Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Aug 4, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #12,721 of 13,846
A lot depends on what headphone you're using and associated gear with Elise, when you're evaluating power tubes. As @hypnos1 pointed out, that depends on what drivers you're pairing it with too. Drivers will determine the eventual sound outcome too. Then there will be different ears, different taste. 

Tubes that are quite contrasting are 6xEL3N and 6SN7/6AS7. 6xEL3N has more layers, a wider soundstage. 6SN7/6AS7 has a leaner tone by comparison. This is just using very simplistic terms to describe their differences. In actual fact, there's more to it. It's best to listen to it yourself and then you can form your own opinion. To take it even further, combine 6SN7 with 6080, then you'll get an even leaner tone.

If you're using a more 'analytical' sounding headphone like HD800 or T1, you'll probably find using 6xEL3N more suitable. If on the other hand, you're using stock HD650 or HD800S, you'll probably get a better pairing with 6SN7/6AS7 or 6080.

Everyone hears things a bit different. I do not find 6080 having a wider soundstage than 6AS7. On the contrary, 6AS7 sounds to me having a wider soundstage than 6080.

It is intriguing to tube roll with Elise. Most owners will go through that phase of self discovery. Eventually they will settle on their own favorites. Then it's time to sit back and just enjoy your music, be it Beethoven, Mozart, Metallica, Diana Krall, Lee Ritenour, Bob Dylan or James Horner.

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #12,722 of 13,846
I've been running my Fivre 6SN7 for a while now. I've not had many desires to listen to much music. I'd put something on, but after a few songs, I'd turn it off again, not really satisfied. 

Today, I decided to put in my 6N7G again, a pair of Mazdas. I'm not really one for sensationalist sound impressions, but I've gotta say, all the joy is back now. Can't get enough music. The 6SN7 has a good tonal balance, but they're very closed in. The 6N7G is very open and invites for a good soundstage. Makes all the difference to me. 

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #12,723 of 13,846
Thanks for all the feedback folks, I really appreciate it. After reading through all your comments, I'm interested in the Chatham 6AS7Gs to power the EL3N's. I'm on vacuumtubes.net and see that they are selling for 20$ a piece. Is this typically what they run for? Eventually I'll be wanting to try the Mullard 6080 and Tung Sol 7326, and the Tung Sol 5998 combinations as well. Mainly, I want to explore these power tube combinations with the EL3N's using my unmodded HD650 before I proceed with any other listening combinations. Can anyone provide me with the pricing how much these power tubes typically sell for so that I can know what to expect when I begin shopping for them? Right now, I don't really find anything missing from the 6 pack EL3N combination. When I first heard it, I was quite blown away. One thing noticeable to me was the spaciousness and how potent it sounded. Still, it got me wondering to how much better it could sound and that's what lead me back here. Thank you all! Richard

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #12,724 of 13,846
$20 a piece for Chatham 6AS7G? Are you kidding me??? I'm gonna buy me at least a pair RIGHT NOW.

Richard, don't wait. Run and buy it now at that price and I really hope it's the Chatham 6AS7G. 

Aug 4, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #12,725 of 13,846
I've been running my Fivre 6SN7 for a while now. I've not had many desires to listen to much music. I'd put something on, but after a few songs, I'd turn it off again, not really satisfied. 

Today, I decided to put in my 6N7G again, a pair of Mazdas. I'm not really one for sensationalist sound impressions, but I've gotta say, all the joy is back now. Can't get enough music. The 6SN7 has a good tonal balance, but they're very closed in. The 6N7G is very open and invites for a good soundstage. Makes all the difference to me. 

Hello Suuup..!

Hear ya! I get in the doldrums sometimes too. Glad to hear you have tubes that INSPIRE.

6N7G are great for bringing the music alive and making it exciting! I'm with ya! One of my favorite drivers for Elise is a wonderful European 6N7G derivative...

The FDD20's....such a perfect balance of tight, articulated bass, smooth treble, sound stage/depth and that awesome "realness" like the musicians are in the room.

Yeah for all the LUCKY ONES :)

:p

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #12,726 of 13,846
Hey UT, I'll be sure to get them tomorrow on my payday. Do you think it'd still be worth it to invest in some TS 5998 if I dive in the Chatham 6AS7G? Just would like some more info on the sonic differences before and if I decide to place the big dollars on a pair of 5998's. I'm not much interested in a clinical sound, my lean is more towards warmth, bass impact, and overall musicality. Thank you. Richard

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #12,727 of 13,846
Get the Chatham 6as7g first Richard. It has all the attributes you're looking for. Take your time with the 5998. There's no rush.

I like the 5998. It's energetic and dynamic but also expensive. I also like the Chatham 6as7g. They're both good power tubes.

Chatham 6as7g is clear and breezy with a good bass impact. 5998 has even more excitement across the frequency spectrum most notably the bass. It has a higher mu resulting in more gain... louder.

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #12,728 of 13,846
  Hey UT, I'll be sure to get them tomorrow on my payday. Do you think it'd still be worth it to invest in some TS 5998 if I dive in the Chatham 6AS7G? Just would like some more info on the sonic differences before and if I decide to place the big dollars on a pair of 5998's. I'm not much interested in a clinical sound, my lean is more towards warmth, bass impact, and overall musicality. Thank you. Richard

Hi Richard.

Chathams for $20?...I'm afraid it looks to me like the "tube list" page is like 100 yrs behind the latest price  list LOL!!
frown.gif
...sorry...but good luck anyway...
bigsmile_face.gif

From your leaning, I suspect very little will fill the bill more than your 6EL3Ns....
wink.gif
....but good luck with this also...
L3000.gif

Aug 5, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #12,729 of 13,846
Richard, vacuumtube.net just replied to my email. They are out of stock on the Chatham 6AS7G. It's going to be hard to find any Chatham 6AS7G anf 6520 now.

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #12,733 of 13,846
I don't remember mine starting out microphonic. But they sure are now. Plug in the 'phones and you hear several seconds of ca-chaaaaaaang ringing. Tap on the deck of the amp...it's easily heard.

I would say I have had a lot more luck that some. The unlucky one with tubes has to be aqsw...he has sold off or given away: 5998, Mazda 6N7G, and FDD20.

He could not run a bunch of tubes everyone else could.

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #12,734 of 13,846
  Chatham 6AS7G is really good. I've been running my pair for weeks now!

I really like mine too. Probably my favorite power tubes. I don't notice any microphonics - at least nothing more than most other tubes I have tried, which is almost zero.

It's a shame that apparently they are now difficult to acquire.

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #12,735 of 13,846
I haven't had any problems with my 6AS7G being microphonic at all. I have a microphonic pair of 6N7G. 

I believe I paid around 75$ for my pair including shipping? Something like that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back