Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Jun 19, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #12,001 of 13,846
  Yes, saucer would be a good description. All I know about this tube is that it was made for the military in the 1950's.
Below are the pictures of the tops of three. Unfortunately, the chrome covers some of the top and light is reflecting around the glass as well.
Also, as you can see I'm not much of a photographer.
Appreciate your input.

thnx for the pix ... yep, hard to see clearly, but saucer-shaped getters are a primary clue to soviet-ski origins for old tubes .... that & cyrillic letters, haaha

Jun 19, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #12,002 of 13,846
Hi,

Encountered a problem with my set-up - one channel barely has sound; then other one is OK. After much soul searching; I mean cable searching, I couldn't figure it out.

Switched wires, switched tubes, inputs etc etc. Driving me crazy - can't find the problem...Perish the thought - could it be the amp????

There is only one thing to do: System Restore. Pulled out all the multiple tubes and inserted the stock TS and OTK Svetlana tubes.

Holding my breath: Yippee - everything back to normal - both channels are just fine. Must be a bad tube somewhere - have to check the tubes one by one - no patience for that now. But something else:

The stock combination sounds just great! The bass is deep and satisfying (just slightly soft, but I like it). I think I am becoming like UT - I like everything with the Elise. Just not dead tubes or bad connections....

And the stock tube complement is 100% Humphrey.

We r the lucky ones.....

Good one, Mordy...glad you didn't have a short between plate and cathode, like I did :)

Know you were relieved when default tubes restored the goodness :)

I have settled on Ken Rad VT-231 as drivers and 2x 6BL7 as powers. Absolutely superb sound, could not ask for a more beautiful rendition of my musical selections.

Cheers and again, happy for you.

Cheers, also, to all the Lucky Ones and Happy Fathers' day to all the dads, here.

:p

Jun 19, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #12,003 of 13,846
  Thanks- I'll just stick with tube rolling for now! 
biggrin.gif

that's what i'm doing too ... altho i do reckon that one place where the elise might benefit from is replacing coupling caps (typically 0.1 to 0.2uF, 400-600v) with jensen coppers or audyn true coppers. 

hmmm ... looks like they are using audyn's ... but q4 ... can't see the values.

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #12,006 of 13,846
I liked that combo also, a very nice sound. UT suggested that a few months back, tried it a couple of times and like it each time.  Still want to get as many hours as I can on the El3N's to see if they change much with time. I really like the 6 pack.  Looks nice and balanced as well. Speaking of balance, did you young'uns  realize that if you drink a whole bottle of scotch, you balance goes all overt. Must be an old guy thing, I don't remember it being this severe before.  Oh well just turn up the music and things feel better.

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #12,007 of 13,846
  I liked that combo also, a very nice sound. UT suggested that a few months back, tried it a couple of times and like it each time.  Still want to get as many hours as I can on the El3N's to see if they change much with time. I really like the 6 pack.  Looks nice and balanced as well. Speaking of balance, did you young'uns  realize that if you drink a whole bottle of scotch, you balance goes all overt. Must be an old guy thing, I don't remember it being this severe before.  Oh well just turn up the music and things feel better.

I don't know about scotch but tequila does wonders with lowering inhibitions and cloths
wink_face.gif
.  Depending on what the definition of "old guy" is I'm really slowing down these days, killed 2 bottles of Dobel with 3 girls last night, used to be able to bounce back by lunch but I'm still hanging at 2:30pm.  Music does really does help, but just light jazz and easy listening for now

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #12,008 of 13,846
I hear ya,if this keeps up, have to switch to cheaper brand!  Well at least I should sleep for a few hours tonite.  Boy the keys on this keyboard keep moving, have to keep going back over everything, better stop now.  Fingers hitting more than two keys at a time is not a new speed typing style, whew, that took a while.

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #12,015 of 13,846
Sorry no GEC 6AS7's @Lord Raven...isn't there an App to bid last seconds in your behalf?

Here is another one for, LR, anyone hip enough to have known about that Bill Evans w/the George Russell Orchestra album...needs to know about this great album:

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEmkK_qgJ0M[/VIDEO]

Cheers to the growing family of LUCKY ONES...

:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back