Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Jun 3, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #13,561 of 13,846
I have just taken delivery of a new 2021 Elise and will be using it as a preamp as well as a headphone amp. Of course a lot depends on the speakers you are hoping to drive and the style of music you prefer, but I have found that a good combination for a tube preamp in general is to use a Class D power amp. I find the combination of the power, transparency and accuracy of Class D driving the speakers, coupled with the euphonics and musicality of tubes to be a winning combination.

I have my Elise hooked-up to an XTZ Edge A2-300 power amp which is a decent budget Class D amp using a B&O Ice Power module and is doing a fine job.

Using the Elise as a preamp is by no means an afterthought compared with its excellent headphone capabilities as it makes a fabulous pre.
superb, thank you very much for your reply. The A2- 300 looks interesting. Cheers!

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #13,562 of 13,846
Congrats to @Deceneu808 and @Karlsushi on receiving the update Elise 2021. Can you comment on what changes / upgrades it brings over 2019 model?

Thanks and looking forward to your impressions!

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #13,563 of 13,846
Congrats to @Deceneu808 and @Karlsushi on receiving the update Elise 2021. Can you comment on what changes / upgrades it brings over 2019 model?

Thanks and looking forward to your impressions!
Other than what Lukasz from Feliks told me regarding some internal changes I can't really speak about comparing it to the old one. I haven't had the chance to listen to the 2020 pre revision. As far as looks go they seem to be identical. I imagine they sound more or less the same. I do think though they need to update the power specs on this thing as I feel it puts out way more than the specified 200mw. I tested high impedance cans 300Ohm and 600Ohm with the ADI-DAC set to -12db and 10-11 o clock it gets really loud so plenty of power to play with. Dynamics are great. I absolutely love the way this amplifier presents sound. It's like cooking something yourself and actually nailing the recipe versus ordering from a restaurant. It's a very special amp this one. I will do some tube rolling in the coming weeks and note down some more impressions as well as comparing it to my old DV which is out of order right now so I hope my memory is still intact.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #13,564 of 13,846
I only ever had the previous version on a week long home loan. I sent it back, in part due to practical reasons, but also because it was right at the beginning of my first dabble into tube amplification and was drawn in by suggestions that an OTL amp wouldn't drive my LCD2's properly.

Well, after around 7 months of researching alternatives, during which time all I could think about was the Elise sound when listening to other amps, I have come right back to where I started.

From what I remember of the Elise I demo'd last October, I am hearing all of the things within the sound that I enjoyed back then, so my instinct is that, if there are any audible changes to the 2021 version, they are very small.

The closest any amp came during my research was the World Audio Designs HD3S which at half the price is an excellent amp, also more than capable of driving the LCD2's, but where the Elise has the edge is a greater sense of air and space and an irresistible euphonic sound.

I am using 6080 tubes instead of the stock power tubes, primarily for practical reasons (so it fits inside my shelving unit), but they sound very similar in character to how I remember it with the stock tubes.

Currently using some General Electric 6080's but have some 6080 Mullards on the way too as an alternative. I'm not big into tube rolling, but the option is certainly there with the Elise it seems.

For now, I'm just enjoying the music :o2smile:

Jun 4, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #13,565 of 13,846
I do think though they need to update the power specs on this thing as I feel it puts out way more than the specified 200mw. I tested high impedance cans 300Ohm and 600Ohm with the ADI-DAC set to -12db and 10-11 o clock it gets really loud so plenty of power to play with
I agree with the point, but as I'm sure others will point out, the way an amp controls your cans has as much to do with current as it does with power. Feliks don't supply a current rating but I expect this would go some way to explain why it feels more 'powerful' than the power rating suggests. One thing that tubes are great at is providing current (and is why I firmly believe OTL amps are perfectly well suited to planars, contrary to popular belief).

Another explanation for the 'loudness' at relatively low volume position is presumably also the reasonably high gain that the Elise has (20dB). The sensitivity of your cans also plays a part almost as much as impedance does.

Going back to the 2021 model changes though, I purchased mine from the only authorised UK supplier (The Audiobarn - a great shop with great service I might add) and on their website it states:

"Main changes will be new transformer, significantly improve thermal capacity & cooling (good for these tube rollers) and redesigned internal shielding to better protect from interferences. Looks wise – no change hence previous pictures will apply".

Reading between the lines, the only thing there that has any potential to affect the sound seems to be the use of a new transformer, but since the transformers are just for the power supply on the Elise (as oppose to on the output), that is unlikely to majorly change the sound I would think.

So I think the 2021 version is just some tweaking to what I think most will agree, is already a winning formula. I for one am glad it hasn't changed too much, because the sound I heard last October on the previous model is precisely why I bought it!

Jun 25, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #13,566 of 13,846
I have a ZMF Verite Closed I'd like to try on a Feliks amp. The closest audio store I know of in my area is Upscale Audio, but they currently do not have any weekend accommodations for demos. I'm only free on the weekends to travel to an audio store. I understand if anyone reading this would be against this I idea I'm going to propose, but I'm asking if anyone in the LA/Orange/Riverside/San Bernardino counties would allow me to try a Feliks amp in exchange for listening time with a ZMF VC. I can provide a timestamp with my VC to prove I'm serious. Please PM if interested.

Alternatively, if anyone knows if there's an audio store in the aforementioned counties besides Upscale Audio that has a tube amp for demo, please let me know.

Jun 25, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #13,567 of 13,846
I have a ZMF Verite Closed I'd like to try on a Feliks amp. The closest audio store I know of in my area is Upscale Audio, but they currently do not have any weekend accommodations for demos. I'm only free on the weekends to travel to an audio store. I understand if anyone reading this would be against this I idea I'm going to propose, but I'm asking if anyone in the LA/Orange/Riverside/San Bernardino counties would allow me to try a Feliks amp in exchange for listening time with a ZMF VC. I can provide a timestamp with my VC to prove I'm serious. Please PM if interested.

Alternatively, if anyone knows if there's an audio store in the aforementioned counties besides Upscale Audio that has a tube amp for demo, please let me know.
would love to see what you think of the VC Elise combo, for me the VC sounds better on solid state than any of my otl tube amps, and sry I don't live in the states so can't help but good luck

Jun 25, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #13,568 of 13,846
would love to see what you think of the VC Elise combo, for me the VC sounds better on solid state than any of my otl tube amps, and sry I don't live in the states so can't help but good luck
All good. Thanks for the reply. I’d be happy to share impressions once I get listening time on a Feliks amp. I’m also looking to try it out on a Primaluna which is probably more difficult to come by.

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #13,569 of 13,846
All good. Thanks for the reply. I’d be happy to share impressions once I get listening time on a Feliks amp. I’m also looking to try it out on a Primaluna which is probably more difficult to come by.
In several months, Canjam SoCal may afford you the opportunity to hear both FA and PrimaLuna if Upscale attends. I bought my Elise from Upscale at canjam, and there was a show discount, I've been enjoying Elise / Auteur greatly ever since!

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #13,570 of 13,846
In several months, Canjam SoCal may afford you the opportunity to hear both FA and primaLuna if Upscale attends. I bought my Elise from Upscale at canjam, and there was a show discount, I've been enjoying Elise / Auteur greatly ever since!
Already plan on going :wink:

Jul 15, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #13,572 of 13,846
I've seen they updated the website, but also the price, as expected, and they removed the option to buy it without tubes.

1626346046963.png

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #13,574 of 13,846
Something old, something new. Makes my music sound so true.

Ken-Rad VT 231 & Gold Lion KT-88 in Elise (7-23-21).jpg

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #13,575 of 13,846
Something old, something new. Makes my music sound so true.

Ken-Rad VT 231 & Gold Lion KT-88 in Elise (7-23-21).jpg
Excellent set of tubes boss. I am running the exact same setup. Love my GL kt88 with deyans adapters. Are those KR VT-231? IF so, then we are running identical set of tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back