum (or other super linear and detailed tubes)

This should Cover both needs.

I'm not a measurement snob by ANY means, but I do like to look at them and use them to try and and get a sense for sound signature. That being said, I feel like this would be a perfect situation for measurements. It'd be killer to see how the Envy measures relative to other tube amps and especially the differences between different 300B tubes. That'd be very cool!

Jul 28, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #538 of 7,322
I have Melz 1578's that arrived today and Elrogs scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Using the stock EH 300B I have tried 1960's RCA and Sylvania's as well as1940's Raytheons and TSRP 6SN7. The Raytheons are tops so far and the TSRP were disappointing for such a super hyped tube.

I am expecting to hear a nice step up tomorrow with the addition of the Elrogs.
Don't be surprised if you're Melz take a little time to settle down. My first pair of NOS took about 3 hours just to stop crackling as they burned in. They're fine now, but it was like listening to popcorn for the first night I used them.

Jul 31, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #540 of 7,322
One warning for those who want this for their desktop set up: This thing runs hot! I use this as a preamp as well and it is basically on all day. But I have it next to my computer screen, something like 60-80 cm away from my face, but I can feel one side of my face heating up. The hot summer is not helping but I am thinking of putting it further away from me, even if that means that the volume button will be quite far away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back