Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Jun 30, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #12,391 of 13,846
  @HOWIE13, nice storage rack
biggrin.gif
, can't believe your wife doesn't have it filled up with shoes
tongue.gif
.  I was going to take a picture of my GF's shoe rack and she said "F_ _ _ N_
mad.gif

This is my storage, until I can build some stands that I can place on the side of my listening table:

Some headphones are missing: T1 (my son has it), SR-009 (in Hilo for the month), SR-40 (in storage), SR-225i (with a friend), my GF's HD-650, HD-700, QC-15 and K7XX (all in the bedroom)

She was so fed up with all my cans littering the lounge she insisted on giving me the rack and she just piles her shoes up in a cupboard-  suits me fine.

I like your storage solution too; easy to grab whatever you fancy. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #12,394 of 13,846
  Hello feliksfolk. 

I've been quiet because of a walking trip to north west Scotland. However, one of the best things about coming back from the hills is remember how lovely music is. 

My 1944 Ken Rad VT231s arrived, but unfortunately one of them hums very badly. I've got to negotiate a return with the seller. Bad bizniz. 

I've tried the stock TS reissues with the Chatham 6AS7G powers, and you know they're really not bad at all. It's easy to see how Lukasz and co. settled on them for stock - there's a good evenness about their character with a sense that all areas are 'filled in'. The Chathams really open up their character, and I'd be interested to see how they develop with a few more weeks of use. I'm pretty much done with tube rolling now - I'll get a replacement set of early - mid 40's VT231 under my belt then be happy with my Chathams, stock TS, Ken Rad 6SN7 and whatever VT231 I settle on. Mullard 6080 on hold as an alternate power tube. 

I think I'll hold on to my 8 EL3N in case a) I ever get a lower gain power amp with which I can use them not have the background noise (I'm convinced that the massive gain of my fairly beefy power amp ensures that noise that might not normally be audible, or only just audible, gets made a little louder) and b) in case they become worth a bit more money :)

I feel pretty spoiled for tubes to be honest, and ultimately it's about the music for me - so all my spare tubes are now packed up into a large box and are going into the attic. My aim is to forget completely about tube rolling, and maximise the listening. 

I love the luscious bass of those K-R's. Iconic tube and therefore not cheap, but worth it for my ears (and yours too).

I have one that intermittently buzzed and hummed, really horribly. Tracked down the problem to a slightly loose bottle within the base. I could position the bottle so it stopped being noisy only for it to start up again after a few minutes.

So I positioned the bottle so it was quiet and then squirted Super Glue onto the bottle /base interface and now it's stuck in a position where it doesn't buzz/hum anymore. 

A bit drastic but it worked.

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #12,399 of 13,846
  And yes @UntilThen corrected me on the tube types in previous post. It is in fact 6n7 not 7n7. Fingers and mind are not co-operating yet, not that they did before either. One other question for UT, are there any tubes you DON'T have?  You can spend the next five years and not hear the same tubes twice, and yes I really like the Visseaux 6n7G's they are superb sounding with the 5998's

I really love my Visseaux 6A6G/TS7236 combination.I hadn't even thought about the 6A6Gs in months, but I tried the combination after reading about your experience with the 6N7s and it may become my top combo. It really is special. I think the 6A6 has the same electrical characteristics as the 6N7s. The notes I wrote when I bought the 6A6Gs say the Fivres are supposed to be better, but I never looked for a pair. The 6A6Gs require a large, ugly white marshmallo 6A6 to 6SN7 adapter.

It really is pretty amazing how many different tubes the Elise excels with.

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #12,401 of 13,846
I really love my Visseaux 6A6G/TS7236 combination.I hadn't even thought about the 6A6Gs in months, but I tried the combination after reading about your experience with the 6N7s and it may become my top combo. It really is special. I think the 6A6 has the same electrical characteristics as the 6N7s. The notes I wrote when I bought the 6A6Gs say the Fivres are supposed to be better, but I never looked for a pair. The 6A6Gs require a large, ugly white marshmallo 6A6 to 6SN7 adapter.

6A6 is the 6N7G, in an 'earlier than Octal' base.

Yeah to the 6N7G, family of tubes.

You don't see the Visseaux or the Fivre's 6A6G as often, these days.

Enjoy!

:p

Jun 30, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #12,403 of 13,846
  I feel pretty spoiled for tubes to be honest, and ultimately it's about the music for me - so all my spare tubes are now packed up into a large box and are going into the attic. My aim is to forget completely about tube rolling, and maximise the listening. 

That's the right thing to do. Just listen to music. Close your eyes. Sit back and enjoy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back